Is Permanent residence that useful

I have never considered PR, not because I don't work or pay taxes, which I don't.

Thailand for me is the way I see it, my holiday destination, albeit it I have lived here for 4 plus years and renew the marriage extension annually.

I have a Thai drivers and riders license, the yellow book and a pink ID all of which I seldom use, the drivers license when requested at a roadside check of course.

Up until now I have been doing the 90 days at immigration, an hour 20 drive after we drop the kids off at school, it's in the same direction, my wife and I make a day of it, e.g. stopping and buying some fruit at the petrol service station and see the usual vendor, sister-in-law and might buy a lottery ticket as well.

Immigration takes 5 minutes as we are usually first in and out, then it's off to the mall for some Thai noodle soup while the wife looks around at Robinson and I look at the eye candy, then we head back to pick up the kids, I do have the option of doing it online or by post, and will probably opt for the online reporting as I did the TM30 not to long ago and found that to be easy, well sort of.

The above said, I really don't see the issue with all the reporting as much as it is a pain, but that said, if your organised and diaries everything, it's no different to reporting to your parole officer ????

When I get fed up of living my retired life in my holiday destination, in my big house, I will go back to where I came from, albeit it I will probably live in a shoe box, pay what it costs me to to raise and feed a family of 6 per month in rent and then have to look at finding money for food and everything else.

PR is for those that want it, not me, marriage extension will do me just fine, and if my marriage goes south tomorrow which it won't, there is always the retirement extension and all the foot loose and fancy free, well not so free, eye candy ????

• Like 1

So what are the actual requirements? I see several things when I read up on it on various sites.  Can a retiree apply and qualify for it?  The work permit seems odd, as many countries have resident provisions; some require money, investment, marriage, etc.  Three of my friends (now deceased) did get their permanent canadian residency thing, each owned land, property built their house.  One of them had a hotel, and a Canadian wife.  The other two were just US citizens that retired to British Colummbia.

Is that additional information below just extra they need to know, and the key is one must have that 3 year work permit at some point?

Qualifications

To become eligible to apply for Permanent Residency Permit, the applicant must meet any of the following criteria:

Applicant must present 3 years of tax statements proving the above income

• Must hold 3 consecutive 1-year visa extensions.
  • Must have a valid work permit for 3 years at the date of application.
  • Must earn 30,000 Baht monthly income (for those married with Thai spouse for 5 years) and 80,000 Baht monthly income (for those who are single).

then I read:

• In addition, a number of documents need to be included with each application, in accordance with the category under which the application is submitted:
  • Business or employment purposes;
  • Investment purposes;
  • Experts or academics;
  • To support a family (wife and children) who are Thai citizens;
  • As a dependent of a husband or father who is a Thai citizen;
  • Accompanying a husband who already has a residence permit;
  • Retirement.

With a little foresight a PR is good because we won't always be young enough to do the 90 day reporting in person or feel the TM30 is not a big deal. We dont all want to hear about immigration raising the bar to keep out unwanted foreigners. We can apply for citizenship. It is a choice you dont have without PR. I asked my local police station what if I forget to stamp the red book every 4 years and was told there would be a small fine but I wouldn't lose the PR. It just makes life easier. 

I have had mine for 17 years. Best 20K I ever spent.

Some raw officials in places like banks might not be completely aware of PR. That's where speaking the language fluently comes in handy.

For me mortgages, other loans were easy. Yes, if you leave you have to fork out 5,700 baht a year for multiple in/outs plus endorsement.

I have got round this recently by staying put!

I go to report my address about every 6 years and have a nice chat with the police about the Premier League. The chief supports Liverpool so he was in an especially good mood recently and even gave me change.

Rooster

• Like 2

22 hours ago, gamini said:

it has never taken me over one hour at immigration.

Hasn't  taken me any time at all since in 40 years I have only been once ( 38 years ago ) and vowed to never go again.

Some places are friendly and hassle free others not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Denim said:

Hasn't  taken me any time at all since in 40 years I have only been once ( 38 years ago ) and vowed to never go again.

Some places are friendly and hassle free others not.

^^ This.. 

Its easy for some expat in Tak or Nakhon Phanom or some other backwater to say thier immigration is a breeze.. Here in Chiang Mai its an ordeal where you need to be there pre dawn in huge queues to have a hope at a place in the queue.. I also simply dont bother, getting non imm multiples overseas, I will even go as far as getting an O-X so I dont have to go there. 

