Losing Chinese tourists to virus outbreak to have cascading effect on Thai economy

webfact

Losing Chinese tourists to virus outbreak to have cascading effect on Thai economy

By The Nation

800_22fc669f28bb99f.png?v=1582003221

Chatchai Payuhanaveechai

Thailand could lose 1.6 million to 3.5 million Chinese tourists and gross domestic product (GDP) in 2020 would drop by 0.4 to 1 per cent due to the virus outbreak, Government Savings Bank (GSB) president Chatchai Payuhanaveechai said.

GSB’s research centre estimated that if China could control the Covid-19 outbreak within three months, Thailand would lose 1.6 million Chinese tourists and Bt80 billion in tourism revenue and GDP might drop by 0.4 per cent. If it took China six months to control the situation, Thailand could lose 3.5 million Chinese tourists, Bt170 billion in lost revenue and it would slash GDP by one per cent.

The businesses of retailers, hotels, transportation and restaurants were the most affected, especially in cities that usually drew tourists, such as Bangkok, Phuket and Chiang Mai, Chatchai said.

Retailers could lose Bt25 billion to Bt50 billion in revenue, hotels could lose Bt21 billion to Bt45 billion, restaurants Bt16 billion to Bt34 billion and transportation Bt7.5 billion to Bt16 billion.

The absence of Chinese tourists would also have side-effects on upstream businesses such as plantation, livestock, power and chemistry.

He said that GDP growth in 2020 would not exceed 2.5 per cent though the bank expected that at the end of the last year that it would grow around 3.5 per cent.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30382317

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-02-18
  • Haha 2

Tourism down in Thailand? I waited to the last minute to book hotels on Kho Chang from late February to early March, thinking there would be bargains. I was wrong, hotel rates are now through the roof. I had to give up on Kho Kood entirely, nothing decent at reasonable prices there. Thailand tourism in crisis my foot.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Looking at the beaches, Thailand is doing fine for now. Bangkok maybe not as much. 

but, flew from KL to Samui and the plane was essentially empty, maybe a 25% load factor.  Thailand is pretty resilient, has better food, and really is cheaper than most of the other places bantered about. But, they have squandered a decade and the real impact has not been seen yet. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, yellowboat said:

Starting to sound like tourism is greater than 20% of the Thai GDP, and the Chinese drive more than 20% of that.   Thailand, since 2014, is the land of fixation. 

TAT was once trying to entice South Korean and Japanese women to Thailand.  One TAT's more thoughtful ideas.  What happened to that? 

Australians use to say Thailand was a great cheap holiday.  The elitist Thais bristled at such an accusation, but cheap means people will come back, and now they don't.  A good business disturbed by dull witted elites in nice suits.

Do believe TAT said they were targeting first timers to Thailand.   How do you do such a delusional thing?  

TAT thinks they can select their customers and determine what they will pay.  What the "authority" fails to realize is that your customers choose you, you don't choose them.  They control your business.  You just manage it for them.  Being selective is a brain dead notion and not very welcoming by a country once known to be one of the most welcoming.  Vietnam is far more interesting right now thanks in part by the Thai army.

Totally agree with your post yellow boat, very well put. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Traubert said:

Its not telling me much apart from there's likely to be a run on bum guns.

I was actually quite surprised that Hong Kong people use toilet paper, and not the bum gun like in Thailand, or just nothing at all like in rural China. I guess they learned that from the British.

• Haha 2