Thai govt eyes more investment from European investors

webfact

2 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

I don't suggest anything at all; I share facts;
1,500 workers will soon be unemployed when the Chinese company owns ex-GM Thailand;
Whether or not this company replaces them with robots is not what I know.

I was being sarcastic, of course Great Wall is going to rehire workers, those 1,500 jobs are not lost forever, that sort of thing happens all the time.

Just now, JustAnotherHun said:

Right. The 0.5% says nothing at all as long as you don't know the basket of goods it's based on.

The basic living costs went up far more as you can see by comparing the price of rice, vegetables and fruit now and then.

And what about looking at 10 years instead of five? The Euro went down from 51 (late 2019) to now 33.3. 

Who cares about the value of the Euro, that's not a factor in Thai inflation for gods sake!

If you read the thread you can see where there's a link to the inflation basket so you can know.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

They're loosing the "cheap industries" to poorer countries like Cambodia and Bangladesh

What Thai clothing manufacturers have been doing for a very long time.
The only thing that is "made in Thailand" on their clothes is this little label sewn behind your neck.

A T-shirt sold 99 baht at the Sakon nowhere night market was bought from a Cambodian ( burma, vietnamese ) manufacturer for the modest sum of 15 or 20 baht ...
Beautiful somersault

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

Did I say that? No? So what?

And for foreign companies investing in Thailand the exchange rate is one of the main factors. Think!

The day when you will see a Thai man doing a market study before investing has not yet arrived ...
It is like introducing into the debits the purchase price of the vehicle, the maintenance of it and its fuel consumption which they use to work ...
it goes through "profits and losses" but it never enters into account in the sale price of a product.
No more than time goes by to make this one ...

the prices of a lot of things here are artificially low because the labor is almost always free.

2 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

Did I say that? No? So what?

And for foreign companies investing in Thailand the exchange rate is one of the main factors. Think!

Exchange rate for investment in Thailand is not a factor for companies and countries who already invest here and have foreign earnings, Japan and Singapore in particular who account for half of all inward FDI. In fact, repatriations of earnings by Japanese companies is a real conundrum since those earnings are substantial, invested in second tier investments in Thailand and then leveraged by the home company.

8 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

Sure it is a factor. First for any future investment and second, even more important if not produced for the domestic market, in the export. The higher the THB, the less competitve Thai made products are abroad. That's simple logic.

Japan and Singapore use Thailand as a still cheap workshop. But as said other countries like vietnam close in rapidly with a better investment climate, better educated workers, better language skills and still lower wages.

And this topic is about european investments, right? And you seriosly want totell me, the excange rate is not an important factor to them?

You're asking a poster who's stated many times before that Thailand can't (as in it's not possible) manipulate its currency. 

6 minutes ago, saengd said:

Not true, as usual!

What I have asked is that anyone who thinks Thailand has manipulated its currency should demonstrate how they have done that because as hard as I have looked into the matter I don't see how it is possible....thus far nobody has come forward with an answer, despite asking tens of times, over at least one year.

"Not true, as usual!"? 

You just stated, "I don't see how it is possible". 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, saengd said:

Most Japanese companies for example use Thailand as an assembly base, that means they pay a tax on the export of finished goods but that does not dictate selling price in foreign markets. As a consequence their net manufacturing costs remains fairly low plus they are free to determine country by country pricing in the market they sell into.

You want to say that the exchange rate has not a significant inluence to the selling prices abroad? Really?

Sure. Japanese companies use Thailand as an assembly line, but the rising costs along with the strong THB close the profit gap doing so.

Also, much is written here about Vietnam being the country to steal Thailand's economic growth in tourism and manufacturing and exports. A few points:

Vietnam's GDP is half of Thailand's, they are very much in the early stages of economic development, the new boy on the block.

Yes, they are quite new in the competition. Does that make them less dangerous to Thaiuland? I don't think so.

The Vietnamese have a dislike of the Chinese so Chinese business often finds it difficult to establish there whereas Thailand and China have a long association.

That's right, but this is not the so for Japan and the western countries. China is a huge economic player but it's not the only one.

Vietnam has just enacted similar immigration controls to Thailand, it is no longer the easy access country it was and things are getting tighter.

If they tighten the rules for wannabe longstayers and retirees that is not  of any importance to investors and companies

Vietnam is a communist country, the rule of law does not prevail and this is often seen as a deterent to doing business.

And what exactly is different to Thailand and it's mega corrupt system - except they are no "communists" here?

