New request at Savannakhet

That has been asked for before on a random basis. Not sure why the ask for it from some and not others.

Did she change to your name when you got married or to another one previously?

Perhaps the person before you gave them one so they asked for it from you.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That has been asked for before on a random basis. Not sure why the ask for it from some and not others.

She changed her name when we got married. The man in front of me was asked for the same certificate. Unfortunately I did not have this with me but now have a copy. The lady did take my passport. She said it would depend on her boss. She also said if I show the cert when I pick up the PP there will be no issue.

Lots of people being refused for various issues and various visas today. Maybe  the lady was having a bad day. 

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

But why would such a certificate be relevant, to a visa application, if it is fact at the time of applying? 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Mango Bob said:

My understanding is the wife can keep her maiden name if she wants to.  My wife kept here maiden name because of all the property, credit cards, autos in her name that she ust would not have the time until she is retired to change it all.  

Same. She had to change from her former married name(she was widowed)to get married to me. After getting new card and passport decided changing her name again was too much. Non-O based on marriage to a Thai at HCMC was all ok. 

• Like 2

Last year they asked me for my wife's Thai passport even though it had expired they still wanted to see it, had to stay an extra day and a new expensive flight when I returned with the passport the next day the new guy didn't seem to want it.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Ken said:

Just asked my wife about this. We have been married for 13 years.  She has no idea what this certificate is. How to get one if needed?

My wife has no idea either so I too would like to know what this form is.

I understood her maiden name changed to mine on the day we married, especially with all the paper work that was involved at the government registrar. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ken said:

Just asked my wife about this. We have been married for 13 years.  She has no idea what this certificate is. How to get one if needed?

Not sure how she would get a copy of the name change certificate or whatever it is officially called.

She could ask at the local Amphoe (Khet in Bangkok) if they can print one out. If not she might have to get a copy at the Amphoe where it was done.

My wife certainly did not get one and I don't think one was done when we registered our marriage since she had no choice but to take my name since it was before they changed the law in 2002 giving a woman the choice to keep her own name.

• Like 1

You shoud automatically get this paper from the district office if you legally changed your name. Separate papers for first and surname. It looks a bit like a marriage certificate except its a kind of beige colour with a diferent border. If you need one you can get at the district office.If a Thai person hs changed their name from what is on their birth certificate, they will need to show this paper to get a passport, for example.

Edited by Guffman
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Mango Bob said:

My understanding is the wife can keep her maiden name if she wants to.  My wife kept here maiden name because of all the property, credit cards, autos in her name that she ust would not have the time until she is retired to change it all.  

You have a option at time of marriage. My ex kept her name

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, UKresonant said:

But why would such a certificate be relevant, to a visa application, if it is fact at the time of applying? 

It shouldn't be necessary if the name on the wife's ID card is correct, they need the name change certificate, Kor5, to get the new ID card.

My wife did it 2 years ago, about 10 years after we got married.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Not sure how she would get a copy of the name change certificate or whatever it is officially called.

She could ask at the local Amphoe (Khet in Bangkok) if they can print one out. If not she might have to get a copy at the Amphoe where it was done.

My wife certainly did not get one and I don't think one was done when we registered our marriage since she had no choice but to take my name since it was before they changed the law in 2002 giving a woman the choice to keep her own name.

Currently one obtains a certificate showing the change of name along with the new ID card.

My wife recently had to change her name from her deceased husband's name (which she had kept) before we could get married - can't marry otherwise, - ID must be in maiden name.

She then changed her name again to mine after marriage (because she wanted to), and got a new ID card and certificate showing the name change.

My multiple-entry one year visa was from Savannakhet, so it looks like care will be needed in preparing for the next one, since there's a lot of news coming in that they are becoming difficult on these and SETVs as well. So a general trend of tightening the rules - or inventing excuses to be uncooperative.

