BANGKOK
webfact

Israel Expands Coronavirus Quarantine to Thailand, Hong Kong Arrivals

Israel Expands Coronavirus Quarantine to Thailand, Hong Kong Arrivals

To prevent the spread of the coronavirus, travelers returning from Hong Kong, Thailand, Singapore and Macau must remain in home quarantine for 14 days ■ El Al takes a hit on direct flights to Thailand

Ido Efrati, Rina Rozenberg Kandel and Reuters

Israel.jpg

Tent with beds for potential coronavirus patients at Sheba Medical Center, February 2020.Tomer Appelbaum

Israel's Health Ministry expanded the restrictions to prevent the spread of the coronavirus on Sunday, and announced that travelers returning from Thailand, Hong Kong, Singapore and Macau will have to remain quarantined at home for 14 days after returning.

Until now, those returning from those areas had to remain at home only if they showed symptoms of the virus. Travelers returning from China had already been required to remain at home for two weeks, even without symptoms. The decision was made after a situational assessment Sunday morning by Health Minister Yaakov Litzman and a team of experts.

According to the ministry announcement, travelers coming to Israel from those areas, “Must not go out in public and must stay away from public places, including educational institutions, workplaces, public transportation, stores and places of entertainment, hospitals and clinics, for a period of 14 days from their stay in those [countries].

Full story: https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.premium-israel-coronavirus-quarantine-thailand-hong-kong-singapore-macau-china-1.8536407

-- HAARETZ 2020-02-18

• Like 1

It's not clear what they do with travelers vs citizen. Do travelers need to stay in a hotel room for 2 weeks? 

9 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

It's not clear what they do with travelers vs citizen. Do travelers need to stay in a hotel room for 2 weeks? 

They should.

So, to circumvent this probably some will just enter from another country.

15 minutes ago, ukrules said:

It has been clarified a few hours ago, non Israelis who've visited the list of countries in the last 14 days are now barred from entering Israel, flights are being cancelled, etc.

This is an ongoing and developing story.

That's what I suspected. Thanks. 

Another boost for Thai tourism, 😎

• Haha 2

A sensible move by Israel, if this were Ebola etc.

But, I consider the media hype around the Coronavirus / Covid-19 to have reached frenzy and somewhat of a significant over reaction

Thailand is the 5th country on the list with 35 cases and no deaths. 

There have been 5 deaths from Covid-19 outside of China. 

In China Covid-19 has a 2.58% mortality rate (72,438 cases / 1,868 deaths), that’s 2578 people per 100,000,

Outside of China Covid-19 has a 0.56% mortality rate (897 cases / 5 deaths), that’s 557 people per 100,000.

Both figures are incredibly high compared to regular seasonal flu which kills 10.6 per 100,000 people in the 50+ age range, 1 in 100,000 in the 5-16 age range, and 2 in 100,000 in the 17-49 age range. 

What is not clearly reported with Covid-19 is the mortality age range of those who have died. 

i.e. what does the risk grouping look like for us and our children ?

I’d like to know what the Mortality rate is for: 

0-5 year olds

6-16 year olds

17-50 year olds

50-65 year olds

65+ year olds 

I imagine the mortality rate to be far higher in 65+ age range than for any other age range and significantly distort the figures. 

Has anyone between the ages of 6-50 even died from this virus?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

One of the first Chinese doctor to raise the alarm died from it at 36 and there is more if you dig. Yes the vast majority seems to be 60+ and the childrens seems to be less affected. 

Meanwhile it is reported that many EU countries are letting hoards of Chinese people and flights from China enter without a care in world, maybe they know something we don't?...

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

A sensible move by Israel, if this were Ebola etc.

But, I consider the media hype around the Coronavirus / Covid-19 to have reached frenzy and somewhat of a significant over reaction

Thailand is the 5th country on the list with 35 cases and no deaths. 

There have been 5 deaths from Covid-19 outside of China. 

In China Covid-19 has a 2.58% mortality rate (72,438 cases / 1,868 deaths), that’s 2578 people per 100,000,

Outside of China Covid-19 has a 0.56% mortality rate (897 cases / 5 deaths), that’s 557 people per 100,000.

Both figures are incredibly high compared to regular seasonal flu which kills 10.6 per 100,000 people in the 50+ age range, 1 in 100,000 in the 5-16 age range, and 2 in 100,000 in the 17-49 age range. 

What is not clearly reported with Covid-19 is the mortality age range of those who have died. 

i.e. what does the risk grouping look like for us and our children ?

I’d like to know what the Mortality rate is for: 

0-5 year olds

6-16 year olds

17-50 year olds

50-65 year olds

65+ year olds 

I imagine the mortality rate to be far higher in 65+ age range than for any other age range and significantly distort the figures. 

Yes. One of the Chinese whistle-blower Doctors died from contracting this virus at age 34.