Edited by JustAnotherHun
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, webfact said:

He asked the EU-ASEAN Business Council (EU-ABC) to further convey information on Thailand’s potential and investment promotion plans to European investors.

Well... Stop being a huge a-hole towards westerners, you and your whole lot, would be a nice first step. But I guess that's out of discussion...

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Seriously ? Heavy night last night ? The article is about Europe - not America or the US $. Against my £ its seems to be about 28% down from what I got in 2015. I was getting about 55 to the baht , now just over 40. Hence my comment, but don't let continents get in the way of Richard bashing hey ? 

Between 2009 and 2020 I rarely got over 50bht/pound. Why just quote the maximum exchange rate you ever got?

My average before Brexit was 50 (drifted between 48 and 52 most of the time), after my average is 40.

Back to the OP, invest in an unstable country ruled by the military ..... not in this life.

I don't even holiday in Thailand any more.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Seriously ? Heavy night last night ? The article is about Europe - not America or the US $. Against my £ its seems to be about 28% down from what I got in 2015. I was getting about 55 to the baht , now just over 40. Hence my comment, but don't let continents get in the way of Richard bashing hey ? 

Your Pound/Baht exchange rate is derived from the value of USD/THB, if you want to talk about Pound/Baht you have no choice but to talk about USD, especially since Thailand's managed peg is directly linked to USD!

With that thought in mind, your Pound crashed, oh well, the Brexit impact on GBP has nowt to do with THB, Thailand or Thailand's economy but we're all sorry about your loss of spending power nevertheless, try not to take it out on Thailand however!!!

1 hour ago, JustAnotherHun said:

You want to say that the exchange rate has not a significant inluence to the selling prices abroad? Really?

Sure. Japanese companies use Thailand as an assembly line, but the rising costs along with the strong THB close the profit gap doing so.

Yes, they are quite new in the competition. Does that make them less dangerous to Thaiuland? I don't think so.

That's right, but this is not the so for Japan and the western countries. China is a huge economic player but it's not the only one.

If they tighten the rules for wannabe longstayers and retirees that is not  of any importance to investors and companies

And what exactly is different to Thailand and it's mega corrupt system - except they are no "communists" here?

So pleased to see you select which points you want to argue, just arguing every point solves that dilemma!

In the order you wrote them: 

I didn't say the exchange rate doesn't have an influence on selling prices, you did! I wrote that it doesn't dictate selling prices, be more careful when you quote me.

Yes, they don't have the same experience or standing.

You may recall that China has a small problem with the Japanese.

Whatever, I was merely pointing out that Vietnam is growing up also.

Well one is a monarchy and the other is a communist government....I can't believe you're actually asking me what the difference is!!

1 hour ago, geriatrickid said:

I think that you will find that the  relatively recent bribery and corruption regulations in the EU, and USA will not facilitate a return to the good old days. 

In theory that should have impact, in practice....? I mean Japanese companies even have the official position of bribe taker on their corporate structure charts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rkidlad said:

"Not true, as usual!"? 

You just stated, "I don't see how it is possible". 

You've reminded me why I put you on ignore, your propensity to troll gets really tiresome, I must stop peaking at your posts from time to time.

But not true yet again!! In case your understanding of English is lacking, not seeing how something is possible is not the same as "they can't".

So bye for now, I'll leave you to have your usual last word.

6 minutes ago, Brigand said:

Guess we could always contact Carlsberg or Pepsi for comments on that one.

You chose two excellent examples, thank you for proving my point.

https://www.nationthailand.com/business/30290922 - Carlesberg

https://www.pri.org/stories/2013-03-11/thailands-cola-conflict-leaves-pepsi-out-cold

The catastrophe happened because PepsiCo tried, and failed, to take over the distributor, Serm Suk. When the contract ended, Serm Suk launched Est in Pepsi's place.

5 hours ago, saengd said:

Inflation in Thailand has averaged 0.5% per year for the past five years, it's one of their major economic problems.

https://tradingeconomics.com/thailand/inflation-cpi

At the end of 2015, THB was worth USD 35.3, today it's worth 31.0, about 12% over five years.

But hey, don't let a few small facts get in the way of your thrice daily Thai bash Richard! 

Ah bless, nice to know some people believe the dross that comes out of the Junta's windbag

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, saengd said:

Do you really think that all the overseas conglomerates who invest in Thailand give away 49% of their profits just to have a presence here!!!!

It's not about profits, it's about control.

Who on earth trusts the despot  who really runs this country?

Why do you keep conflating things to appease you Chicom masters?