Sanders, Bloomberg trade insults as Democratic White House race heats up

webfact

OK, maybe this is a little bit of comic relief but Fran Lebowitz has a point about Bernie Sanders. What kind of person moves away from great cities when they are 18 (except for college, etc.)? I know in my case I moved TO a great city at the youngest possible age.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

was not disappointing.

Bloomberg got a hell of a buffeting from the gang.

Ohhh it was nasty to watch....he's well and truly exposed as a hell of

a socially awkward and al-round creepy guy.

Thanks. Wasn't able to watch it, but I'll check out Twitter for the highlights.  I always enjoy watching the Dems self destruct.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

At this point it is likely Bloomberg will secure the nomination. The DNC will hate it. But if he gets on track with his debate skills he will pound the entire field. Personally, I love Pete. But can he get nominated or win? If not, I would support Little Mike. He has what it takes to show Trump the exit doors. And the nation and the world need that exit. So does the SDNY, so they can begin their important work. Lock him up!

Please don't call him "Little Mike."  Maybe he's big in other ways.

• Confused 1

38 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

was not disappointing.

Bloomberg got a hell of a buffeting from the gang.

Ohhh it was nasty to watch....he's well and truly exposed as a hell of

a socially awkward and al-round creepy guy.

Pretty easy for a rich, sociopathic racist who surrounds himself with yes men to come off as a.... rich, sociopathic racist who surrounds himself only with yes men. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

At this point it is likely Bloomberg will secure the nomination. The DNC will hate it. But if he gets on track with his debate skills he will pound the entire field. Personally, I love Pete. But can he get nominated or win? If not, I would support Little Mike. He has what it takes to show Trump the exit doors. And the nation and the world need that exit. So does the SDNY, so they can begin their important work. Lock him up!

He was just demolished on stage, he is way behind in the polls, has no energy or any type of real grassroots support. Yet he will secure the nomination? Where did you find that tidbit? CNN?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Yes, Bernie supporters worry me. As we saw before, a good portion of them will stay home or vote for 45 if their hero isn't nominated. Sadly the democrats are killing themselves as Obama predicted with the revolving firing squad. There's still hope of course but if 45 is reelected, there is no hope. 

I know this will make some people angry but the Bernie movement reminds me of left wing third party spoilers in the past gifting the win to the right wing republicans, but this time happening WITHIN the democratic party. Bloomberg is a weird phenom as well, but frankly if it wasn't for Bernie, I doubt Bloomberg would have even run. 

I think more to the point, considering the current polling I mean, is YOU need to get ready to vote for Sanders and convince other to do the same. 

23 hours ago, Berkshire said:

Good points.  Most of what Bernie wants will cost huge amounts of money.  Take the free college idea.  I don't agree.  Firstly, anything free cheapens it.  And is he going to forgive $1.5 trillion in outstanding student loans?  I paid for my college degree!  If the gov is going to give away money, I'd rather they do the Andrew Yang thing and just give everyone $1,000/month.  Anyways, there are some hardcore Bernie supporters out there, similar to the hardcore Trump supporters.  I hope they'll still support the Dem ticket if it's not Bernie.    

You paid for college, so everyone for the rest of time should have to pay because of that? I grew up inhaling cigarette smoke in restaurants and on airplanes. I hardly believe it is necessary for all citizens, for the rest of time, to be exposed to the smoke too, since I had to deal with it. 

Also, I suppose it is objectionable to you that you or your (for discussion's sake) children will not have to worry about paying for their college? 

These damn people who are fighting for citizens to get educations, and health care, and not die in the streets unless you are well off. I totally see where you are coming from. Some astoundingly good points you made in that poor excuse of a post. 

• Confused 1

33 minutes ago, Kelsall said:

Please don't call him "Little Mike."  Maybe he's big in other ways.

He is big on many levels. I like and respect him. I say that as a tribute to Greta. And the way she always shows up Trump's bullying, by using his insults as a badge of honor. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, sucit said:

You paid for college, so everyone for the rest of time should have to pay because of that? I grew up inhaling cigarette smoke in restaurants and on airplanes. I hardly believe it is necessary for all citizens, for the rest of time, to be exposed to the smoke too, since I had to deal with it. 

Also, I suppose it is objectionable to you that you or your (for discussion's sake) children will not have to worry about paying for their college? 

These damn people who are fighting for citizens to get educations, and health care, and not die in the streets unless you are well off. I totally see where you are coming from. Some astoundingly good points you made in that poor excuse of a post. 

You comparing me paying for college with you inhaling cigarette smoke....totally bizarre.  But whatever.  So you think providing free stuff is the solution?  Aside from Congress never approving, it just isn't affordable.  As for my kids, I'll be paying for their college. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, sucit said:

He was just demolished on stage, he is way behind in the polls, has no energy or any type of real grassroots support. Yet he will secure the nomination? Where did you find that tidbit? CNN?

