Thai consulate in NY says that monthly income is no longer acceptable.

I recently was unable to renew retirement visa because of the bank transfer situation. I am back in US and telephoned Thai consulate in NY. The agent told me that the monthly income , method is no longer acceptable to obtain non-imm O retirement visa. Only the 800,000 baht bankaccount way. When I asked him why this was, he said because the monthly income is "difficult to prove." I questioned him why this was, as it does not seem difficult, he became very angry and just kept repeating, "difficult to prove, difficult to prove". Then he hung up.

Is this true? Have they changed the rules yet again? I know people are sick of this topic, but I have wife and child in Thailand and if this is true I will not be able to live there for a long term anymore.

Thanks for reply, but for me 400,000 baht is not possible. I do not have that much money. I have more than enough monthly income to qualify, but I have suffered numerous financial setbacks last year. Do you know if health insurance from thai company is required formarriage visa.

2 hours ago, CharlieK said:

Why don't you try and get a non-imm O based on marriage? Then you only need 400,000 in a Thai bank account. Would probably need to start all over again with the requirements based on marriage and supporting a Thai family. 

So you claim this?? In Sweden applying for  non O based on marriage with a thai wife doesn´t need any proof of income t all... You mean it is that different in the USA? I dont think so really. maybe checking the rules again,??

It says at the embassy in Stockholm;

Spouse of a Thai citizen

1. A copy of your valid spouse Thai passport ***Must have a signature from the owner**
  2. A copy of your spouse Thai house registration and Thai ID-Card***Must have a signature from the owner**
  3.  A copy of marriage certificate (from Thailand or Sweden)
  4. Personbevis (familjebevis) identifying the marriage status and relationship to you

Nothing more......

glegolo

• Like 1

1 minute ago, glegolo said:

You mean it is that different in the USA? I dont think so really. maybe checking the rules again,??

TV is full of posts comparing the "rules" of one visa as set out at a consulate in one country vs. the "rules" set out at a consulate in another country

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

TV is full of posts comparing the "rules" of one visa as set out at a consulate in one country vs. the "rules" set out at a consulate in another country

Answer the question instead. Have you checked the rules or just writing now??? Maybe this have have not even been checked maybe just talked to an agent of some sort...

glegolo

Edited by glegolo

extension based on marriage is also a lot of hoops.  Could you not do a 6 month visa and start the transfer process while building up your finances in the bank.  yes 400 is a lot but it is doable in a year.

I deal with PT and can tell you that while they are easy going they are really not liking the monthly letters( yes they accept them but they still ask about bank accounts.  For a lot of immigration staff they really are not sure of the differences.

Going to another embassy or consulate will not help because eventually you are going to have to get in contact with the Thai immigration here and they can simply refuse everything.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

Could you not do a 6 month visa and start the transfer process while building up your finances in the bank.  yes 400 is a lot but it is doable in a year.

What 6 month visa?

He could get a single entry non-o visa based upon marriage and do a couple of transfers into a Thai bank and then apply for the one year extension using the income option. No need for any money in the bank.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, tomahawk said:

I recently was unable to renew retirement visa because of the bank transfer situation. I am back in US and telephoned Thai consulate in NY. The agent told me that the monthly income , method is no longer acceptable to obtain non-imm O retirement visa.

Tomahawk, 

I was told a couple of years ago that there were only two places to get the Non O-A Visa.  Washington DC and Los Angeles.  

Here is the link to the Royal Thai Embassy in Washington.  It still shows the 65,000 THB as an acceptable method.  Maybe the Thai consulates in the USA are adopting the Thai way of doing business and each location makes up its own rules. 

https://thaiembdc.org/consular-services/non-immigrant-visas/non-immigrant-category-oa/

Visa.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

Tomahawk, 

I was told a couple of years ago that there were only two places to get the Non O-A Visa.  Washington DC and Los Angeles.  

Here is the link to the Royal Thai Embassy in Washington.  It still shows the 65,000 THB as an acceptable method.  Maybe the Thai consulates in the USA are adopting the Thai way of doing business and each location makes up its own rules. 

https://thaiembdc.org/consular-services/non-immigrant-visas/non-immigrant-category-oa/

Visa.JPG

The OP is not looking for an "O-A" visa as they are only for retirement, the OP is looking for the 90 day Non-Imm "O" visa on the basis of marriage which is a different visa altogether.

Here is a suggestion to the OP. Enter Thailand on either a visa exempt or a visa on arrival and then go to Savannakhet, Laos and apply for a 1 year Non-Imm "O" Multi Entry visa based on marriage, this visa will cost you 5000baht and there are no financials required. The thing with this visa is that you must do a border run every 90 days and if you do a border run 2 days before the visa expires you will get another 90 day stamp in your passport and then a couple of days before that expires you go to the local immigration office and you get a 60 day extension which will give you 17 months to either get the 400000 baht into the bank or to get the 40000 baht per month for 12 months deposited into your bank account before you change over the the marriage extension. Doing it this way it gives you that time to arrange the financial things and it will give you the financial records that you need.

