Chevrolet Captiva Alternative

ftpjtm

The wife and I signed a sales agreement on a new generation Captiva last week. Fortunately we hadn't finalized the purchase before learning that Chevrolet is exiting Thailand, as well as all other right hand drive markets. We have no interest in being the last persons in Thailand to purchase one, so canceled the order today.

So now we have to choose an alternative. We liked the Captiva because the top model with all bells and whistles was about 1.1M and it had 3 rows of useful seating. The wife likes to sit high, so is not crazy about mini van type vehicles and the Captiva had a full size SUV feel. 

Any suggestions of vehicles meeting the same criteria in at the same price?

4 minutes ago, Curt1591 said:

Most "Chevys" found in Thailand, are Isuzus. 

https://www.isuzu-tis.com

But not the new Captiva, it's based on an SIAC vehicle (and the previous generation was Daewoo based). 

Does anyone know if Isuzu is selling something similar? From what I see on the Isuzu website, all are similar to the Colorado pick up and Trailblazer SUV, none similar to the Captiva.

Edited by ftpjtm
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, ftpjtm said:

But not the new Captiva, it's based on an SIAC vehicle (and the previous generation was Daewoo based). 

Does anyone know if Isuzu is selling something similar? From what I see on the Isuzu website, all are similar to the Colorado pick up and Trailblazer SUV, none similar to the Captiva.

Honda and Toyota sell similar, and I reckon far more reliable than any Chevy...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, transam said:

Honda and Toyota sell similar, and I reckon far more reliable than any Chevy...

Which models?

From what I can see the only 3 row Honda is the CRV and the price is substantially higher.

And the only 3 row Toyotas are the Innova and Fortuner, with the Innova similarly priced but a smallish van and the Fortuner much higher in price.

Edited by ftpjtm

2 minutes ago, ftpjtm said:

Which models?

From what I can see the only 3 row Honda is the CRV and the price is substantially higher.

And the only 3 row Toyotas are the Innova and Fortuner, with the Innova similarly priced but a smallish van and the Fortuner much higher in price.

The CRV is my choice, but they have the BRV 7 seat. Toyota has the Avanza with 3 rows. Even Suzuki do a 3 row, though very small...

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, transam said:

The CRV is my choice, but they have the BRV 7 seat. Toyota has the Avanza with 3 rows. Even Suzuki do a 3 row, though very small...

And Mitsubishi have the Expander, which is similar to the BRV (same class). Both are cheaper than the Captiva.

The Captiva is kind of in a price class of it's own between small and normal size SUVs. The closest other SUV in price is probably the Honda Hrv.

Edited by Sophon

37 minutes ago, transam said:

Is the CRV available with 7 seats?

I paid 1.7 MM for my diesel captiva top of the line about 8 years ago... been a good car... what I liked was that it was SUV size but you entered like a car and the ride was soft like a car... 

the only thing I found similar as to entering like a car and not having to climb in, was the Honda CRV... good luck,.

22 hours ago, ftpjtm said:

Is the CRV available with 7 seats?

The CRV while more expensive is much more sophisticated,especially in the suspension (ride) aspect and will have legendary Honda reliability. The diesel (1.6 twin turbo)version is a modern sophisticated engine compared to its ancient petrol offerings (no availability for the hybrid) and very economical if yiu do higher mileage. As a longer term option probably not as expensive (allowing for depreciation) as the higher purchase price would suggest f you can stretch to it.

23 hours ago, ftpjtm said:

Which models?

Honda make the B-RV. Bit smaller than the H-RV but has 3 rows. Price is sub 1 Million.

1 hour ago, bizader said:

Go test drive the new MG HS. You will be surprised by what's on offer for the price of THB1.1m.

I did a test drive couple of weeks back, and I was impressed by the quality, specs, and engine (turbo).

If you do not intend to sell it in the short term (and ignore resale values), this could be an interesting option as the nearest competitor (CRV, CX5) are 400k dearer in top specs.

With CP group behind the dealership network, the brand seems to be growing in thailand..

Near everything Chinese I have bought, which was cheaper than known brands, failed...I do not expect a vehicle to be any different..

My chum has an MG ZS, I sat in the back, terrible ride, uncomfortable, bouncing all over the place, engine and auto were very noisy when power needed. 

He got what he paid for..????

On 2/24/2020 at 2:52 PM, bizader said:

Go test drive the new MG HS. You will be surprised by what's on offer for the price of THB1.1m.

I did a test drive couple of weeks back, and I was impressed by the quality, specs, and engine (turbo).

If you do not intend to sell it in the short term (and ignore resale values), this could be an interesting option as the nearest competitor (CRV, CX5) are 400k dearer in top specs.

With CP group behind the dealership network, the brand seems to be growing in thailand..

We did drive the MG HS and were very impressed. The top model's black and red interior is phenomenal for that price range, it felt solid as a German car, and it handled very nicely.

Unfortunately there is no 3rd row seating option. 

1 minute ago, ftpjtm said:

We did drive the MG HS and were very impressed. The top model's black and red interior is phenomenal for that price range, it felt solid as a German car, and it handled very nicely.

Unfortunately there is no 3rd row seating option. 

They are nothing like as solid as a German car.......Tap a knuckle on an MG wing/hood, then try it on a German car, Honda, a Toyota and feel the difference...

11 minutes ago, transam said:

They are nothing like as solid as a German car.......Tap a knuckle on an MG wing/hood, then try it on a German car, Honda, a Toyota and feel the difference...

Obviously the quality of parts is below that of more expensive cars. But the "thunk" when the doors close, the firm, composed, quiet ride and especially the interior materials are unexpectedly upscale for something in that price range and far better than the ZS.

Edited by ftpjtm