Is Permanent residence that useful

2 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

Those days (1988 that was) you could apply if qualifying in one of the three categories:
- spouse is Thai
- you have Thai dependents (i.e. kids with a Thai national)

- worked here continuously for three years 
I'm not following the subject 24/7 but have not heard that this has changed ???? 

Things have certainly changed.

Other than special cases any application requires the applicant to be working and paying taxes for at least 3 years. The only difference for being married to or being the parent of a Thai is a lower income requirement (50k baht verses 80k baht).

Just have a look at the requirements here. Permanent Residency Requirements June 2019.pdf

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Things have certainly changed.

Other than special cases any application requires the applicant to be working and paying taxes for at least 3 years. The only difference for being married to or being the parent of a Thai is a lower income requirement (50k baht verses 80k baht).

Just have a look at the requirements here. Permanent Residency Requirements June 2019.pdf

The page regarding Thai husband/wife says the "supporter's work place" and "the supporter's monthly income"

I didn't see anything which says the wife can't support the husband, so it sounds like a if a Thai wife is supporting her foreign husband, the husband can get permanent residency.

In case that the foreigner is the one who is working, does this have to be a company or would be working in a 51/49 partnership with the wife be sufficient?

38 minutes ago, jackdd said:

The page regarding Thai husband/wife says the "supporter's work place" and "the supporter's monthly income"

I didn't see anything which says the wife can't support the husband, so it sounds like a if a Thai wife is supporting her foreign husband, the husband can get permanent residency.

It does not work that way. It has to be the be the applicants income unless they are a woman married to a Thai.

This in the requirements makes that clear.

image.png.e53d0c40fedd14d69135966e645dfe29.png

Only in the case that the applicant is a woman married to a Thai would that be possible but that is unlikely to be done since they can easily apply for Thai nationality.

Even if the husband is not Thai most people that can qualify for permanent residency now would be able to apply for Thai nationality now and that is what most of them are doing now. 

38 minutes ago, jackdd said:

In case that the foreigner is the one who is working, does this have to be a company or would be working in a 51/49 partnership with the wife be sufficient?

Yes it would be accepted.

24 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It does not work that way. It has to be the be the applicants income unless they are a woman married to a Thai.

This would be expected, because for a visa extension this is the requirement, but for the extension i saw this written in the regulations somewhere, for permanent residency i didn't.

25 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

This in the requirements makes that clear.

image.png.e53d0c40fedd14d69135966e645dfe29.png

This doesn't make it clear. They just want to get this letter of employment history, if the person never worked then it would probably state that the person never worked. Same as for a foreign wife who is married to a Thai husband and never worked in Thailand.

If you travel a lot; PRs can apply for the auto gates at BKK (but not DMK yet).  No TM6 to fill in.

One visit a year to immigration, 5,900 Baht or whatever for endorsement of the blue/white book and "Non Quota Immigrant Visa" - effectively a re-entry permit. OK, Immigration is busy in Bangkok, but it is a big city and everything is busy.

If you don't travel at all, you don't need to do anything with Immigration.  I know someone with PR who has not left the country or visited immigration for over 25 years.

But, above all, as with its title, it is PERMANENT and has no expiry date. It is not linked to a job, work permit, money in the bank or anything else like that.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, jackdd said:

This doesn't make it clear. They just want to get this letter of employment history, if the person never worked then it would probably state that the person never worked. Same as for a foreign wife who is married to a Thai husband and never worked in Thailand.

If the person was a Thai they would not have any record at the Department of Employment of the Labor ministry unless they had worked overseas. 

A Thai would show tax payments to prove their employment or have a letter from their employer. Also for a Thai husband the income requirement would be lower. Probably at least 15k baht per month.

On 2/18/2020 at 6:48 PM, Puchaiyank said:

You live a charmed immigration hassle free life indeed...

i have hassle free time, I just go sign in every 90 days (am usually in Imm less than 5 minutes) then walk out....never have problems !!! And I been here ten years living in a double condo that I own

23 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Retirement is no. Marriage if working and earning 50k baht a month.

The real requirements are here. Permanent Residency Requirements June 2019.pdf

If you are working and married to a Thai, I would forget PR and go directly for citizenship. It is much cheaper and has many more benefits. 

I was a cheapskate and refused to go for PR because I thought it was too expensive. This is going back many years when it was much cheaper than now. I was hoping that the law would change (foolish I know) such that I could apply for citizenship based on marriage like foreign women married to Thai men. Lo and behold, the law did change in 2008. The fee, I believe, is still Baht 5,000.   

• Like 1

A Retirement visa should be permanent residency since that is why so many people come, However is not! We had our Visa Vetted by  Thai Embassy, Yet how else will immigration find ways to steal from us Foreigners? The systems is so hard to understand the immigration Staff do not know how to give us the rules in writing? Why is it so important to follow the money, When we run out, we just go home. You could sell things under cover of your Thai Wife, Its been going on for years!

Immigration Building in BKK is so big and beautiful that the real problem in Thailand is the Poor Thais, This Building could house all from Thailand.

If Thais have a rule...no work, no food of is it a trick to take advantage of the Thais people?  Immigration officers have a job for life time, Till the last foreigner leave??