Thais urged to postpone visits to Japan, Singapore amid virus threat

webfact

3 hours ago, timendres said:

Soon they will be discouraging travel outside Thailand to prevent Thais from spreading the virus to other countries

What's already happening is that Thailand is now appearing on lists of countries where you're now required to quarantine yourself if you've been there.

Recent development this week from Israel:

Israel's Health Ministry expanded the restrictions to prevent the spread of the coronavirus on Sunday, and announced that travelers returning from Thailand, Hong Kong, Singapore and Macau will have to remain quarantined at home for 14 days after returning.

It's worth noting is that this applies to everyone coming from the above countries - regardless of whether they're showing any symptoms or not.

Source : https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.premium-israel-coronavirus-quarantine-thailand-hong-kong-singapore-macau-china-1.8536407

This is a big development. I like the way the Israelis are handling this situation, they're not messing around here. Good on them!

This is news in itself and should be reported as such... @webfact

As part of efforts to prevent the spread of the deadly coronavirus, Interior Minister Aryeh Deri on Monday said Israel would ban all non-Israelis who were in four East Asian countries and territories in the previous 14 days.

Source : https://www.timesofisrael.com/israel-bans-foreigners-coming-from-east-asian-countries-over-virus-fears/

The ban now appears to be more comprehensive that I had first noticed - non Israelis who've been in the listed countries recently are now banned from going to Israel now according to 'The times of Israel' - developing very recent story. There will be some diplomatic fallout from this.

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Beggars belief that they are encouraging the Thai populace to avoid a Chinese plague in Japan whilst at the same time encouraging more Chinese tourism !

Is there any restriction on Thai's travelling to China or would that not be PC from a Thai ( the little general) perspective? 

Please Thais, don't go abroad. Spend your money in Thailand. Get the virus in Thailand.

Non of the information in Thailand about the spreading of the virus can be true. The government control all informations about it and don't let the truth spread out to the people !

I am ending a 6-day break in Singapore. Superbly organised as you might expect. Hand cleansing at every location, temperature checks etc. 80% of locals are not wearing masks as asked by their Government. Queues everywhere for restaurants as has always been the case, but all shops and supermarkets are operating perfectly normally. No panic here.....just elsewhere it would seem.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, manhood said:

Please Thais, don't go abroad. Spend your money in Thailand. Get the virus in Thailand.

Non of the information in Thailand about the spreading of the virus can be true. The government control all informations about it and don't let the truth spread out to the people !

That's one sick puppy!

While Singapore and Japan have the most confirmed cases (77 and 66 respectively as of today) outside of China and the Diamond Princess, I'd feel infinitely more "safe" (contracting/treatment) in those countries than here.

I returned from Singapore (~ 7 days) last night.

This seems like an "odd" advisory?

Another case of "Thais pointing at things"?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sungod said:

I'm baffled the way they are handling this, there is no consistency. A cruise ship and all its passengers are banned from entering, Thais are told to postpone travel to Japan and Singapore. Yet there are no restrictions on travel to or from China and the latest confirmed case in Thailand on Monday (from the paper we cannot quote) is a Chinese tourist from.........wait for it................Wuhan! duhhh........

All these other places don't have a general to keep things under control no need to be baffled ????

2 hours ago, sungod said:

I'm baffled the way they are handling this, there is no consistency. A cruise ship and all its passengers are banned from entering, Thais are told to postpone travel to Japan and Singapore. Yet there are no restrictions on travel to or from China and the latest confirmed case in Thailand on Monday (from the paper we cannot quote) is a Chinese tourist from.........wait for it................Wuhan! duhhh........

There is no way they can upset their Chinese overlords. I think this whole outbreak has really shown everyone here just how crucial China are. 

Thailand: Population 69,040,000 ppl / 65 cases / 0.000051% of population have contracted Covid-19 / 0.05 per 100,000 ppl

Japan: Population: 126,800,000 ppl / 35 cases / 0.000050% of population have contracted Covid-19 / 0.05 per 100,000 ppl

Singapore: Population: 5,616,000 ppl / 77 cases / 0.0013% of population have contracted Covid-19 / 1.37% of population. 

Stats alone place Thailand and Japan at an equal footing with regards to numbers per number of population.

Singapore has greater risk.

Thus - on stats alone, being in Thailand or being in Japan poses equal risk, although the act of travelling itself places us at greater risk due to proximity with other people.

As someone else wrote - this is just another case of ’Thai’s pointing at things’... a somewhat juvenile ’speciality’ of Thailand in an attempt to deflect from its poor home grown measures. 

I traveled through the airport on Sunday night: They had the ‘IR cameras set up’ but nothing more intelligent than that, none of the most common sense basics such as ‘disinfecting hand gel / spray’ at the immigration counters after everyone else before you has touched the same finger print scanner. 

Fair enough Thailand, point the finger but do so intelligently.... Do better yourselves, especially at the first port of call, the single point of entry with the highest risk of contracting this virus in a tightly packed immigration queue, finger print scanner and busy baggage hall....

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

The Public Health Ministry has advised Thais planning trips to Singapore and Japan to postpone their visits, citing the rising number of people infected by the coronavirus in the two countries.

Which in simple terms means, Stay home and spend your ill gotten gains here and don't be giving anything to anybody outside the country, unless it's the coronavirus.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, notasmartassknowitallfarag said:

Keep letting the Chinese in though where the absolute majority of cases come from. Japan ( most on a cruise liner) and Singapore are minuscule in comparison. 

Can’t lose face to their Chinese investment leaders.  

Not while there are railways to be built and tourists to be fleeced anyway.

6 hours ago, sungod said:

Four big loud Chinese youths were travelling up the escalator in front of me in Big C Pattaya Klang at the weekend. None of them wore masks.

9 minutes ago, jesimps said:

Four big loud Chinese youths were travelling up the escalator in front of me in Big C Pattaya Klang at the weekend. None of them wore masks.

And..............................................................?????????????? Perhaps none of them had the virus or were nurses!!!!!!!