1 woman killed, 1 injured in Bangkok mall shooting

Jonathan Fairfield

26 minutes ago, ross163103 said:

Fragile Thai male ego hits the nail on the head! I bet she was the one that broke up with him, if it was the other way around it would've had a different outcome. Loss of face is a BIG problem here.

have you heard about the incel movement worldwide?

it is not the Thai Male Ego that is fragile, it is Male Ego period.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, metempsychotic said:

have you heard about the incel movement worldwide?

it is not the Thai Male Ego that is fragile, it is Male Ego period.

No its not, utter nonsense - incel is something completely different. As is your second statement, which seems a blanket assumtion based on zero fact, be it observational experience or medically documented as fact.... 

2 minutes ago, fraggleRock said:

No its not, utter nonsense - incel is something completely different. As is your second statement, which seems a blanket assumtion based on zero fact, be it observational experience or medically documented as fact.... 

im sorry, what exactly an i getting wrong?

the definition of incel?

well here it is: 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incel

Incels (/ˈɪnsɛlz/ IN-selz), a portmanteau of "involuntary celibates", are members of an online subculture[1][2] who define themselves as unable to find a romantic or sexual partner despite desiring one, a state they describe as inceldom.[3]

Discussions in incel forums are often characterized by resentment, misogyny,[4] misanthropy,[1] self-pity,[5] self-loathing,[6] racism,[4][7][8] a sense of entitlement to sex, and the endorsement of violence against sexually active people.[4][9][10][11][12] The American nonprofit Southern Poverty Law Center described the subculture as "part of the online male supremacist ecosystem" that is included in their list of hate groups.[13][14]

Estimates of the overall size of the subculture vary greatly.[15][16][17] Incels are mostly male and heterosexual,[9][10][18] but sources disagree about their ethnic makeup.[19][20][21]

At least four mass murders, resulting in a total of 45 deaths, have been committed in North America by men who have either self-identified as incels or who had mentioned incel-related names and writings in their private writings or Internet postings. Incel communities have been criticized by the media and researchers for being misogynistic, encouraging violence, spreading extremist views, and radicalizing their members.[2][22][23]

you will note i did not indicate our shooter was incel.

though i suspect there are many that could be considered incel settled down in thailand to buy that which they could not find free in real life.

or was i wrong about the male ego being fragile the world over?

that i am not even going to rebut.

56 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

Loss of face is a problem everywhere, except we don't call it face we call it being embarrassed, being shamed or being disrespected. All the same thing and often with over the top outcomes.

YEP! and it's not limited to men or to Thailand.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Why can't men just walk away? There is a big issue with the relationship. It cannot be resolved. So, you accept it and move on. That is what real men do. Babies and children, who look like men, take offense at anything and everything and react in a crazy manner, without any reflection. 

Know thyself. Look within for the source of the problem. Take responsibility for your life. Man up. Get a life. 

Sounds like you might be a Jordan Peterson fan. If so, welcome to the club.

reported cases of domestic violence and intimate partner violence have sharply risen. below video is from a womens rights lawyer no less that was almost killed by ex. some men view women as assets rather than companions and humans. in thailand historically has been culturally acceptable for a long time and in past police would ignore domestic violence. a thai lady friend even said some men view sinsaut as purchase price of ownership

https://news.cgtn.com/news/2019-11-24/Domestic-violence-cases-on-the-rise-in-Thailand-LSirxiEjmw/index.html

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/324278316_Prevalence_of_Intimate_Partner_Violence_in_Thailand

ipv thailand.png

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

In the internet age  good or bad news  travel very quickly;
tourists generally avoid countries at risk, even if the landscapes or the animal fauna are splendid.
And even if the price of the plane ticket is not very expensive.

Quite to choose, they will prefer Vietnam or Malaysia ...

er.....the UK has seen a huge amount of knife crime (in the high 200's) and that has had no effect on tourists.  It is not this type of crime that stops tourists (no one would visit the USA if that was true).  It is low level crime that hits tourists - fraud, theft, etc - and that the govt need to be more proactive towards.

