'Nomad Capitalist' (famous expat vlogger) suggests many Thai expats are 'clingy'

Jingthing

20 hours ago, Jingthing said:

He doesn't live in Thailand and I don't think he ever has. He's just not a fan. He has lived and invested in Cambodian and Malaysian real estate through. 

He recently bought an apartment in one of the best neighborhoods in Bogota Colombia which he had renovated. 

Bob the builder

3 hours ago, shy coconut said:

He only mentioned Thailand briefly and then only to say that some expats can't

let go of their love for the country, the rest of the video was waffle, delivered in that awful

American accent honed by vloggers

I think that's his actual accent. Should he fake another one? 

2 hours ago, Aspaltso said:

I'm a member of Andrew Henderson's "Nomad Capitalist" group, and I have to say he is quite sharp when it comes to global investment opportunities in Real Estate and other ventures. He probably shouldn't talk so personal in making statements about expats in Thailand, however he does have a point when it comes to investment opportunities in Thailand. Foreigners haven't been successful here because "the welcome mat" isn't available. He lives, and works primarily out of KL which is a better investment opportunity for western expats, and perhaps he's had experience in Thailand. So he shot his mouth off a bit here, but I still value a lot of what this guy says.

He wasn't talking about all expats in Thailand. He was talking about the subgroup of expats that are explicitly not welcome here by the government and he questioned the twisty turny games such people play to get to stay longer in a host country that clearly wants them gone. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

Never heard of him. For what my views are worth, at nearly 80 years old and having lived and worked in many countries on 3 continents, Thailand is by far and away the best place to be. Nothing 'clingy' about it, just my opinion based on a lifetime's experience.

His point was that it would be clingy if Thailand was explicitly trying to kick you out depending on your specific visa situation and you continued to resist that by playing all kinds of inevitably futile games. He never said that people like you that are happy here and have their visa situation sorted are clingy.

I doubt he would describe retirees who have begun to feel unwelcome in Thailand but are trying to hang on hoping that things will improve in the future as "clingy."

Any retiree who has 'begun to feel unwelcome in Thailand but is trying to hang on hoping that things will improve in the future' is IMHO, living in cloud-cuckoo land! 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Any retiree who has 'begun to feel unwelcome in Thailand but is trying to hang on hoping that things will improve in the future' is IMHO, living in cloud-cuckoo land! 

It's interesting that you mention retirement status people. In the context of NC's comments, I consider them somewhat in the middle of being secure enough and clingy, specifically depending on their particular personal situation. There are so many variables. A person's income. A person's age. A person's nationality in respect to the income letter thing. A person's interest in doing combo method. A person's health. A person's willingness or ability to tie up the 800K if income method wont work. A person's willingness or ability to go for the Elite program.  Yes the possibility that O based people will sooner or later come under the health insurance thing is a very real concern. So this is a personal thing and each person needs to look at their own situation and try to be honest about how precarious their long term prospects are here. If a person is OK just living here year to year and is ready to leave on short notice, then I don't think that's clingy. If a person is starting to realize that things will probably deteriorate for them or they're already running to visa agents because they can't legitimately qualify, then it might be time to face the realities. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I had thought that the TVF video forum rules applied elsewhere - but hey ho !

Embed your best Thailand related videos, except Thai Royal issues and political. The video forum is not a platform for vloggers and video creators to shamelessly plug their own content. Normal forum rules apply.

1 minute ago, URMySunshine said:

I had thought that the TVF video forum rules applied elsewhere - but hey ho !

Embed your best Thailand related videos, except Thai Royal issues and political. The video forum is not a platform for vloggers and video creators to shamelessly plug their own content. Normal forum rules apply.

Are you campaigning for one of those cushy mod jobs?

Anyway, I find your accusation petty and ridiculous.

There is specific Thai content in the video I posted.

I set the play button up to start at that Thai content.

Bye. 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Are you campaigning for one of those cushy mod jobs?

Anyway, I find your accusation petty and ridiculous.

There is specific Thai content in the video I posted.