I am one very interested in obtaining PR or citizenship, but have no intention of working for someone else or running a Thai business. I would consider paying myself a salary via a BOI system or something just to get on the ladder. 

1 hour ago, abrahamzvi said:

Even if one is not a PR in Thailand, one has to submit Income Tax returns, if one stays here over 180 days p.a.

That is correct.I submit annual Thai tax returns but for the last three years I have had nil eligible Thai taxable income.My accountant recently told me, backed by the view of a tax office official that if this is to continue I need not submit a tax return at all.I'm thinking about this.

Hi,

Not sure I understand how it works with visa when in PR possession.

Does it practically mean we don't need any visa and having some kind of stamp in our passport that we have the PR? We don't apply for visa extension each year as we do when having a WP?

Could someone reveal, please?

Regards,

Cosmo

1 hour ago, WebGuy said:

Hi,

Not sure I understand how it works with visa when in PR possession.

Does it practically mean we don't need any visa and having some kind of stamp in our passport that we have the PR? We don't apply for visa extension each year as we do when having a WP?

Could someone reveal, please?

Regards,

Cosmo

Afaik it works about like this, maybe not 100% correct:

If you only stay in Thailand you can stay for life and don't have to do anything, no need to apply for an extension, or do 90 day reports.

If you plan to exit Thailand you have to get some type of visa (in Thailand), which basically lets the IO know that you have permanent residency, this is valid for a year. For this visa you also have to get a re entry permit as with any other permission of stay.

If you are out of Thailand when the visa expires you will lose your permanent residency, so the longest time you can be out of Thailand without losing it is about 364 days.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1

I have a PR and there are 2 main benefits. One its life long visa with no hassel of 90 days reporting or tm30. The most important benefit is you can raise funds. Banks will give you money at a low interest rate as they give to Thais which can be used for property investments. I was able to buy many properties just because of this possiblity of leveraging money. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jane Dough said:

I have had mine for 17 years. Best 20K I ever spent.

Some raw officials in places like banks might not be completely aware of PR. That's where speaking the language fluently comes in handy.

For me mortgages, other loans were easy. Yes, if you leave you have to fork out 5,700 baht a year for multiple in/outs plus endorsement.

I have got round this recently by staying put!

I go to report my address about every 6 years and have a nice chat with the police about the Premier League. The chief supports Liverpool so he was in an especially good mood recently and even gave me change.

Rooster

For an extra 5000 baht(or only 5000 baht if married), why didn't you go for citizenship?

I thought of getting PR before Taksin raised the price from 9,000 to 190,000 or so.

Compared to having citizenship, I think PR has little value.

Edited by Neeranam

1 hour ago, Sanjay Jaybhay said:

I have a PR and there are 2 main benefits. One its life long visa with no hassel of 90 days reporting or tm30. The most important benefit is you can raise funds. Banks will give you money at a low interest rate as they give to Thais which can be used for property investments. I was able to buy many properties just because of this possiblity of leveraging money. 

Interesting. What percentage interest?

If I see/read/hear, how some fellow non-Thais are treated by the immigration, sent back and forward for photographs, signature, papers etc., then my best expense was the Baht 25'000 some 32 years ago.
Then it took "same visa three years", Baht 25'000 official fee, speaking Thai in an interview explaining why one would like to stay. Except the original poster, I have never came across anybody, who did not see the benefits. Today the fee is eightfold and I would still go for it.

Losing the TM17 (Certificate of Residence, first booklet blue and subsequent booklets white for the immigration to stamp arrivals/departures) is absolutely not a problem; a re-issuance takes less than a day - against an official fee again. 

Applying for it remains an individual thing; I for one am very glad not doing TM30 forms, the 90 days stuff, the one-year-extension and whatever they might come up with next. Apart from an endorsement notification/re-entry visa (valid for one year) there is only the alien registration with the local police office, every five years you show up to confirm, that you're still alive. There is no "Thai tax declaration"; you work = you pay taxes, if you're retired then they leave you in peace. The peace of mind I enjoy for more than 30 years - as far as immigration is concerned - is worth all the money. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Rotweiler said:

For most of us (retirees, not employed) PR is nothing more than a pipe dream.  The work permit requirement is a killer...........

Those days (1988 that was) you could apply if qualifying in one of the three categories:
- spouse is Thai
- you have Thai dependents (i.e. kids with a Thai national)

- worked here continuously for three years 
I'm not following the subject 24/7 but have not heard that this has changed ????