1 woman killed, 1 injured in Bangkok mall shooting

Jonathan Fairfield

8 hours ago, saengd said:

What does tourist numbers have to do with some man shooting his wife in a hairdressers in Bangkok!

Avoiding crowded areas since a certain virus spreads world wide ...

2-3 shootings in shopping malls within 1 month.

It's not 1 man shooting a hairdresser ... it's the sum total of it.

Let's fly to BKK for a long weekend and go shopping ... well.

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I disagree. In many countries a relationship ends and some of us reflect on it, walk away and learn from the experience. We become better men as a result of it. We do not attempt to harm the person who we just spent alot of time with. We wish then good fortune and move on. It is called evolution and progress. It is also called introspection, self analysis, and humility. 

There is a world of difference between being embarrassed over a breakup and the kind of mindless face that is autonomically practiced here. It is the absence of self knowledge, and often the result of very low self esteem. 

I didn't mention a relationship breakdown but was speaking generally. I'm sure you are well aware of how that occurs. Abusing a waitress over the lack of knowledge of a wine list comes to mind.

24 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

I didn't mention a relationship breakdown but was speaking generally. I'm sure you are well aware of how that occurs. Abusing a waitress over the lack of knowledge of a wine list comes to mind.

I guess a lot people in many countries feel extremely bitter after relationship breakdowns and many may moments where they fantasise about doing something extremely violent to their ex, his or her new partner or both. But in Thailand there is much cultural precedent for actually putting those feelings into action and the means to do so is often readily at hand.

The Korat mass shooting is also extremely dangerous in that it sets a cultural precedent for Thais to follow with a huge amount of detail readily accessible in Thai. Research in the US shows that mass shooters tend to study the details of previous mass shootings before they commit their own crimes. In this sort of case, there is no hope for the shooter to get away with it.  So he could easily have chosen to go out with a big splash like the Korat shooter.

9 hours ago, saengd said:

What does tourist numbers have to do with some man shooting his wife in a hairdressers in Bangkok!

They might go DOWN (God/Buddha forbid!) as Thailand could be seen as an unsafe place to get your hair done! :cheesy:

1 hour ago, Arkady said:

Metal detectors at all the entrances of the mall including the car park might have prevented this tragedy from taking place there, even though it might have taken place somewhere else instead.

you mean like on the airport link, many people's bag "beep" and the security guard does nothing

hey, I certainly understand if you lived with an evil person

that makes your life miserable for many years

cheat around and takes you to court and you lose your house (you paid for) and she forbids you from seeing your kids

eminem's song comes to mind:  "things would be so much better, if you just drop dead"

some people take the action to end this, also ending their normal life

I understand a person wanting to end an evil ex, but most do not

I would not do, as I have my child to take care of

my whole ex + her in law family is sick with obsession over money, face, power, greed, abuse...

8 minutes ago, justin case said:

you mean like on the airport link, many people's bag "beep" and the security guard does nothing

a person may carry his "licensed" arms and carry out such a killing. how to stop people from carrying their licenced arms?

1 hour ago, sambum said:

They might go DOWN (God/Buddha forbid!) as Thailand could be seen as an unsafe place to get your hair done! :cheesy:

one incident will not have any effect; if the event occurs frequently, then public opinion and word of mouth can create an environment which is not suitable for tourism.

I've broken up with a number of different women/GFs/partners through past years. In some cases, it was amicable on both sides and time to move on. In others, I felt aggrieved and simply didn't want to have anything more to do with that person for the future.

But in none of those cases, as sad or unhappy or angry as I might have felt at the time, I never felt any inclination toward violence toward the other person. And I certainly never felt the need to shoot / kill / poison / burn / drown or any of the popular local male relationship exit methods here toward the woman involved.

Not saying it doesn't happen elsewhere because of course it does. However, it does seem to happen MORE here than in other places, kinda like the road fatalities rate where Thailand usually leads the world or is at the very top of the pertinent rankings by country. And here, the cases we hear about locally often seem to be particularly vicious (like setting on fire or forcing to drink caustic drain cleaner, etc etc.)

How about, instead, just saying... GOODBYE!

12 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Fragile Thai males never seem to have a problem acquiring guns! ????

....  ???? perhaps it's time to introduce requirements for the use of BPV (bulletproof vests) as follows:

(1) For ladies in relationship

(2) For anyone shopping in malls
(3) For anyone using tuk-tuk
(4) For anyone renting jet skis
(6) For anyone going to the bar

10 hours ago, geoff65 said:

Or the UK and Australia

Wait what does UK and Australia have to do with this? Just because I said this is not new in Thailand you just had to write that? Without anyone or me mentioning uk or aus?

