'Nomad Capitalist' (famous expat vlogger) suggests many Thai expats are 'clingy'

Jingthing

Andrew Henderson probabably makes very little from selling his book ot YouTube views. Where he really makes his money is investing in places that are yet to boom or are undervalued (Cambodia some years ago) and also by advising on "legal offshore tax strategies, investment immigration, and global citizenship". Aiming at seven and eight figure entrepreneurs and investors who want to "go where they're treated best" - That's seven and eight figures in USD NOT THB!

This rules out virtually all expats in Thailand.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lacrimas said:

Yeah sure Andrew. Keep praising yourself and your little known fame/website. When money from your daddy will be over will you crawl back in your parents basement? 'Nomad Capitalist' my ass. 

Creating videos stating the obvious is easy. Why don't you think instead that maybe people have families, jobs or something serious that keeps them here?

Struck a nerve huh? 

So you have inside info on how much of his funding had come from his family or you just made assumptions. 

I don't really care. He's not running for political office. 

BTW I recall he said that he's married and one of his recurring themes like it or not is that being married and even with children should not be a real excuse to not follow the nomadic entrepreneur lifestyle if that's what you want. 

13 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

Andrew Henderson probabably makes very little from selling his book ot YouTube views. Where he really makes his money is investing in places that are yet to boom or are undervalued (Cambodia some years ago) and also by advising on "legal offshore tax strategies, investment immigration, and global citizenship". Aiming at seven and eight figure entrepreneurs and investors who want to "go where they're treated best" - That's seven and eight figures in USD NOT THB!

This rules out virtually all expats in Thailand.

Yes my assumption is that his consulting is his core business and the videos promote that. He does appear to be a real expert on things like multiple passport strategies, international business tax planning etc. 

Edited by Jingthing

13 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Struck a nerve huh? 

So you have inside info on how much of his funding had come from his family or you just made assumptions. 

I don't really care. He's not running for political office. 

BTW I recall he said that he's married and one of his recurring themes like it or not is that being married and even with children should not be a real excuse to not follow the nomadic entrepreneur lifestyle if that's what you want. 

BTW I don't give a <deleted> about being a nomad. It sucks. I prefer having a nice house in a nice place doing my work from home business that doesn't make a lot but still is enough to have a luxury life. Moving from one place to another all the time doesn't fit my lifestyle. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yes my assumption is that his consulting is his core business and the videos promote that. He does appear to be a real expert on things like multiple passport strategies, international business tax planning etc. 

Agreed, YouTube is a great portal for free advertising services such as his. Faced with losing hundreds of thousands or millions in taxes each year verses paying him well for tax strategy advice it's easy to see the value he could well offer. Clearly his knowledge in these things is worth a lot to wealthy people.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

Not really but he's not ugly so add that to all the other things that he has going for him and it's understandable that some bitter people will want to tear him down. 

Well I'm not tearing him down because I didn't review his services negatively or commented on his videos. I'm just saying he smells fishy like many other gurus. 

2 minutes ago, Lacrimas said:

BTW I don't give a <deleted> about being a nomad. It sucks. I prefer having a nice house in a nice place doing my work from home business that doesn't make a lot but still is enough to have a luxury life. Moving from one place to another all the time doesn't fit my lifestyle. 

Of course that lifestyle isn't for everyone. Being an expat of any kind is not for everyone. NC guy has never suggested that it's for everyone either. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lacrimas said:

Well I'm not tearing him down because I didn't review his services negatively or commented on his videos. I'm just saying he smells fishy like many other gurus. 

It's smart to be skeptical and  cautious before forking over money for any kind of service. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

I get it that many people resent people that appear to have it all. 

Relative youth 

Good looks for a white guy

Wealth

Health

Business success 

Nice owned housing in the best urban neighborhoods scattered throughout the world 

High intelligence 

Some degree of fame among his target international expat entrepreneur audience

You had him in a Post Up before, with a vid. Obviously something about him appeals to you. ... Below a review of his book he was hawking in that video

A Long-Winded Sales Pitch that Lacked Substance -

I expected real, substantial information about 2nd passport acquisition, offshore banking laws, overseas investment, etc. - in other words, the stuff that's in the title of the book. Rather than write chapters that focused on these topics, he wrote a self-helpy book that told you that yes, you too can travel the world and find ways to reduce your taxes.

The book always alluded and tantalized you with information, but it got stuck on this paternal, parental advice-giving, and never actually gave you the meat. Compare that with books like Millionaire Expat: How To Build Wealth Living Overseas, which is overflowing with citations, data, and sources. Yes, the topic is different, but you can see how different the writing style is ... and, ultimately, the purpose of the book.

The entire purpose of the book - which won't surprise you if you've seen Henderson's other work - was to sell his consulting services, which he finally did at the very end.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not all that surprising is it?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

You had him in a Post Up before, with a vid. Obviously something about him appeals to you. ... Below a review of his book he was hawking in that video

I expected real, substantial information about 2nd passport acquisition, offshore banking laws, overseas investment, etc. - in other words, the stuff that's in the title of the book. Rather than write chapters that focused on these topics, he wrote a self-helpy book that told you that yes, you too can travel the world and find ways to reduce your taxes.

