Israel Expands Coronavirus Quarantine to Thailand, Hong Kong Arrivals

webfact

Israel Expands Coronavirus Quarantine to Thailand, Hong Kong Arrivals

To prevent the spread of the coronavirus, travelers returning from Hong Kong, Thailand, Singapore and Macau must remain in home quarantine for 14 days ■ El Al takes a hit on direct flights to Thailand

Ido Efrati, Rina Rozenberg Kandel and Reuters

Israel.jpg

Tent with beds for potential coronavirus patients at Sheba Medical Center, February 2020.Tomer Appelbaum

Israel's Health Ministry expanded the restrictions to prevent the spread of the coronavirus on Sunday, and announced that travelers returning from Thailand, Hong Kong, Singapore and Macau will have to remain quarantined at home for 14 days after returning.

Until now, those returning from those areas had to remain at home only if they showed symptoms of the virus. Travelers returning from China had already been required to remain at home for two weeks, even without symptoms. The decision was made after a situational assessment Sunday morning by Health Minister Yaakov Litzman and a team of experts.

According to the ministry announcement, travelers coming to Israel from those areas, “Must not go out in public and must stay away from public places, including educational institutions, workplaces, public transportation, stores and places of entertainment, hospitals and clinics, for a period of 14 days from their stay in those [countries].

Full story: https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.premium-israel-coronavirus-quarantine-thailand-hong-kong-singapore-macau-china-1.8536407

-- HAARETZ 2020-02-18

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ukrules said:

It has been clarified a few hours ago, non Israelis who've visited the list of countries in the last 14 days are now barred from entering Israel, flights are being cancelled, etc.

This is an ongoing and developing story.

That's what I suspected. Thanks. 

A sensible move by Israel, if this were Ebola etc.

But, I consider the media hype around the Coronavirus / Covid-19 to have reached frenzy and somewhat of a significant over reaction

Thailand is the 5th country on the list with 35 cases and no deaths. 

There have been 5 deaths from Covid-19 outside of China. 

In China Covid-19 has a 2.58% mortality rate (72,438 cases / 1,868 deaths), that’s 2578 people per 100,000,

Outside of China Covid-19 has a 0.56% mortality rate (897 cases / 5 deaths), that’s 557 people per 100,000.

Both figures are incredibly high compared to regular seasonal flu which kills 10.6 per 100,000 people in the 50+ age range, 1 in 100,000 in the 5-16 age range, and 2 in 100,000 in the 17-49 age range. 

What is not clearly reported with Covid-19 is the mortality age range of those who have died. 

i.e. what does the risk grouping look like for us and our children ?

I’d like to know what the Mortality rate is for: 

0-5 year olds

6-16 year olds

17-50 year olds

50-65 year olds

65+ year olds 

I imagine the mortality rate to be far higher in 65+ age range than for any other age range and significantly distort the figures. 

Has anyone between the ages of 6-50 even died from this virus?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

One of the first Chinese doctor to raise the alarm died from it at 36 and there is more if you dig. Yes the vast majority seems to be 60+ and the childrens seems to be less affected. 

16 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

A sensible move by Israel, if this were Ebola etc.

But, I consider the media hype around the Coronavirus / Covid-19 to have reached frenzy and somewhat of a significant over reaction

Thailand is the 5th country on the list with 35 cases and no deaths. 

There have been 5 deaths from Covid-19 outside of China. 

In China Covid-19 has a 2.58% mortality rate (72,438 cases / 1,868 deaths), that’s 2578 people per 100,000,

Outside of China Covid-19 has a 0.56% mortality rate (897 cases / 5 deaths), that’s 557 people per 100,000.

Both figures are incredibly high compared to regular seasonal flu which kills 10.6 per 100,000 people in the 50+ age range, 1 in 100,000 in the 5-16 age range, and 2 in 100,000 in the 17-49 age range. 

What is not clearly reported with Covid-19 is the mortality age range of those who have died. 

i.e. what does the risk grouping look like for us and our children ?

I’d like to know what the Mortality rate is for: 

0-5 year olds

6-16 year olds

17-50 year olds

50-65 year olds

65+ year olds 

I imagine the mortality rate to be far higher in 65+ age range than for any other age range and significantly distort the figures. 

Yes. One of the Chinese whistle-blower Doctors died from contracting this virus at age 34.

