BANGKOK
cmarshall

Uh-oh. USAA BAnk demands my physical address

So, I just got the email below from USAA Bank demanding my physical address.  The only address they have for me for the past ten years is my CMRA address, but now they claim that the Patriot Act requires them to have my physical address.  So this is bad news.  Although they don't say so, I assume they will close the account if I put in my Bangkok address.  I already have an account with State Department Federal Credit Union, but will start looking for another expat-friendly US bank.

Does anyone know the USAA policy on expat accounts?

Thank you for choosing USAA for your banking needs. We have identified that one or more of your accounts has an invalid physical address on file.

What You Need to Know

Section 326 of the USA PATRIOT Act requires USAA Federal Savings Bank to obtain, verify and record personal data such as your name, address, date of birth, Social Security or Taxpayer Identification Number and other information that allows us to identify you.

You have been identified as requiring a valid physical, residential address. The physical address must not be a P.O. Box or other mail-receiving address (commonly referred to as Commercial Mail Receiving Agency), even if it appears as a street address. This is separate from your mailing address, which may be a P.O. Box or commercial address. Your physical address and mailing address do not need to be the same. Mail will continue to be delivered to your listed mailing address.

What You Need to Do

To prevent your account(s) from closing, the requested information must be updated within 30 days of the date of this letter on usaa.com or your USAA mobile app, or by calling us at the number provided below.

USAA is not going to force you to close your account, you are a member, not just a customer

Give them your Thai address, (they did give you a number to call collect didn't they ?)  which will satisfy any "Patriot Act " concerns and as they say,  they will still use your CMRA address for mail

You could only have a problem if you opened the account while overseas as a civilian (without any USG connections)

Edited by Langsuan Man
  • Like 1

One of the reasons that I long ago quit USAA bank.  You would think that since they deal with many people overseas the address would not be an issue.  I would just go ahead and use your Thai address.  I had no issues using my Thai address with SDFCU.  I thought that most CMRAs gave physical addresses.  

10 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

One of the reasons that I long ago quit USAA bank.  You would think that since they deal with many people overseas the address would not be an issue.  I would just go ahead and use your Thai address.  I had no issues using my Thai address with SDFCU.  I thought that most CMRAs gave physical addresses.  

A CMRA is not a physical address, even if it looks like one to the casual observer.  SDFCU specifically, and as far as I know uniquely, welcomes expat accounts.  I can't find any information on USAA's policy on expats.

15 minutes ago, Langsuan Man said:

USAA is not going to force you to close your account, you are a member, not just a customer

Give them your Thai address, (they did give you a number to call collect didn't they ?)  which will satisfy any "Patriot Act " concerns and as they say,  they will still use your CMRA address for mail

You could only have a problem if you opened the account while overseas as a civilian (without any USG connections)

I opened the USAA account while still in the US.  I do not have any military affiliation, but at the time USAA would open an account for a member of an affiliate group which I did join.  Later they discontinued this policy, but informed me that they would not close my account for that reason.  Now however, they have two reasons to dump me.

I'll give them my Thailand address, because I have no choice, but I would like to hear other expats' experiences with USAA after registering a Thailand address.

1 minute ago, cmarshall said:

A CMRA is not a physical address, even if it looks like one to the casual observer.  SDFCU specifically, and as far as I know uniquely, welcomes expat accounts.  I can't find any information on USAA's policy on expats.

I understand that but some of them appear to be with only discernible trait being a suite number.  I don't know for sure but there must be tens of thousands of government workers and ex military scattered around the world.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

I understand that but some of them appear to be with only discernible trait being a suite number.  I don't know for sure but there must be tens of thousands of government workers and ex military scattered around the world.

The discernible trait is that all CMRAs are registered with the USPS and their addresses can easily be looked in a published list.

Their are 5 million US citizens living abroad, but that doesn't mean we have any right to open a US bank account.

33 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

Now however, they have two reasons to dump me.

They are in business to make money, you don't make money by dumping customers. 

I think you are worried needlessly and the letter you received is a reasonable request.  The didn't specify a US address and specifically informed you that you can continue to use your current CMRA address for mail 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Langsuan Man said:

They are in business to make money, you don't make money by dumping customers. 

I think you are worried needlessly and the letter you received is a reasonable request.  The didn't specify a US address and specifically informed you that you can continue to use your current CMRA address for mail 

Banks have competing goals which include to make money, but also to avoid risks including regulatory risks.  If making money were the only consideration all US banks would be happy to open accounts for expats, which we know is not the case.

I think there is some chance they will close my account, although their pick list encouragingly includes Thailand among its many foreign countries.  So, maybe it will be ok.  I do worry, because I have more to lose than to gain from providing additional information to US entities.  

USAA have had my address in Japan for years. Doesn't seem to be a problem. Just give them your Thai address.

• Thanks 2

I opened my USAA account with only my Thai address years ago and no issues.  I did not order checks however as that seemed to require a US mailing address and had no need for them.  My accounts were opened as a civilian but when they came out with the no new account if not military did send them copy of my military discharge for the record.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AAArdvark said:

There's a database of CMAs that banks use.

I don't see what the problem is. USAA bank has had my physical address for 7 years and get monthly mail from them. Should not be a problem.