ED Visa refused in Penang

10 hours ago, London Boy said:

Very frustating none the less as I have paid 18k for the course and the 8 month Ed visa would have got me across the line until I turn 50.

It is perfectly legal for you to start taking your Thai language classes while you are in Thailand on your 60-day permission to stay based on your entry with a tourist visa. During this time, with the necessary papers from the school, you can apply for a non-immigrant visa and subsequently for an extension of stay for the reason of studying under clause 2.9 of the Police Order 327/2557 (2014). The school should be able to give you guidance with these applications.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Maestro said:

It is perfectly legal for you to start taking your Thai language classes while you are in Thailand on your 60-day permission to stay based on your entry with a tourist visa. During this time, with the necessary papers from the school, you can apply for a non-immigrant visa and subsequently for an extension of stay for the reason of studying under clause 2.9 of the Police Order 327/2557 (2014). The school should be able to give you guidance with these applications.

Thanks for this....reallu useful to know

• Like 1

If you turn 50 in 5 months and you got now a single entry tourist visa that gives you 90 days. Then you still have 2 months left. I suggest do a visa run to the border with a visa-run company. You get 30 days (visa exempt), you can extend that at immigration for another 30 days. (if that is still not enough do another visa run to the border for another 30 day visa exempt (you can do 2 land border visa exempts in a year)).(use the land borders, avoid flying in)

After that you can apply for that retirement extension....

61288836-3d-small-person-jumping-next-to

1 hour ago, spiekerjozef said:

If you turn 50 in 5 months and you got now a single entry tourist visa that gives you 90 days. Then you still have 2 months left. I suggest do a visa run to the border with a visa-run company. You get 30 days (visa exempt), you can extend that at immigration for another 30 days. (if that is still not enough do another visa run to the border for another 30 day visa exempt (you can do 2 land border visa exempts in a year)).(use the land borders, avoid flying in)

After that you can apply for that retirement extension....

61288836-3d-small-person-jumping-next-to

Yeah that's what I was considering. Maybe a trip to Surat Thai and cross the border at Nong Khai. I was also considering a trip to London in April and applying for an Ed visa there, but that's obvously a bit more convoluted

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, darrendsd said:

If you only have 5 months left it's not actually a big deal not getting a ED Visa is it OP?

In fact why did you even bother applying?

1 TV (90 days total) and 1 or 2 VE (60 days each) is enough to see you through until you are 50

Why all the drama and why bother applying?

Firstly I dont like the way consulate staff speak to people. Its not just me but everyone who applied that day was given a hard time and ultimately refused.

Rather then going through that prcedure, why not just update their website? They want our money but cant treat us with a bit of respect, so I wanted him to experince the same dis respect

Secondly I wanted a hassle free 8 months of just staying in the country and learning Thai in a classroom environment

• Sad 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sujo said:

Agree op. Its very unprofessional for them to refuse the visa but not tell you why.

The OP wrote:

said it was a new directive from the Minister of Foreign Affairs. 

Obviously he was given a reason. It might not be the reason you agree with, but in reality your or mine opinions are irrelevant.

Edited by emptypockets
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, London Boy said:

Firstly I dont like the way consulate staff speak to people. Its not just me but everyone who applied that day was given a hard time and ultimately refused.

Rather then going through that prcedure, why not just update their website? They want our money but cant treat us with a bit of respect, so I wanted him to experince the same dis respect

Secondly I wanted a hassle free 8 months of just staying in the country and learning Thai in a classroom environment

I'm pretty sure you can apply on the day of your 50th Birthday so 5.5 months is sufficient

23 hours ago, Maestro said:

This could be useful for me too at some point - very difficult info to find, thanks!

• Like 1

On 2/19/2020 at 12:16 AM, Maestro said:

It is true that you can study while on a tourist entry, but forget about getting an extension under Clause 2.9. That requires that you are in Thailand on a Non Immigrant entry. Further, although it is possible to convert to a Non Immigrant for the purpose of studying a university course, a conversion will not be granted to attend a language school (even, I believe, with an agent's assistance).

All the OP can do is what he has already tried: travel to a neighbouring country for a Non Ed visa. He might be lucky at another consulate, but there have been reports of refusals at Vientiane and Ho Chi Minh City, previously popular locations to apply for Non Ed visas.

• Thanks 1

A post containing a personal attack and flaming of another member has been removed.

Forum rule. 

"7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed."

8 hours ago, BritTim said:

It is true that you can study while on a tourist entry, but forget about getting an extension under Clause 2.9. That requires that you are in Thailand on a Non Immigrant entry. Further, although it is possible to convert to a Non Immigrant for the purpose of studying a university course, a conversion will not be granted to attend a language school (even, I believe, with an agent's assistance).

All the OP can do is what he has already tried: travel to a neighbouring country for a Non Ed visa. He might be lucky at another consulate, but there have been reports of refusals at Vientiane and Ho Chi Minh City, previously popular locations to apply for Non Ed visas.

Good advice. I may just attend the classes while on a TR or fly to London in April and apply there (its my mums birthday as well). I think trying in Vientiane or HCMC will be a waste of time with two back to back SETV's