23 minutes ago, christophe75 said:

Anoter.... perfect play, right from the "text book".

Once again, Israel shows that they are a little more rational than other -deluded- countries. 

And eventualy, smarter

First China... Then in front of the obvious growth of the pandemic in south east Asia (along with all their lies and "face saving" BS)... this announcement.

It makes perfect sense for a government who truely cares. And who doesnt care about BS "face" and "money" and "tourism" !

It's already easy to forecast the next move :

Japan and South Korea. And Malaysia.

Borders work, borders have a use in front of a pandemic, borders have a meaning.

Many people, running after money, thought that the problem will stay within China... "because ? Because we say so. Shut your mouth, continue to buy, and watch TV".

Hope and delusion are not a policy.

Like the stupid french government who said in 1986 that the radioactive cloud from Chernobyl managed to stop.... just at the french borders.

This cloud was a verypolite cloud.... Actually, if you think about it, a very "thai" cloud. ???? 

For that matter the inane thai government will be the last clown to pick up a chair, and will be of course the last to announce such decision (CLOSE ALL BORDERS, and go to hell with "tourism"... Life and death are more important).

You have made some interesting posts on this subject. In fact, I think it was you that made the point that the quarantined cruise ship in Japan would be an interesting case to watch because it is playing out in full view..

Without checking today's update, there are more than 360 confirmed cases aboard. From among approximately 3000+ passengers and crew. So approximately 10% infection rate and perhaps rising.

Yet no deaths. There should be anywhere from 6-8 deaths from this group.

What do you make of this?  Statistical anomaly?

Edited by bobbin

7 minutes ago, bobbin said:

You have made some interesting posts on this subject. In fact, I think it was you that made the point that the quarantined cruise ship in Japan would be an interesting case to watch because it is playing out in full view..

Without checking today's update, there are more than 360 confirmed cases aboard. From among approximately 3000+ passengers and crew. So approximately 10% infection rate and perhaps rising.

There is now 454 passengers infected:https://bnonews.com/index.php/2020/01/the-latest-coronavirus-cases/

You probably won't die overnight from pneumonia and those who recover will likely do so earlier. I'm sure there will be deaths within a month or so but lower mortality rate than for Wuhan because of better care. 

Edited by Tayaout
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

The Thai Embassy in Tel Aviv has issued an advisory for Thai people to avoid travelling to Israel as they face the possibility of a mandatory 14-day house confinement as a preventive measure against the spread of the deadly COVID-19.

TIT for TAT

Hilarious :cheesy:

• Haha 2

I told my Thai friend that 35 confirmed cases in Thailand are very low compared to other countries.

He replied, "Of course! Hahahahaha". 

I was surprised by his answer, so I just nervously laughed along with him to "save his face".  

Afterwards, drinking our ice coffee, we were silent for about 5 min....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

may I suggest a trip to Wuhan and discuss that with the relatives of the dead and critically ill

18 minutes ago, bobbin said:

Yes. One of the Chinese whistle-blower Doctors died from contracting this virus at age 34.

A Chinese whistle-blower died - a suspicious mind would be overdosing on paranoid theories. 

5 Deaths outside of China: 

1x in France: 80yo Chinese tourist

1x Japan: 80yo Japanese lady (mother in law of Tokyo Taxi driver who’d contracted the Virus)

1x Taiwan: 61yo Taiwanese man (with underlying health conditions - unlicensed taxi driver, clients from Macau and China)

1x Philippines: 44yo Chinese national (relative of 1st patient diagnosed with 2019-nCoV)

1x Hong Kong: 39yo Chinese national (Wuhan resident)

A very small grouping - it would be extremely interesting to see the China Sats with Age breakdown. I can’t find anything on the internet which breaks down the deaths and serious cases by age, I believe this would be helpful and significant information. 

Meanwhile: school mums are getting extremely neurotic, we have just travelled back from Japan. Many other families (mothers cancelled their trips to Japan - while we had a great couple of weeks), now we are back some of the typical dumb mums have passed comments to my Wife that she should not be there. 

IMO the biggest risks is the idiotic neurotic responses by complete fools who instead of paying attention to WHO facts believe tabloid embellishment, clickbait and Line message hysteria.