4 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

The OP is not looking for an "O-A" visa as they are only for retirement, the OP is looking for the 90 day Non-Imm "O" visa on the basis of marriage which is a different visa altogether.

Here is a suggestion to the OP. Enter Thailand on either a visa exempt or a visa on arrival and then go to Savannakhet, Laos and apply for a 1 year Non-Imm "O" Multi Entry visa based on marriage, this visa will cost you 5000baht and there are no financials required. The thing with this visa is that you must do a border run every 90 days and if you do a border run 2 days before the visa expires you will get another 90 day stamp in your passport and then a couple of days before that expires you go to the local immigration office and you get a 60 day extension which will give you 17 months to either get the 400000 baht into the bank or to get the 40000 baht per month for 12 months deposited into your bank account before you change over the the marriage extension. Doing it this way it gives you that time to arrange the financial things and it will give you the financial records that you need.

Rusell17au 
tomahawk 

My mistake but here is the link to the Non O Visa from the Thai Embassy in the USA.  According to this, the financial requirements are very low. 

https://thaiembdc.org/consular-services/non-immigrant-visas/non-immigrant-visa-category-o/

90 day Visa.JPG

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

Actually, the OP says "I recently was unable to renew retirement visa" and "The agent told me that the monthly income , method is no longer acceptable to obtain non-imm O retirement visa." The marriage option was suggested by other posters, not by the OP (sensibly, since Thai consulates in the US don't issue Non-O visas on the basis of retirement).

1 minute ago, Thomas J said:

Rusell17au 
tomahawk 

My mistake but here is the link to the Non O Visa from the Thai Embassy in the USA.  According to this, the financial requirements are very low. 

https://thaiembdc.org/consular-services/non-immigrant-visas/non-immigrant-visa-category-o/

90 day Visa.JPG

Yes, but that is only for 90 days and then he must have the financials for his extension which is either 400000 baht in a Thai bank account in his name only for 2 months before his extension application or a minimum of 40000 baht international transfer into his Thai bank account every month.

1 minute ago, Russell17au said:

Yes, but that is only for 90 days and then he must have the financials for his extension which is either 400000 baht in a Thai bank account in his name only for 2 months before his extension application or a minimum of 40000 baht international transfer into his Thai bank account every month.

Which is why Savannhket is easier.  

The Consulate is smart and had figured out that doing these Non O visas are a money maker for them.  

12 hours ago, glegolo said:

maybe checking the rules again,??

But we all know the embassy staff are a law unto themselves. I was refused in UK on the grounds that my bank statements & certified accounts were not sufficient to prove income. They were kind enough to tell me to go away & put 40,000B in my account. After a bit of a struggle I managed it, returned the next day & was granted non-O. I didn't have 40,000B the next day.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, tomahawk said:

Thanks for reply, but for me 400,000 baht is not possible. I do not have that much money. I have more than enough monthly income to qualify, but I have suffered numerous financial setbacks last year. Do you know if health insurance from thai company is required formarriage visa.

I'll be honest with you Tomahawk, if you don't have $13,000 savings to set aside in a bank account, you might want to look to retire elsewhere or stay in the US. Thailand isn't friendly any more and it is very expensive. 

The law here hasn't been changed. But, and it is a long time since I got my retirement "visa", such visas could not be issued outside of Thailand. The process then was to obtain a Non-O A visa then come over here, stick the money in an account and then apply for the retirement "visa". To my knowledge it hasn't changed in the past 15 years.

Is it just me or does anyone else know that yesterday was President’s Day in the United States which means the Thai Embassy and Consulates in the US were all closed yesterday as they always are for US and Thai holidays. Hmmm ????.... 

19 minutes ago, EricS said:

Is it just me or does anyone else know that yesterday was President’s Day in the United States which means the Thai Embassy and Consulates in the US were all closed yesterday as they always are for US and Thai holidays. Hmmm ????.... 

The OP did not say he called yesterday. Read the OP again.

He apparently said non-o for retirement but meant a OA long stay visa.

many times the answers you get from thai officers, abroad and in thailand, are not accurate and not 

proffesional simply because the person in charge is not in the know, even if this is his job, or he is

not educated enough or just having a bad day hair.

one solution is to call again few days later, or call another consulate / office, and hope for 

someone more educated to answer

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The OP did not say he called yesterday. Read the OP again.

He apparently said non-o for retirement but meant a OA long stay visa.

Yeah I did read it he didn’t actually say when he called but looks like last night our time since he posted it very early this morning our time. I thought it sounded like an OA but that would still be highly unusual for a Thai Consulate in the United States to tell him 800K baht when USD in the United States is perfectly ok. Odd. He didn’t necessarily say when he called but he posted it early this morning which was Monday afternoon in NY. Just sayin it would not be the first time anyone has ever posted anything false.