1 hour ago, Uth2006 said:

Any Marriage prior to the 2003 constitution would not have this document.  Prior to 2003 the law required a woman to take her husbands name when married.  

It was the 1997 constitution that made them the change the rules in 2002 to where a woman did not have to take her husband's name and could be shown as single on their ID card.

21 hours ago, Toosetinmyways said:

Name change Cert.

Good Morning Gentlemen,

can we try to bring some order into this. I have successfully gotten a new Non-Imm-O/Multiple entry based on marriage just last week. I did NOT present such Name Change Certificate (and have not been asked for), but only the copy of my wife's ID card and Blue Book and International Marriage Certificate and Kor Ror 22.

My wife took my family name at 2001 and it is stated on all of her above documents since.

However,  the man in front of me and the guy after me have been asked for that name change certificate. They did not have it and needed to call home.

So what could be the deciding factor, ruling out it was just luck? Is it the Kor Ror 22 (which the 2 other guys did not have, I think)?

Cheers

To the gents, who have been asked for that Certificate: What is the name shown in the blue housebook? Husband's family name or wife's maiden name?

In my case it's husband's family name because we built the house only after the marriage and got a new housebook after.

Cheers.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, IgboChief said:

So what could be the deciding factor, ruling out it was just luck? Is it the Kor Ror 22 (which the 2 other guys did not have, I think)?

It would be Kor Ror 2 if married here and it is not normally required.

20 minutes ago, IgboChief said:

To the gents, who have been asked for that Certificate: What is the name shown in the blue housebook? Husband's family name or wife's maiden name?

If a name change was done it should be shown in the wife's house book registry. If the name change certificate was not available that should be enough to prove it.

I would not have to be their own house book to show it.

• Like 1

What should be correct to show name changes. Has no reality when it comes to Thai life simple solution is carry everything Kor Ror 2 I now hand over as a matter of course. This year I will take copies of name change (which we got from local amphur as we lost the original one).

We can debate what WE think should be shown till we are blue in the Face. In the end it comes down to what they want to see on the day. (Which of course may be different on a daily basis as we all know.

For years I never had a photo copy of Lao visa last year they asked for one!

Who knows so I take everything.

Edited by fourpack

Married in April 2003. Would my wife have this document? Going to Savannakhet next month so some more info. on what the document is like and if we can get a re issue at amphur. Also wasn't going to get a kor ror 2 but people here seem to take one here. All info. welcomed, It's a long trip and don't want to be turned away. Thanks.

2 hours ago, Jimmy B said:

Also wasn't going to get a kor ror 2 but people here seem to take one here. All info. welcomed, It's a long trip and don't want to be turned away. Thanks.

All I can say is: the last 2 times they verified the Kor Ror 22 intensively and also the original marriage certificate. They did not even look on the other papers, just counted through. Never asked a question.

2 years ago, I even managed to get a visa without the original marriage certificate, but my girlfriend, who was with me, had to intervene.

Can't recall last year's details, but last week the guy in front of me and the guy after me had no Kor Ror 2 or 22 and both have been asked for that name change cert. They had all other papers ready and were genuine.

So my take is: this Kor Ror 2/22 is useful and also you will get it at your Amphor within a few minutes without any hassle. My wife got new Kor Ror 22 in my absence. Attention: they stamp it with the date, using Thai digits. So at the first sight you would think, it has no Date/Valid stamp, but in fact IO will see if it is recent and you are advised to bring a recent one.

The 2 guys mentioned above sorted their problem by calling their wives, who send them the documents per fax/E-Mail. There are helpful shops in front of the embassy, on the other side of the road. Both were in the queue the next day picking up their passports.

Cheers and good luck.

On 2/19/2020 at 12:13 PM, Toosetinmyways said:

Name change Cert.

For wife:

แบบ ช.๕
หนังสือสำคัญการจดทะเบียนเปลี่ยนชื่อสกุล (แบบ ช. ๕)

("form 5" about changing family name)

From the net:

form5.jpg