Why is it that everytime someone writes something negative or slightly negative of Thailand, someone just has to pull a what aboutism or be a apologist.

Funny when UK has less than 50 gun murders and total 700 murders yearly and aus very low too, but Thailand have 3,000 only gun murders...

But keep living in your bubble.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sahibji said:

public killing? not a desirable situation.

No of course, but it is a fact, this has always been going on, except the korat shooting, that was first of it's kind total random targets.

Also violence and shootings has gone down alot the past years, I've been reading thai news everyday for the past 6 or 7 years, before it was non stop in news shootings,stabbings etc all over Thailand, before villagechiefs was assassinated very often, now barely happens, or it did some week ago.

5 hours ago, Redline said:

Are you saying there have been public shootings all along, never reported?  

no, most shootings and other crimes do not get published too thai visa news or Bangkok post, I often see in thai news about shootings and then come and check here for it, but most of the times it does not end up here or bangkok post, if it gets front page in thai news, it will get published here.

So it might seem for many that this is new or on the rise, but it has decreased alot.

I've seen such news all the years I've been reading both English and in thai news.

2 days ago there was a shooting outside buddha temple in bangkok 2 injured, nothing available on English and not shooting but a man dancing in a pub accident stepped on girls shoe, it ended with him being beaten to death by her boyfriend and his group I've seen nothing here or other sites.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2020 at 12:19 PM, metempsychotic said:

You know, things arent necessarily worse just because you are finally paying attention and the news media has started actually reporting thes incidents.

Spot on, most shootings and other violent crimes does not get published here, only in thai language, that is fact, I read both thai and English thai news.

There was a shooting outside a temple in Bangkok some day ago, 2 injured, nothing posted about it here.

a man got beaten to death in a pub for accidently stepping on a women's shoe, her boyfriend and his group did it, nothing seen here.

Some days ago 2 defence volunteers shot dead and 1 injured in restaurant/bar shooting, the volunteers had threaten a massage owner saying he would shut down the massage store for good, he got denied when asked if the girls wanted to sit with them and drink so the owner called the local big gangster he shot them at first sight, nothing published here.

And many many other cases.

18 minutes ago, ta158 said:

Spot on, most shootings and other violent crimes does not get published here, only in thai language, that is fact, I read both thai and English thai news.

There was a shooting outside a temple in Bangkok some day ago, 2 injured, nothing posted about it here.

a man got beaten to death in a pub for accidently stepping on a women's shoe, her boyfriend and his group did it, nothing seen here.

Some days ago 2 defence volunteers shot dead and 1 injured in restaurant/bar shooting, the volunteers had threaten a massage owner saying he would shut down the massage store for good, he got denied when asked if the girls wanted to sit with them and drink so the owner called the local big gangster he shot them at first sight, nothing published here.

And many many other cases.

I think the main focus of this particular topic and thread is DOMESTIC dispute (husband/wife, BG/GF) violence of the kind that occurred in the OP, not necessarily all the OTHER forms of killing and violence that occur here like the recent Korat mall shooting.

21 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I think the main focus of this particular topic and thread is DOMESTIC dispute (husband/wife, BG/GF) violence of the kind that occurred in the OP, not necessarily all the OTHER forms of killing and violence that occur here like the recent Korat mall shooting.

yeah sorry i just gave example of recent shootings and others that never ended up published here, so of course it may seem that news like this is new or on the rise, and as the guy i quoted said '' things arent necessarily worse just because you are finally paying attention and the news media has started actually reporting thes incidents''

Edited by ta158

On 2/18/2020 at 4:46 PM, MaxLee said:

That's what you get, when you slap every crime with 500 Baht and a Wai........

Do you actually believe that old Thaivisa nonsense? Thai jails are absolutely packed to the rafters with lowlifes doing serious time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Why can't men just walk away? There is a big issue with the relationship. It cannot be resolved. So, you accept it and move on. That is what real men do. Babies and children, who look like men, take offense at anything and everything and react in a crazy manner, without any reflection. 

Know thyself. Look within for the source of the problem. Take responsibility for your life. Man up. Get a life. 

... agreed !

plus the puzzling enigma of their intense jealousy / envy is very, very concerning.

Most lose it due to a backlog of ‘Mai Pen Rai’s’ that where never ‘truly let go of’. 

16 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Why can't men just walk away? There is a big issue with the relationship. It cannot be resolved. So, you accept it and move on. That is what real men do. Babies and children, who look like men, take offense at anything and everything and react in a crazy manner, without any reflection. 

Know thyself. Look within for the source of the problem. Take responsibility for your life. Man up. Get a life. 

Thanks Mr Freud, I feel better now. How much do I owe you for this week's psychoanalysis?

BTW, you need a better couch.