The book always alluded and tantalized you with information, but it got stuck on this paternal, parental advice-giving, and never actually gave you the meat. Compare that with books like Millionaire Expat: How To Build Wealth Living Overseas, which is overflowing with citations, data, and sources. Yes, the topic is different, but you can see how different the writing style is ... and, ultimately, the purpose of the book.

The entire purpose of the book - which won't surprise you if you've seen Henderson's other work - was to sell his consulting services, which he finally did at the very end.

No. Not at all surprising. He's in business. If he gave all his expertise away in a low cost book it wouldn't be a very lucrative one. I don't think he's really hiding that.

47 minutes ago, Lacrimas said:

You don't need to travel to follow the "nomad capitalist" lifestyle. That's what he teach. It's more about a legal way to pay no to low tax by having your business in juridictions that allow so. Sure you might need to go there to open bank account and sign papers but you don't need to live in a suitcase and he doesn't do so. 

40 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

Yes you pay him for his expertise or you can try by yourself and potentially lose time or make costly mistakes. 

1 hour ago, Tayaout said:

You don't need to travel to follow the "nomad capitalist" lifestyle. That's what he teach. It's more about a legal way to pay no to low tax by having your business in juridictions that allow so. Sure you might need to go there to open bank account and sign papers but you don't need to live in a suitcase and he doesn't do so. 

So nomad is not an appropriate term. Expat capitalist would be better.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Lacrimas said:

So nomad is not an appropriate term. Expat capitalist would be better.

Yes he started as a nomad... He travelled hundred of countries and tried to open bank account or setup business. Now you could say he is officially living in Malaysia but still spend time in other countries for business/real estate. His philosophy is more about officially living in a country, having a business in another one and do banking in another one. It fits some people especially those who can manage their business remotely. So it's more the business that is nomadic and can move easily if needed. 

Edited by Tayaout
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I get it that many people resent people that appear to have it all. 

Relative youth 

Good looks for a white guy

Wealth

Health

Business success 

Nice owned housing in the best urban neighborhoods scattered throughout the world 

High intelligence 

Some degree of fame among his target international expat entrepreneur audience

I consider myself a kind of street wise kinda guy, and one look at this guy with his Lacoste T-shirt, and listening to him blabber on while rolling his eyes around when talking, just about summed him up for me, he's a "wanna be".

I don't resent him, I know lots of millionaires, who by the way are still working in their 50's, 60' 70's, and in my books, the only two ways you "can be" is by either inheriting it, or earning it, no short cuts in my books, and I wish him every success in trying, but what is he selling, I mean anyone with half a brain can work it out, i.e. unless his audience are young, thick and don't want to work. 

Poor old humble me retired here 4 years ago at the age of 55, living comfortably off of my life savings, I survive off tax free investments, which also increase in value, and are (capital gains tax free).

I know where I want to be, because I put in the hard yarns, so I'm addicted to Thailand, yeh I'm clingy, while all of the millionaires that I know are still working and paying taxes, funny that ????

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I consider myself a kind of street wise kinda guy, and one look at this guy with his Lacoste T-shirt, and listening to him blabber on while rolling his eyes around when talking, just about summed him up for me, he's a "wanna be".

I don't resent him, I know lots of millionaires, who by the way are still working in their 50's, 60' 70's, and in my books, the only two ways you "can be" is by either inheriting it, or earning it, no short cuts in my books, and I wish him every success in trying, but what is he selling, I mean anyone with half a brain can work it out, i.e. unless his audience are young, thick and don't want to work. 

Poor old humble me retired here 4 years ago at the age of 55, living comfortably off of my life savings, I survive off tax free investments, which also increase in value, and are (capital gains tax free).

I know where I want to be, because I put in the hard yarns, so I'm addicted to Thailand, yeh I'm clingy, while all of the millionaires that I know are still working and paying taxes, funny that ????

You make all those conclusions based on his shirt? OK. Whatever buddy. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

Why are you trying so hard to big him up ? Are you related or do you have the hots for him ? Why would any of us take his advice !!! 

When did you stop beating your wife? 

I'm not trying hard to do anything here. 

Not related. 

Don't have the hots. 

I do find his videos amusing and informative. His philosophy about expatriation, national identity, and investment tactics are provocative and food for thought even if you don't agree with everything he says which of course I don't. 

I'm not in his target market for consulting so he won't see money from me. 

On the specific point of questioning the rationality of some expats here going overboard to play  games to stay in Thailand when the government obviously wants them out, yes I agree with that. 

17 hours ago, Jingthing said:

He's not a newbie. He's been a nomadic entrepreneur expat for several years. He doesn't even like Thailand much but recognizes many people do so he covers it such as in his video about the Elite visa. He's renounced his US citizenship and has numerous passports which is hardly a newbie thing to do. Obviously he has an extremely international perspective. 

The countries that he has become more involved with include Montenegro, Georgia, Colombia, Cambodia and Malaysia which I think is his favorite. He's a big fan of Mexico City from an international business POV. 

He only mentioned Thailand briefly and then only to say that some expats can't

let go of their love for the country, the rest of the video was waffle, delivered in that awful

American accent honed by vloggers