Thai govt eyes more investment from European investors

webfact

7 minutes ago, saengd said:

The reason large successful companies tend to invest in Thailand is because they know it will be profitable. They also know that any change of heart or direction on the investing front by government is highly unlikely because it would immediately kill stone dead the chance that other companies would invest here. As a result government is keen to make sure those companies are treated well, it's basic business 101.

And whilst most foreign companies (American companies are not) who invest in Thailand are required to have  a majority of Thai Directors,  that majority does not extend to a corresponding share of profit, obviously. I realize this small fact however erases your major reason for not investing here but alas, that's the reality of the matter, as with all JV's the local partner is rewarded for their participation although not to the point where it makes doing business in the first place, unprofitable.

What do you I suggest I invest in? I hear mining is very profitable..........for some. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, saengd said:

Inflation in Thailand has averaged 0.5% per year for the past five years,

I would be curious to know how to calculate it;
What I do know is that the prices of many necessities have taken a big leap forward and are now much more expensive in 2020 than in 2015;
when suppliers increase by 1 baht a product which was worth only 12 baht, or by 3 to 4 baht another product which was worth 50 baht, the percentage of inflation is not equal to 0.5% but to much more .

Once again confusion in the use of the calculator? :annoyed:

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

I would be curious to know how to calculate it;
What I do know is that the prices of many necessities have taken a big leap forward and are now much more expensive in 2020 than in 2015;
when suppliers increase by 1 baht a product which was worth only 12 baht, or by 3 to 4 baht another product which was worth 50 baht, the percentage of inflation is not equal to 0.5% but to much more .

Once again confusion in the use of the calculator? :annoyed:

Not really, it's more likely to be a lack of understanding of how averages work and also what is included in the basket that measures inflation. Without looking it up there's something like 250 or so items that are measured and tracked, the cost of some will increase whilst other will decrease, the average overall gives the answer. Here's a report from 2017 which will give you an idea of how things work and are reported, sorry but I can't be bothered to find anything more recent.

http://www.price.moc.go.th/price/fileuploader/file_cpi/Cpig062560_TG_e.pdf

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

It seems to me that Toyota which is in the process of disintegrating from Thailand in favor of Burma or that GM, a tiny American company whose world turnover is around 150 billion US dollars are not agree with what you write to us

Since you didn't post a link to your claim I have to guess at what you're talking about so try this:

Toyota is opening a new Hilux assembly plant in Myanmar which they regard as expansion, I'm not aware they are decreasing their investment in Thailand. 

GM is quitting Thailand, New Zealand, Australia and is also scaling back its operations in Europe, I'm not aware there move is specific to just Thailand, perhaps that 150 bill. global company is not making the profit it wants. But no big loss, Great Wall is buying the GM plants so there's no loss to the country.

https://cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish/general-motors-pulls-australia-new-zealand-thailand/186166

8 minutes ago, saengd said:

the cost of some will increase whilst other will decrease,

It is obvious that if one enters the basket that certain products used by a small percentage of the population at the expense of others that everyone buys ...

For example, is it useful and above all necessary to include the price of the Chao Praya Express ticket in this basket?
Me who lives in Isaan, it makes me a nice leg to know if it increases or not ...
On the other hand I do not see the pork, nor that of buffalo which made a spectacular jump upwards,

• Thanks 1

Just now, Assurancetourix said:

It is obvious that if one enters the basket that certain products used by a small percentage of the population at the expense of others that everyone buys ...

For example, is it useful and above all necessary to include the price of the Chao Praya Express ticket in this basket?
Me who lives in Isaan, it makes me a nice leg to know if it increases or not ...
On the other hand I do not see the pork, nor that of buffalo which made a spectacular jump upwards,

It's a commuting and transportation cost for Bangkok people, not unreasonable to include.  

I haven't looked at the list for a long time but I do understand the sorts of things it contains and the way the system works. The system here works exactly the same way it works in every other country where the CPI/RPI is measured, no more, no less.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Assurancetourix said:

Besides the job loss of around 1,500 workers at GM; but it's peanuts, of course ...

So you're suggesting that Great Wall will only use robots and not hire some of those 1,500 people or that they are not included in the sale (which is typical).

A good and informative news article in the newspaper that cannot be named, describing inflation, the basket and the trade offs. Google the conundrum of low inflation news Thailand.

Apparently there are 450 items in the basket which are measured every month, large decreases in energy and transportation offset.

Edited by saengd

Just now, wendyfromoz said:

why when you automatically loose 51% of your investment to a Thai who will contribute zero.

Do you really think that all the overseas conglomerates who invest in Thailand give away 49% of their profits just to have a presence here!!!!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, saengd said:

So you're suggesting that Great Wall will only use robots and not hire some of those 1,500 people or that they are not included in the sale (which is typical).

I don't suggest anything at all; I share facts;
1,500 workers will soon be unemployed when the Chinese company owns ex-GM Thailand;
Whether or not this company replaces them with robots is not what I know.

3 minutes ago, saengd said:

Do you really think that all the overseas conglomerates who invest in Thailand give away 49% of their profits just to have a presence here!!!!

When the Japanese or the Koreans come to invest here several billion US dollars, they impose draconian conditions that the Thai authorities are obliged to accept otherwise there will be no investment ...
The 51/49% rule no longer applies at all;
it is 100% for the investor and 0% for Thailand;