Uh-oh. USAA BAnk demands my physical address

33 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I've been with them for years... But I've never heard or read anything about them having a verbal password.. other than the call in one we're both aware of...  So, that whole thing is news to me!

How does it work?  How/where do you use it?

You use it when you call them on the phone.  Rather than asking you a set of security questions or using the voice recognition tool, they just ask for your verbal password.  It's not in play when you log in to the website. Your standard username and password still works on the website. 

Edited by MalibuJay
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, MalibuJay said:

You use it when you call them on the phone.  Rather than asking you a set of security questions, they just ask for your verbal password.

That's exactly what the "With Schwab, my voice is my password" voice print accomplishes. But at least that one has the advantage of being something you're unlikely to forget, since they remind you with each call the phrase they want you to say!  :wink:

I have a non-national US bank that has the (non-voice ID) verbal password and that eliminates them asking for mother's maiden name and everything else.

It also allows anyone who gets it to empty the account, so eliminates some hassle but must be carefully guarded.

Edited by JimmyJ

• 2 months later...

I just went round and round with SDFCU.  I had a foreign address and was therefore never allowed to do domestic transfers withing the US without doing a wire transfer.

So, I asked SDFCU

1.  Could I used a virtual address

"We don't think so"

2. Can I have a split address, permanent and mailing using one US address and one foreign and avoid the transfer issue?

"We think so"

3.  Which one should be for the foreign, permanent or mailing?

"Huh"

All of this was with much hold time while some one would be consulted.

Anyway I think I now have two addresses, since they said I do, but it is not easy to tell and I have not tried a domestic transfer.  I hope I have a permanent US (ex-wife address) and a mailing foreign.

On 2/26/2020 at 7:07 PM, MalibuJay said:

having a verbal password

I had the same issue.  I thought it was my four digit PIN number.  They told me it was 6 digits so I guessed and got it right.

1 hour ago, AAArdvark said:

I just went round and round with SDFCU.  I had a foreign address and was therefore never allowed to do domestic transfers withing the US without doing a wire transfer.

So, I asked SDFCU

"We don't think so"

2. Can I have a split address, permanent and mailing using one US address and one foreign and avoid the transfer issue?

"We think so"

"Huh"

Anyway I think I now have two addresses, since they said I do, but it is not easy to tell and I have not tried a domestic transfer.  I hope I have a permanent US (ex-wife address) and a mailing foreign.

I have been with SDFCU for three years and have noticed that the quality of the customer service has declined.  It's now more organized, but less friendly.

SDFCU has both my US address of a mail forwarder and my Thai address, but the address that shows up when I check mu personal information online at sdfcu.org is my mail forwarder.  I do both ACH transfers and domestic wire transfers frequently without any problem.  If I remember correctly the CSR asked me which address I wanted to have as my "official" address and I said the US address.  So, although I know that SDFCU originally had both addresses I don't actually see any trace of my Thai address, which is what I want.  There is no reason from them ever to use my Thai address for any reason.  I think after reviewing the application information they never actually reference the Thai address.

So, my suggestion is that you login, go to personal information and set your address to your US address if it isn't already there.  The CSRs aren't much good at problem solving, even if your situation should be common enough as not to pose a problem.  They don't have a mental category for resides-abroad-but-has-a-US-address.

If you go to Account Services, password change, you can change what you are calling a "verbal password" which should be called a "telephone password," but you cannot lookup to see what your current telephone password is.  You can only change it.  Your login password can be changed on the Personal Information page.  

If that fails and you get on the line with them, ask to speak to a supervisor.

3 hours ago, AAArdvark said:

So, I asked SDFCU

"We don't think so"

"We think so"

"Huh"

#2 is the correct answer. 

I have a SDFCU acct. My Thailand address is used as my physical address which reflects on my acct statements and where my debit/credit card are mailed to.  I used my Thailand address when applying for the acct.  But I also have my US mailing address on file which is required/used to activate SDFCU ibanking ACH online transfers.   I added the US mailing address after get the SDFCU accts open and "when running into the ACH transfer issue"...I called SDFCU....talked the issue with them....the rep knew exactly what the problem was (i.e., need a US address on file) and they added it during the call....and that got the ACH transfer function/menu immediately working.

Now my US mailing address appears in the Domestic Address Changes area and in the PO Box/Int'l Address Changes areas even though the US address is not international or is a P.O. box.   

But as mentioned my monthly savings/checking accts and credit card statement statements still reflect my Thailand address.  So, to look at address areas in my ibanking a person would think only my US mailing address is on file with SDFCU, but in fact they also have my Thailand address on file and that Thailand address is used for my physical address and mailing purposes.

As you are aware now, the SDFCU has kinda an unique ibanking menu system....more complicated than the average ibanking menu in my opinion. And SDFCU is somewhat unique in how they handle addresses (a little bit of a head scratcher)  and other functions.  But SDFCU is definitely expat friendly.   So, far I've been very happy with them.