Way behind on the polls? So, he dropped from 19% to 15% overnight, over a bad debate performance. Big deal. He is still in or near second place overall. He will win. Mark my words. Both the nomination, and the presidency. He does not need grassroots support. His support will build dramatically over the next few months. Well over 50% of the population, including myself, want to see Trump replaced by anyone. Just get him out. See ya Don. 

And by the way, CNN and most of the so called liberal media has been entirely dismissive of Mike, until he got up to 19% in the polls. The Guardian despises him. Only in the past few days have they taken him seriously. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, spidermike007 said:

He is big on many levels. I like and respect him. I say that as a tribute to Greta. And the way she always shows up Trump's bullying, by using his insults as a badge of honor. 

I am just taking a wild guess here, based on your responses, and I will say that you missed his performance on stage, or lack thereof a performance I should call it. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, sucit said:

I am just taking a wild guess here, based on your responses, and I will say that you missed his performance on stage, or lack thereof a performance I should call it. 

That was a tiny little thing. It is his first debate. No biggie at all. Water off a duck's back. He will be president. Did you see Trump's first debate? He got trounced. Means very little.

• Confused 2

1 minute ago, spidermike007 said:

Way behind on the polls? So, he dropped from 19% to 15% overnight, over a bad debate performance. Big deal. He is still in or near second place overall. He will win. Mark my words. Both the nomination, and the presidency. He does not need grassroots support. His support will build dramatically over the next few months. Well over 50% of the population, including myself, want to see Trump replaced by anyone. Just get him out. See ya Don. 

Let's start over.

What are you basing this opinion on? A pure guess is fine, I have no problem with it! 

Are you basing it on a past candidate who did not even show up to Iowa or New Hampshire, and who was trailing by double digits in the polls, who had one terrible, creepy debate performance up to this point, who came out and won? 

Guesses are good though. I have no problem with them, and have no problem marking your words either. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

How things change!

The pendulum has swung way over to the other side.

Just a few weeks ago, Dems supporter here would have us

believe that harsh justice would be meted out to trump.

He would be convicted, struck off the ballot and they would

save the country...a country that's never been in better shape btw.

Now they're just going around watching their hopefuls all exposed either

as unrealistic dreamers (to be polite)) or elite racists....they console themselves by

muttering optimistic phrases, mostly for their own ears....I seriously hope the damage

won't be long lasting.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

That was a tiny little thing. It is his first debate. No biggie at all. Water off a duck's back. He will be president. Did you see Trump's first debate? He got trounced. Means very little.

My point is you witnessing that performance and seeming to think he is going to turn into a grand orator overnight. 

He is obviously not a good debater. I would say speaking to people who are not billionaires does not seem to be one of his strong points.

It seems obvious to me this is a skill you wont gain overnight. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, sucit said:

My point is you witnessing that performance and seeming to think he is going to turn into a grand orator overnight. 

He is obviously not a good debater. I would say speaking to people who are not billionaires does not seem to be one of his strong points.

It seems obvious to me this is a skill you wont gain overnight. 

Not a big issue. He will improve. Trump is a fairly inarticulate speaker. But he is a performer. Like P.T. Barnum. The public may like that Mike is real and not an actor. Trump is a fictitious character. Mike is not. What you see is what you get. He speaks straight. He is sincere. I find that refreshing. 

He will continue to bombard the airwaves. Americans are addicted to TV. When I am at my friends house I often ask them to mute the commercials. They think I am bizarre for asking. They don't get it. So, the commercials will continue.

He has staying power. His numbers will go up. One bad debate means so very little. Warren and Bernie are obnoxious. He is centrist. He is so electable. He has minor baggage. But Trump has lowered the bar to the point where it does not matter. 

I like Pete. But can he win? He raised $76 million in 2019. Not bad. But, is it enough?

• Haha 2

54 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

And by the way, CNN and most of the so called liberal media has been entirely dismissive of Mike, until he got up to 19% in the polls. The Guardian despises him. Only in the past few days have they taken him seriously. 

Bloomberg's main argument on why we should support him was that he was the only one who could take on trump. Last night's debate showed that he couldn't even take on any of the Democratic contenders. So now the new line is that he will learn and get better!!!

Are you kidding me ? if that's the metric then why can't any of the other candidates that are way better than Bloomberg now,  also learn, and get even better better? 

Sanders has being vetted, he is the same guy he was 2016, nothing new trump can hit him with, the same old stuff that is obviously being rejected as exhibited by the support he is getting.  

The man had a heart attack for christ's sake and is still not only viable but thriving in the campaign, Does anyone really thing that any other candidate could ??? Sander's support is real. Bloomberg's support is being purchased by Madison Av. They have sold a narrative with TV commercial sound bites. Now the other candidates had a chance at him and they displayed a different narrative.  Can you imagine the narrative trump will provide if Bloomberg is the candidate and they face off.   

