BANGKOK
tomahawk

Thai consulate in NY says that monthly income is no longer acceptable.

I recently was unable to renew retirement visa because of the bank transfer situation. I am back in US and telephoned Thai consulate in NY. The agent told me that the monthly income , method is no longer acceptable to obtain non-imm O retirement visa. Only the 800,000 baht bankaccount way. When I asked him why this was, he said because the monthly income is "difficult to prove." I questioned him why this was, as it does not seem difficult, he became very angry and just kept repeating, "difficult to prove, difficult to prove". Then he hung up.

Is this true? Have they changed the rules yet again? I know people are sick of this topic, but I have wife and child in Thailand and if this is true I will not be able to live there for a long term anymore.

Why don't you try and get a non-imm O based on marriage? Then you only need 400,000 in a Thai bank account. Would probably need to start all over again with the requirements based on marriage and supporting a Thai family. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for reply, but for me 400,000 baht is not possible. I do not have that much money. I have more than enough monthly income to qualify, but I have suffered numerous financial setbacks last year. Do you know if health insurance from thai company is required formarriage visa.

2 minutes ago, tomahawk said:

Do you know if health insurance from thai company is required formarriage visa.

Not required for the non-O visa to visit Thai wife.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, CharlieK said:

Why don't you try and get a non-imm O based on marriage? Then you only need 400,000 in a Thai bank account. Would probably need to start all over again with the requirements based on marriage and supporting a Thai family. 

So you claim this?? In Sweden applying for  non O based on marriage with a thai wife doesn´t need any proof of income t all... You mean it is that different in the USA? I dont think so really. maybe checking the rules again,??

It says at the embassy in Stockholm;

Spouse of a Thai citizen

1. A copy of your valid spouse Thai passport ***Must have a signature from the owner**
  2. A copy of your spouse Thai house registration and Thai ID-Card***Must have a signature from the owner**
  3.  A copy of marriage certificate (from Thailand or Sweden)
  4. Personbevis (familjebevis) identifying the marriage status and relationship to you

Nothing more......

glegolo

• Like 1

1 minute ago, glegolo said:

You mean it is that different in the USA? I dont think so really. maybe checking the rules again,??

TV is full of posts comparing the "rules" of one visa as set out at a consulate in one country vs. the "rules" set out at a consulate in another country

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

TV is full of posts comparing the "rules" of one visa as set out at a consulate in one country vs. the "rules" set out at a consulate in another country

Answer the question instead. Have you checked the rules or just writing now??? Maybe this have have not even been checked maybe just talked to an agent of some sort...

glegolo

Edited by glegolo

Check the websites for the other Thai Consulates in the US. Los Angeles for instance. Maybe you can use one of them and do the whole process by mail.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

extension based on marriage is also a lot of hoops.  Could you not do a 6 month visa and start the transfer process while building up your finances in the bank.  yes 400 is a lot but it is doable in a year.

I deal with PT and can tell you that while they are easy going they are really not liking the monthly letters( yes they accept them but they still ask about bank accounts.  For a lot of immigration staff they really are not sure of the differences.

Going to another embassy or consulate will not help because eventually you are going to have to get in contact with the Thai immigration here and they can simply refuse everything.

• Like 1