I set the play button up to start at that Thai content.

Bye. 

No thanks,  that said I have spent a lot of time reading the rules recently  !

Edited by URMySunshine

3 minutes ago, URMySunshine said:

No thanks,  that said I have spent a lot of time reading the rules recently  !

If you have a problem with a topic or post, report it. Don't harass other members on the open forum with vigilante tactics. Good rule? 

8 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

If you have a problem with a topic or post, report it. Don't harass other members on the open forum with vigilante tactics. Good rule? 

I'll defer to the Right Honourable Member unless of course I had a death wish ! Vigilante mods there's a thought and a half.

//APOLOGIES//

On 2/18/2020 at 3:06 PM, Lacrimas said:

Yeah sure Andrew. Keep praising yourself and your little known fame/website. When money from your daddy will be over will you crawl back in your parents basement? 'Nomad Capitalist' my ass. 

Creating videos stating the obvious is easy. Why don't you think instead that maybe people have families, jobs or something serious that keeps them here?

One can only surmise that those such as he don't even know that farangs marry Thais and only wish to spend the rest of their life in LOS.

To financial people only money matters- sad people indeed. Wonder if he has a big poster of Gordon Gekko on this bedroom wall that he kisses every bed time.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

If a person is starting to realize that things will probably deteriorate for them or they're already running to visa agents because they can't legitimately qualify, then it might be time to face the realities. 

I used an agent because Chiang Mai kept inventing new rules, not because I didn't qualify. 

What realities would those be if one is married to a Thai, has children, has built one's own house, and invested many millions of baht into having a good life in LOS?

Who, in that situation is just going to depart, because immigration had another bad idea or three?

There is more to life for most than the financial bottom line.

• Like 1

On 2/19/2020 at 7:39 AM, Jingthing said:

He wasn't talking about all expats in Thailand. He was talking about the subgroup of expats that are explicitly not welcome here by the government and he questioned the twisty turny games such people play to get to stay longer in a host country that clearly wants them gone. 

That is a good point. People wasting thousands of baht on ED Visa that sooner or later will turn on them is ridiculous. Also visa runs to neighboring countries to extend tourist visas are e dangerous practice. 

To stay here you should either be married, retired or working. All the others are expensive half measures that a person with good personal finance knowledge would avoid.

On 2/18/2020 at 12:53 PM, Jingthing said:

Yeah. Sure. But if you're a digital nomad why bother with a place where it's so easy to end up in immigration detention when there are many other pleasant places where you'll actually be welcome? 

Yeah like Cambodia, Malaysia, Colombia, Montenagro ... all of which have not so easy regulations, corruption, some violence. Do you really want to live in a country where the gov't, police are lawless? I some of these countries you can easily find yourself on the wrong side the unaccountable cops. 

On 2/17/2020 at 11:23 PM, BritManToo said:

The pussy and beer are overpriced, and the weed is over-policed.

Still some decent hiking and cycling.

Mr. Anderson's audience is not the playboy traveller but the businessman who wants

to save on taxes.

he clearly explains that the main purpose of his "nomad" advice is to save on the high taxes

in the western / rich world.

as he explains in this video and others, an entrepeneur who pays 40-50% taxes can save up to

all his taxes, legally, just by moving to another country, where the income tax is 0, and by

doing so for few years , millions of USD can be saved, which are equivalent to many years

of hard work.

From this point of view, thailand can be an interesting place, because the tax is teritorial and not

global. means, thailand will tax a thai tax resident only on profits gained in thailand, or while he

is in thailand, and not on all his global income, as the US does.

problem is, that laws in thailand are very flexible, fluid, given to interpretations and

changing according to the mood and connections of the court / policeman ,

we can all remember in horror the case of the dutchman who was sentenced to 100 years in jail

for "laundring drug money", while he acctually was the legal owner of legal "coffee shops" in the netherlands...so yes, thailand is becoming quite a dangerous place, where

not only criminals can risk your life and wealth, but

also unexpected laws and / or interpertations of the laws.

• Thanks 1