The WHO Situation report - 17-Feb-2019: https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/situation-reports/20200217-sitrep-28-covid-19.pdf?sfvrsn=a19cf2ad_2

Quote: [WHO does not recommend any specific health measures for travellers. In case of symptoms suggestive of respiratory illness either during or after travel, travellers are encouraged to seek medical attention and share their travel history with their health care provider]

• Like 2

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Depends upon how you view the stats.

In China, about 72.000 people have contracted the disease.  Of those 72,000, 14,494 cases have "resolved".  

12,624 have recovered and 1870 have died.  You don't know yet what will happen to the other 58,000 people who still have the virus.

1870/14,494 = a 13% mortality rate of cases that have been resolved, in one way or another.  That's a far cry from your 2.58% or your .56% guess-timations.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bobbin said:

Very easy to answer.

What most of the people are missing ?

Timing.

On the ship, we have now a total of 454 (yesterday) cases... And... "19 severe".

What will the numbers be... in one month ?

Some people fought 1 month (!)... before to die (cased documented in China).

We start to receive crazy news about cases that took 45 days to have a positive test... And even worse... news about "reinfection"... !

The whole thing can take VERY LONG TIME.

It's a slow, dirty and vicious virus. And many infected people... will feel nothing, true. But not 100 % of them. That's the key point.

This is why all the calculations we see here and there about "mortality rate"... are mostly pointless...

It's only... when it's over that we will be able to have real figures.

Furthermore the real and grave danger of this virus... is THE TIPPING POINT.

Before : you are developped country, your healthcare system is strong, it can cope. You are in control.

Each severe patient needs though a huge effort (material and staff) to "support"... 

With such huge efforts you manage to bring most of them... to life. Low death rate. But again for some of those patients, it's a real struggle.

A few dozen, a few hundreds. No problem.

Now take the same country... with thousand of those "severe cases" ? How do you do ?

Game over. It's the tipping point. Too many. The health care system crumbles, the staff get infected too. It's a vicious circle.

Infected people can't be properly treated... So they just die (because this virus can kill, and a lot if no proper medical treatment, period, to say otherwise is lunacy) in quarantine at home, or parked like animals in a... stadium.

And then suddendly... the light appears !

The crazy actions taken by China since one month and a half... start to... make perfectly sense.

Because this is exactly what happened in Wuhan ! And Hubei province.

Tens of thousands of new "beds" (new hospital built, then stadiums converted, etc.)

The super strong quarantine decisions (and let's face it : murderous).

Because many people infected... just died at home. In family. We have no "proof" but so many leads and tidbits show just that.

It's a DISASTER of epic proportions (without taking in account the... economic problems... another whole and big issue).

I mean guys : the Communist Party will probably cancel the most important yearly political meeting (Beijing, march) !

Something that didn't happen in 35 years... actually since march was choosen as the date.

That should be a wake up call.

But the biggest disaster is outside Hubei and outside China. In the making.

The simple idea that the virus could strive in Wuhan... but not in Tokyo or not Shanghai, for instance is laughable (same urban system, same weather, same crowded places etc).

A cruise ship in Tokyo bay, is exactly the same environment than... a shopping mall... a train... a jail, a military barracks (you will notice that we have zero news about the PLA in China...) or a church (in Singapour... 18 infected... in a single church).

To think otherwise is just plain madness.

And question : could you imagine the tipping point in Thailand ? Or the crazy quarantine decisions applied in UK, France, Germany, USA ?

How it would play ?

It's of course a rhetorical question....

The lack of common sense and historical perspectives of people (yes China lies, it should be a fact known by every single individual on this planet) are astonishing.

The only thing that could save the day : a rapid mutation of the virus. Becomes weak. It burns itself. Case closed. Sabai. Happy life start again.

But if not ?

Edited by christophe75
  • Like 1

Wuhan hospital director dies from coronavirus

Liu Zhiming, director of the Wuchang hospital in Wuhan, died from the novel coronavirus on Tuesday morning, according to the city of Wuhan’s Health Commission. 

Liu was a neurosurgeon and is the first hospital director to die as a result of the coronavirus epidemic which started in the city of Wuhan in late 2019.

https://edition.cnn.com/asia/live-news/coronavirus-outbreak-02-18-20-intl-hnk/h_043a6d18048e2732faa845742f658a2b

• Like 1