Vietnam visa exempt leaving over land

I'm planning to spend 10 days in Vietnam on visa exempt (German passport). Then over land to Cambodia and over land to Thailand.

First, their immigration rules ask for a flight out of the country (but so do Myanmar immigration rules, and I have entered 6 times on Tourist Visa without having a flight out, and without being asked for a flight out, but at check-in they always asked for my visa). How is this enforced?

Second, airline might ask for a flight out of the country. I will probably be flying (Bangkok to Hanoi) with Thai Air Asia, Thai Lion Air or VietJet Air. Any experience with these?

As I will need a visa for Cambodia, I could get that in advance (evisa) and print it out. But a visa for a neighboring country is not a flight of Vietnam.

I'm a cheapskate, so I don't want to spend money on a flight that I'm not going to use (could delay that by arriving early at the airport, so I have time to book a flight if check-in requires one; and same for Vietnam immigration, book flight on the spot if they require one).

If refused entry by Vietnam immigration, I could show them my Cambodian visa and 1000 Euro in cash and tell them if they don't let me in, I'm going straight to Cambodia and spend that money there. However, to get from Hanoi airport to Cambodia, I would have to pass immigration.

My experience entering Vietnam with a visa or visa invite: the airline wants to see this at check-in and aren't worried about a return/onward flight. However, I usually book r/t flights so they can probably see that booking when they check me in. Maybe if I had a o/w to Vietnam, they would ask? However, once there, Vietnam Immigration doesn't ask about the return/onward flight.

When using a visa-exempt entry, although the airline may ask about a return ticket, the Vietnam Immigration officer will want to see proof of return or onward air travel. Printed or electronic on a smartphone are both acceptable. I am pretty sure the Vietnam visa-exempt is only for airport ingress/egress and not at land borders.

I recently flew Thailand to Vietnam (not on your route) on a one way ticket with Thai VietjetAir, with the intention of gaining 15 day visa exemption on entry.  I was required to show an onward ticket at both airport check in and at arrival immigration.

Untill at least not that long ago VN could only process visa free entry for certain nationals at the 2 main airports. Thus also the exit of Vietnam on such an entry stamp. Not possible at any land border. In all other cases one needed to have a prearranged visa. In this respect it differed from Burma/Myanmar. VN immigr. will not be particularly impressed by showing an amount of cash US$-your main hurdle will come before that stage.

This may-or may not yet-have changed, but I have never seen any report about it.

BTW-if smartly booked, a direct flite on any of the budget airls (ThaiViet most often cheapest) back to DMK/BKK and with only hand-luggage, may cost less as the 2 bus fares HCMC-PnPn and PnPn-BKK, or replace SmReap for Pnpn. So its not that much cheapskate. Unless its of course fixed plan to also visit Cambodia.

In 2016, I entered Vietnam over land by public bus from Phnom Penh 14 days visa free. Passports were handled by bus staff. A second trip in 2016 by airplane, I don't remember and didn't write down details (nowadays I write down all the details, e.g. when flying to Myanmar, check-in staff always asked about my visa letter, but never asked about flight out of Myanmar).

Overland via Cambodia is not to save money. I want to spend about 2 weeks out of Thailand, but want to split it between Vietnam and Cambodia. From Cambodia, I want to take a visa exempt over land to Thailand (Surin; not Poipet!). If refused there, I can stay longer in Cambodia and try a different land border or fly.

On 2/17/2020 at 11:03 PM, ChristianPFC said:

Second, airline might ask for a flight out of the country. I will probably be flying (Bangkok to Hanoi) with Thai Air Asia, Thai Lion Air or VietJet Air. Any experience with these?

Yeah, they won't let you board the flight at Bangkok without an air ticket out of the country.

And they check the ticket out is real on their phone.

This only appears to apply to people arriving on VISA waiver.

If you have a VISA or VISA invitation letter, it doesn't appear to be a problem.

Vietnam immigration, don't ask to see anything, they just ask 'how long are you staying', then stamp 14 days no matter what you answer.

When I wanted to go, Chiang Mai to Saigon (air) to Phnom Penh (bus) last April 2019.

They refused to let be board without a flight out of Vietnam, cost me 900bht for a ticket I threw away.

Bus ticket to PP not accepted, flight only.

@asanee

Bus fare from Saigon to Phnom Penh is $10, good luck getting a flight at anywhere near that price.

Your entire post is completely wrong, nothing to stop a VISA waiver entry from exiting at any land border.

In December at check-in Chiang Mai to Hanoi, I watched them refuse boarding to other passengers who didn't have air tickets out or VISA invitation letters.

@ChristianPFC

Get a VISA invitation letter for $5 online, use it to board the flight, then enter VIetnam with VISA waiver entry.

No need for a ticket out then, the airline 'should' let you board, and it's a cheaper throwaway than an air ticket out.

Archived