Major business interests of the Army

webfact

Major business interests of the Army

By THE NATION

800_45c8f9533a8e832.jpg?v=1581994530

General Apirat Kongsompong

The public is taking an increasing interest in military reforms after Army chief General Apirat Kongsompong announced last week that military personnel would be offloading some of their private business interests within three months, to make the Armed Forces more transparent and end illegal or shady operations within the barracks.

Surachart Bamrungsuk, a renowned Army academic told “NationTV” that there are at least 15 businesses the Royal Thai Army (RTA) is involved in. They are:

➤ Savings Division at Army Welfare Department: It essentially makes all Army personnel contribute a portion of their monthly payroll to set up a fund for emergency or housing loans. The fund has become so huge that it generates considerable profit, but its management and distribution are still questionable.

➤ Army television stations: Currently the RTA has two stations under its wings -- Channel 5, which it runs and manages, and Channel 7, which operates under a private concession contract. These stations have generated huge profits from advertising and concession fees.

➤ Army radio stations: All four regions of Army divisions have their own radio stations scattered nationwide, which generate revenue from advertising just like TV stations.

➤ Army horse race tracks: Currently there are two in Nakhon Ratchasima and Chiang Mai provinces.

➤ Army golf courses: They are located in almost all major boot camps nationwide. Although the Army needs these sports facilities for personnel training and hosting its activities, these golf courses also accept civilian memberships and some even have their own business chains such as restaurants and resorts.

➤ Army boxing stadiums: There are two in Bangkok and Chiang Mai.

➤ State lands under RTA administration, including the Thanarak Housing Project that aims to provide cheap housing to Army personnel.

➤ The welfare firearms project for Army personnel.

➤ Army football club.

➤ Restaurant businesses within boot camps.

➤ Funeral Welfare Division of the Army Welfare Department, which works similar to the Savings Division.

➤ The Royal Thai Army Club, which offers concession contract to private operators to run and manage.

➤ Road construction business using Army equipment and personnel as labour.

➤ Convenience store business (7-11) within boot camps.

➤ Other businesses, such as renting Army land as petrol stations or selling soil from Army construction projects.

“These are the businesses or commercial uses of army’s personnel and resources that RTA must clarify their transparency to the public, including how the profits are managed and distributed back to the army personnel,” Surachart added.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30382312

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-02-18

44 minutes ago, BobbyL said:

Apirat seems to be like the Pied Piper leading this reform against the army. Given his family history and wealth, I wonder how may business interests he has that could be a bit iffy. 

If you're serious, look at Apirat's sponsorship and ask yourself 'qui bono?' if all Army lands are returned. I don't know anyone who would benefit, but there is someone, and Apirat knows who it is. You cannot reasonably praise a mountain rescue dog for bravery if that's what he's been trained to do, the whole point of training is to modify normal behaviour.

7 minutes ago, missoura said:

Throughout the years here in Thailand there are three underlying aspects that I have noticed. It is a rather simplistic view, but one that I believe does hold some merit.

1. The people fear the police.

2. The police fear the army.

3. The army fear the people.

Hmmm. Nearly right. It isn't the army who fears the people, it is the people the Army have been trained to protect that fear the people, which is why the army has been trained to protect them...

• Like 1

Re the army racetrack in C Mai. My Thai missus and I now agist racehorses (as well as her growing Thai fruit and veg) here in Oz and we have several good horses that race in SE QLD. In 1989 my then GF took me to the C Mai racetrack, inside the army camp at Mae Rim. I looked over the horses in the mounting yard and picked one I wanted to put my money on - (it was the 'favourite'). They have an interesting TAB there, with windows numbered from 1 to 12, each corresponding with the horse carrying that saddlecloth number. I wanted to back No 1, but as I approached window number 1 they slammed it shut ! When I asked <deleted> was going on, they told me that No 1 was no longer available as it had already been heavily supported ! "I was free to back any of the other eleven though". No thanks - but we watched the race and No 1 strolled home first easily. Later in the day I had a bet on No 5 and it clearly won, but the judge semaphored three other numbers, with No 5 as fourth ! (Imagine if they tried this on a real racetrack). The races in CM are all 1200 yards or thereabouts, with a permanently fixed barrier. No stewards and some of the dirtiest 'foul riding' I had ever seen - jockeys even trying to knock each other out of the saddle. These horses are not thoroughbreds per se, as it is 'illegal' to import any male thoroughbred (and thus increase the bloodstock). Most of these horses racing are descended from the 450 Australian Stock Horses (Standardbreds) supplied to the RTA by the Australian govt. under some aid deal in the 1980's. They do have a bar and food there and, you can even have "sidebets" (legal?) with many in the Thai crowd. Worth a look if you have nothing to do in CM on a Saturday arvo and like racing. You need to speak some Thai though, or take a pretty girl with you who does. There is a shaded grandstand and a 'members' part, which has air-con. You can also rent a horse to ride at the Cavalry Battalion at Mae Rim or at least, you could back then. It was very cheap, but only for those who are experienced riders. Don't try it if not.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Its odds on the army horse race tracks are up to no good and a huge surprise to most of us that they exist ????

A General took me the one in Chiang Mai, I lost cash on every race. Channel 7 sports expert  gave me all the tips??? Make you laugh all races were over 25 minutes late, all started from the same spot and all finished the same distance, every race??? But we did get to sit in the A/C VIP lounge.

3 hours ago, neeray said:

Totally <deleted> ridiculous and totally out of control !!!

What business (haha) does the army have being involved in all these business enterprises? Like I said, totally out of control. And yes, I can guess why they're involved.

Time to sell it all off to private enterprise.

I think Thanathorn has started the ball rolling. May it continue.

As time moves on it's getting even more difficult to comment upon "developments" without breaking forum rules.

Suffice to say that the Army is involved in a symbiotic, rather than a controller/controlled relationship.

The money may go into different green pockets (by different routes) but I do not expect, for one moment, that the Army will lose any of its "private" income as a result of this exercise.

Edited by Enoon

2 hours ago, Aussiepeter said:

Later in the day I had a bet on No 5 and it clearly won, but the judge semaphored three other numbers, with No 5 as fourth ! (Imagine if they tried this on a real racetrack). 

Have seen similar on country NSW tracks in the 1970's. Some of the old racetracks were built around a hill so the horse were obscured for a while so there were many position changes there.

Perhaps something good will happen out of this horrible tragedy. The transfer or sale of assets that the military currently uses to raise revenue can only be a good thing. I don't think that any military anywhwere should be involved in business practices. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kamahele said:

Perhaps something good will happen out of this horrible tragedy. The transfer or sale of assets that the military currently uses to raise revenue can only be a good thing. I don't think that any military anywhwere should be involved in business practices. 

I am of the belief that this "reform" is taking place for reasons beyond the " horrible tragedy".

There are other pressures being applied to army, extracurricular activities (aka enterprises).