Edited by siamsev

2 minutes ago, atyclb said:

reported cases of domestic violence and intimate partner violence have sharply risen. below video is from a womens rights lawyer no less that was almost killed by ex. some men view women as assets rather than companions and humans. in thailand historically has been culturally acceptable for a long time and in past police would ignore domestic violence. a thai lady friend even said some men view sinsaut as purchase price of ownership

https://news.cgtn.com/news/2019-11-24/Domestic-violence-cases-on-the-rise-in-Thailand-LSirxiEjmw/index.html

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/324278316_Prevalence_of_Intimate_Partner_Violence_in_Thailand

ipv thailand.png

there is also the influence of Buddhism here.  I am in this position because I deserve to be because of misdemeanours in past incarnations.  This is my punishment - my cathartism - until the next life.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, saengd said:

What does tourist numbers have to do with some man shooting his wife in a hairdressers in Bangkok!

since you didn't get the point, I am here to help.... raise of crime lower tourism, all proportional, did you get it now? 555

1 hour ago, emptypockets said:

Loss of face is a problem everywhere, except we don't call it face we call it being embarrassed, being shamed or being disrespected. All the same thing and often with over the top outcomes.

I disagree. In many countries a relationship ends and some of us reflect on it, walk away and learn from the experience. We become better men as a result of it. We do not attempt to harm the person who we just spent alot of time with. We wish then good fortune and move on. It is called evolution and progress. It is also called introspection, self analysis, and humility. 

There is a world of difference between being embarrassed over a breakup and the kind of mindless face that is autonomically practiced here. It is the absence of self knowledge, and often the result of very low self esteem. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Exactly. A man with self esteem just walks away and  wishes his woman well. An emotional infant does these moronic acts. 

My wife and I are very independent. She goes out with her friends often. So do I with my friends. And her friends ask her with is your husband? Many of them tell her they cannot go out alone. Their men will not permit it. They have to come along. How juvenile. Possession of another is so boring. So lame. So infantile. 

This also depends on cultural context, geographic area (rural and urban), upbringing etc...to simply say 'its an Asian thing' is way to big a blanket to throw.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

What have I missed here? What has the shopping mall at the On Nut BTS got to do with this topic?

Same name, but two different shopping malls (Century Victory Monument vs. Century On Nut). That got some people confused.

Edited by Caldera
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

And regrettably, there will be more of these kinds of incidents to follow.

The tragic and sad incident at the Mall in Korat has taken the Cork out of a bottle.

This is just a trick by media to get more clicks when mentioning " mall shooting" in the headline. This guy could have killed his ex anywhere. But "mall shooting" headlines gets more readers.

1 hour ago, siamsev said:

there is also the influence of Buddhism here.  I am in this position because I deserve to be because of misdemeanours in past incarnations.  This is my punishment - my cathartism - until the next life.

who tells a woman this?  husband,  monk,  family ??   they cant just automatically assume if they are abused that this is the reason

5 hours ago, soalbundy said:

this is worldwide and not a Thai phenomena. 

Agreed, it happens a lot in my country.

Cannot be bothered to look the statistics for other countries, although i suspect it happens more in tropical and over-populated areas.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ross163103 said:

Fragile Thai male ego hits the nail on the head! I bet she was the one that broke up with him, if it was the other way around it would've had a different outcome. Loss of face is a BIG problem here.

exactly, the shooter doesn't even love the woman most of the time

A post using multiple quoted posts of multiple members posts has been removed:

Forum Netiquette:

5. Please do not quote multiple nested quotes. Quote only the relevant section that you are discussing. Moderators will snip excessively long nested quotes. 

An off topic post about an incident in Australia has been removed. 

20 hours ago, metempsychotic said:

You know, things arent necessarily worse just because you are finally paying attention and the news media has started actually reporting thes incidents.

Are you saying there have been public shootings all along, never reported?