At this point Sanders is the only viable candidate .that will take the fight to trump. 

Sanders/Warren 2020

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

Firstly, I'm not necessarily a fan of Bloomberg.  I just want someone who can beat Trump.

Having said that, debating Trump in the General would be much easier for Bloomberg than debating the Dems.  Trump doesn't know anything.  Sure, he'll throw a bunch of lies and half-truths out there, but Bloomberg is better equipped to deal with an incoherent Trump than a raging and informed Warren or Sanders. 

I don't understand this response.

Raging Sanders? How is he raging? I see him passionate, but never raging.

For me  Sanders  biggest negative was his age, But Bloomberg at 78 is no spring chicken also. So IMO Sanders  will need a running mate that people would accept as president and would continue Bernie's agjenda should old age prevent him.  Warren could be such person , but Warren does not expand regional support, so as much as I like her she does not bring anything other than ideology and gender to the table. So we will see. 

But  the part that I don't understand about your opinion is the "Informed" part. Do you think that Bloomberg is not as informed as Sanders?  Or perhaps I   misunderstood you and you think Bloomberg would be better able to control his temper against trump? I of course disagree. Sanders has not survived in the Senate as an Independent,  for as long as he has . by not being politically astute. And Bloomberg IMO has never in his life being challenged in the way that trump will challenge him, he has always being treated with respect. I am not so sure he would be able to play the game, nothing in his career aor last nights debate indicates that he can. 

But let's put all that aside, Bloomberg is not a likable person, he does not relate well, IMO another Hillary. as far as that aspect is concern. So unless he really up his debating game I really don't see what he brings to the table other than a lot of money. And if money can buy the presidency so easy God save us all, because there is a lot of money outhere. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I don't understand this response.

Raging Sanders? How is he raging? I see him passionate, but never raging.

For me  Sanders  biggest negative was his age, But Bloomberg at 78 is no spring chicken also. So IMO Sanders  will need a running mate that people would accept as president and would continue Bernie's agjenda should old age prevent him.  Warren could be such person , but Warren does not expand regional support, so as much as I like her she does not bring anything other than ideology and gender to the table. So we will see. 

But  the part that I don't understand about your opinion is the "Informed" part. Do you think that Bloomberg is not as informed as Sanders?  Or perhaps I   misunderstood you and you think Bloomberg would be better able to control his temper against trump? I of course disagree. Sanders has not survived in the Senate as an Independent,  for as long as he has . by not being politically astute. And Bloomberg IMO has never in his life being challenged in the way that trump will challenge him, he has always being treated with respect. I am not so sure he would be able to play the game, nothing in his career aor last nights debate indicates that he can. 

But let's put all that aside, Bloomberg is not a likable person, he does not relate well, IMO another Hillary. as far as that aspect is concern. So unless he really up his debating game I really don't see what he brings to the table other than a lot of money. And if money can buy the presidency so easy God save us all, because there is a lot of money outhere. 

Are you one of Bernie's Bro?  I've made some rather innocuous comments about Bernie (whom I like) and you--along with that other Bernie dude--take it as if I was bashing him.  Take it easy.  The "raging" comment was mostly a compliment, as was the informed comment.  Surely you must agree that pretty much all of these Dem candidates are significantly more informed than Trump on just about any issue.

I have no idea who the Dem candidate will ultimately be.  My point was that debating fellow Dems is more of a challenge than debating Trump. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

Are you one of Bernie's Bro?  I've made some rather innocuous comments about Bernie (whom I like) and you--along with that other Bernie dude--take it as if I was bashing him.  Take it easy.  The "raging" comment was mostly a compliment, as was the informed comment.  Surely you must agree that pretty much all of these Dem candidates are significantly more informed than Trump on just about any issue.

I have no idea who the Dem candidate will ultimately be.  My point was that debating fellow Dems is more of a challenge than debating Trump. 

I am no one's Bro! Well except my brother John:smile:

You misunderstand me. I did not think you were bashing Sanders, I was trying to understand what you said. 

I Supported Sanders 2016.and contributed to his campaign, this cycle I initially thought he was too old and supported Yang , Unfortunately Yang dropped out. 

I still think Sanders is to old, but I don't see another viable candidate IMO. I would like to see who would be Sanders VP, because I don't think he will finish two terms.

I understand that Sanders is not running for emperor, and all the ideas he has will be subject to a majority in the House and Senate. but would be a step in the right direction IMO. 

I also have no Idea who the Democratic Candidate will be, we will have a better idea after March 3 (super tuesday)  But I will vote for whoever the Democratic candidate is.

Tomorrow I will go Change my political affiliation from Independent to Democrat so I can vote in the Florida democratic primary.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1