BANGKOK

My poverty stricken friend wants to buy a 2nd hand shipping container, aka, in USA a semi-trailer but without wheels.  I guess the sort of thing loaded onto the giant sea vessels: steel boxes with big doors on one end.  She would 'install' this thing on her tiny plot of land, make needed mods and move in.  She hopes to save at least half the cost of building a new small house.

Does anyone here have any experience with such a 'house'?  How to evaluate the box before purchase, how best to support on the land, interior walls, exterior protection from sun...the list of Qs could go on and on.

So help me out here.  Good idea or rubbish?  Don't forget she's paying 5K baht per month rent now and will be forever, if she has no house of her own.

Doubt if there would be much savings vs. a block house.

Bank would probably loan on the construction.

Lots of old threads on the topic, including places to buy a container, and other places to buy one already converted to an office or tiny house.  There's several in Thailand, especially around the ports and between BKK and Patts.  The search function is your friend.  (Unless there have been too many format changes to the website and old search results got deleted- hate when that happens)

My favorite part about a container home is that you can uproot and move it if the land it's on is no longer available (or appealing) to you.  Like a bad landlord, boom-boom bar going in next door, expired lease, or a divorce.  Sadly, moving big stuff around Thailand is pretty expensive unless you know someone.

Edit:  Whether it makes sense or not depends on a lot of things, including the temperament and skillsets of the owner.  I don't think it's a good solution for the OP's friend if she's struggling to make the 5K monthly rent.  Unless the underlying motive is to get the OP to front her the funds.  Bank financing will probably be easy for the land itself, but tougher for the hundreds of thousands of baht for the box and improvements...  The good news is that she can spend the money for improvements as she get it.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

Have a look at these small houses. Maybe your friend's finances can stretch that far?

www.facebook.com/THEWILDmobile/

Screenshot 2020-02-18 at 19.12.28.png

• Like 1

I was watching a video recently about someone that did a container conversion. He mentioned that he got a history of the container by getting the bills of lading. The major concern is that some of these containers ship toxic chemicals and you would need to be concerned about that and how you would clean these containers to get rid of the toxic materials.

• Like 2

At over 100 degree heat everyday, no matter what insulation you have...its gonna be hot, hot, hot...air con running 24/7. Mind you, can always fry an egg on the food save on gas.

• Haha 2

Seems a desperate misguided solution. She lives in Pattaya you say then if she really needs to be a homeowner then a cheapie second hand condo in one of the Thai blocks could be got for 400k I would have thought - which comes with all utilities plugged in and chanote to boot.

Just re-read your post - maybe better building a well-built serviceable 'shanty' I would have thought or try to sell the land for a good deposit and then if she is loan worthy get a mortgage. The shipping container is a pretty inflexible core structure to easily adapt I would have thought. Do you have any idea  of her budget for the build ?

https://www.bahtsold.com/view/studio-38-sqm-hagone-condotel-600-000-tb--381727

Would you want to try and sleep in one of those when the monsoon rain is hammering down?

• Haha 1

there was a post on facebook 2 weeks ago selling these, 2 bed, 3 bed, already kitted out, depended what you wanted, search and you should find it, price seemed reasonable

They are very expensive here she might as well build  a wooden house if it’s on concrete posts which you can buy I believe you don’t need planning permission as it’s classed as temporary or build a big wigwam type of dwelling out of bamboo .unless you fit out a container properly it will end up like a sweat box . I have even seen prefabricated buildings advertised google it there might be a place not to far from where she wants to live