Losing Chinese tourists to virus outbreak to have cascading effect on Thai economy

webfact

They only seem to be concentrating on the Chinese tourist numbers. Maybe they don't realise that many others think of Asia in genaral and they are being put off coming here. There already seemed to be an early drop-off here in Phuket and this has just been exacerbated by the coronavirus effect.

This government seems more worried about loss of tourist income than the possibility of hundreds of thousands of Thai people going down with pneumonia. I can imagine a situation where schools are converted into makeshift  hospitals if/when this spirals out of control, which considering the government’s lack of balls re: allowing travelers from China to enter the kingdom unabated, wouldn’t be far fetched.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, lemonjelly said:

This government seems more worried about loss of tourist income than the possibility of hundreds of thousands of Thai people going down with pneumonia. I can imagine a situation where schools are converted into makeshift  hospitals if/when this spirals out of control, which considering the government’s lack of balls re: allowing travelers from China to enter the kingdom unabated, wouldn’t be far fetched.

You tink too mutt.

Thailand might be allowing Chinese tourists in but China is not letting them out in any significant numbers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I hope Thailand is prepared for a very big slap in the face, tourism will never grow back to what they used to have, I can't say I'm bothered, this was all brought upon themselves by their very selfish attitude towards tourists from wherever in the world they came from, they just expected the world on their doorstep, and for a while that's what they got, not any more chaps, stand by to be skint.

As an aside, I was told this afternoon that Nong Nooch were accepting Thai drivers licence for falangs with entry charged at only 200 Baht ????  

Edited by Golden Triangle
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, madmitch said:

They only seem to be concentrating on the Chinese tourist numbers. Maybe they don't realise that many others think of Asia in genaral and they are being put off coming here. There already seemed to be an early drop-off here in Phuket and this has just been exacerbated by the coronavirus effect.

https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-health-chief-explains-vague-virus-updates-74878.php?fbclid=IwAR0gR3YxVW9RyPavMGzuyVbpyO5wAmrcQdIsOLWa5N8DcWQaVUwADw2DE6c

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SteveK said:

They haven't banned visitors coming from Thailand, but are forcing them to enter quarantine for 14 days upon arrival.

Bit of an update on the Israel situation.Looks like they have placed a ban on travellers coming from Thailand. 

https://www.timesofisrael.com/israel-bans-foreigners-coming-from-east-asian-countries-over-virus-fears/

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Traubert said:

You tink too mutt.

Thailand might be allowing Chinese tourists in but China is not letting them out in any significant numbers.

Nor are Chinese folks happily jumping on planes. They are hiding at home.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Just perhaps the Chinese won't be back at all, ever thought about that?

They have over a billion people. Most of them don’t have passports yet. Tourism will recover and over time there will be even more Chinese in Thailand.

10 million Chinese tourists per year in 2019. It will be 20 million within the next decade or less.

Thailand wants them and needs them. They don’t care about the west anymore.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

I hope Thailand is prepared for a very big slap in the face, tourism will never grow back to what they used to have, I can't say I'm bothered, this was all brought upon themselves by their very selfish attitude towards tourists from wherever in the world they came from, they just expected the world on their doorstep, and for a while that's what they got, not any more chaps, stand by to be skint.

As an aside, I was told this afternoon that Nong Nooch were accepting Thai drivers licence for falangs with entry charged at only 200 Baht ????  

Tourism will continue to grow. Look at the numbers year by year. Half million to almost eleven million for Chinese alone. 

Most Chinese don’t even have passports yet. That means you haven’t seen anything yet.

• Thanks 1

I have a feeling the virus could very well trigger the next world wide financial crises.

If/when this hits, tourism in Thailand will be affected even more than ever imagined.

Might even spark and result in a political change. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, yellowboat said:

Vietnam is far more interesting right now thanks in part by the Thai army.

I keep seeing so many comments on here similar to this.  I have been in Da Nang for less than two months on a one-year METV (one year TVs are only available to Americans), required to exit and enter every 90 days.

Just found out that in November a law was passed that anyone with any kind of a visa will be required to exit and enter every 30 days.  I confirmed this (and it applies to my already existing visa), with the agency that issued my invitation letter.  It will be enforced in June or July...I think June.  

The head of immigration announced it was to keep out foreign criminals.  Sound familiar?

So, Vietnam is no longer a very good alternative.  Expats here know about it, none of the posters on TV forum seem to though.  I'm still new in VN and eally like Da Nang although it is quite boring.  So it was heartbreaking news and my honeymoon period has been cut short. ????

Edit- one expat said this won't apply if you have a Residency Card, but I can't confirm that anywhere.  Others are bummed out but trying to be optimistic that it will somehow not go into effect.

Edited by keysersoze276
Additional info
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, keysersoze276 said:

I keep seeing so many comments on here similar to this.  I have been in Da Nang for less than two months on a one-year METV (one year TVs are only available to Americans), required to exit and enter every 90 days.

Just found out that in November a law was passed that anyone with any kind of a visa will be required to exit and enter every 30 days.  I confirmed this (and it applies to my already existing visa), with the agency that issued my invitation letter.  It will be enforced in June or July...I think June.  

The head of immigration announced it was to keep out foreign criminals.  Sound familiar?

So, Vietnam is no longer a very good alternative.  Expats here know about it, none of the posters on TV forum seem to though.  I'm still new in VN and eally like Da Nang although it is quite boring.  So it was heartbreaking news and my honeymoon period has been cut short. ????

Yes, Vietnam has never spruiked for retirees.  They want productive foreigners, hence why business visas are relatively easy.  Good if you want to work.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, aussienam said:

Yes, Vietnam has never spruiked for retirees.  They want productive foreigners, hence why business visas are relatively easy.  Good if you want to work.  

It applies to them too.  Ive talked to several restaurant/bar owners and staff that are worried about it.  Anyone on any kind of visa is what the government announced.

6 hours ago, SteveK said:

They haven't banned visitors coming from Thailand, but are forcing them to enter quarantine for 14 days upon arrival.

That's no longer the case, anyone who's been to Thailand in the last 14 days is now banned from Israel.

You haven't read about it in the Thai news because they're not reporting it.

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, aussienam said:

ah... couple this with dioxin in the food supply and vietnam is a miss for me

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

Well said, how they can still be allowing flights from China is nimaginable!

Not just tourism being affected. Due to so many Chinese being in some form of quarantine, factories and farms are not exporting as much. Wife told me vegetables imported from China have shot up in price (she buys wholesale for her shop)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

GSB’s research centre estimated that if China could control the Covid-19 outbreak within three months, Thailand would lose 1.6 million Chinese tourists and Bt80 billion in tourism revenue and GDP might drop by 0.4 per cent. If it took China six months to control the situation, Thailand could lose 3.5 million Chinese tourists, Bt170 billion in lost revenue and it would slash GDP by one per cent.

Only 1%?  I'd say way more than that!

Nobody reports all of their income for taxation, especially service sectors like restaurants, trinket shops, taxi-drivers, unregistered hotels, air bnbs, etc.

Then there are the prostitutes, gambling houses, loan sharks, drug dealers, extortion rackets who prey on both tourists and Thais alike.

• Like 1