Britain's row with Greece over treasures spills into Brexit tensions

webfact

7 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

What's it gotta do with rich lawyer Clooney?

Wonder how many mansions they now own and what their carbon footprints are like?

Great example of left wing liberals who want to rule with their do as we say not as we do mantras.

LOL... damn lefty liberals at it again.... bustards!

meanwhile, she made comment because she is a preeminent international lawyer and had been retained by Greece in this matter

it was her job... she was paid to do it

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Exactly how ere they purchased? How much was paid? is there a bill of sale? 

"The Marbles were transported by sea to Britain. Elgin later claimed to have obtained in 1801 an official decree (a firman)[5] from the Sublime Porte, the central government of the Ottoman Empire which were then the rulers of Greece. This firman has not been found in the Ottoman archives despite its wealth of documents from the same period[6] and its veracity is disputed"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elgin_Marbles

Greece thanks Britain very very much for the safekeeping of their property , now please give it back , because if you don't, it is not safe keeping it is theft. 

We didn't get them off Greece. You may do well to read all the posts on this topic and it might give you a better understanding. If I may highlight bristol boy posts you won't go far wrong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, vogie said:

We didn't get them off Greece. You may do well to read all the posts on this topic and it might give you a better understanding. If I may highlight bristol boy posts you won't go far wrong.

I am sorry. Where did you get them from?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, evadgib said:

Claimed by three states despite UK's insistance that it's theirs under the last treaty of Lahore?

According the treaty of Sevres, the Bosporus + Smyrna ( Izmir) would be parts of Greece. So, what is the value of a treaty, especially based on the power of arms of that time ?

Edited by puipuitom
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, RubbaJohnny said:

They've just lost their marbles, don't make a drachma out of a crisis.

Greeks invented philosophy , democracy for non slaves and of course ouzo.

Men in skirts less said the spannerkppta

"democracy for non slaves". ????

12 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

As if lots of Brits give a hoot about the Elgin Marbles?!

Some things assume importance over and above their immediate significance when assumed principles of interest are fought over. Returning the Marbles would not be a one-off and all know that or at least should do.

Hmmmm.  This brings up some interesting issues.  There must be many arrangements or treaties, or protocols, etc.  some official, some not so official and formal that deal with all sorts of things that could come into play as Brexit separates the country from many EU things. 

2 hours ago, SheungWan said:

Some things assume importance over and above their immediate significance when assumed principles of interest are fought over. Returning the Marbles would not be a one-off and all know that or at least should do.

Boris is into all this ancient stuff, adds an angle to it.

I see lots of antiquities have been returned to Cambodian, also a lot taken from Iraq & Syria. I was in Syria before this war, they'd done a great job of preserving a lot of that stuff.

21 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Quite right. Good faith is not countries trying to use this as leverage to settle some unrelated score.

Bankrupt idle Greece, still hovering about whether to leave the Euro and default on it's debts, doesn't care about any trade deals. Not exactly a EU powerhouse exporting massive amounts. Now Germany might not be so pleased with this Greek idea. Especially as they did their share of looting. 

Greece still pretends they're an independent country that can do as they wish. Germany knows better.

Making things up much? Greece is most decidedlly not "hovering about whether to leave the Euro and default on its debts." For better or worse that issue was definitively decided years ago.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

What's it gotta do with rich lawyer Clooney?

Wonder how many mansions they now own and what their carbon footprints are like?

Great example of left wing liberals who want to rule with their do as we say not as we do mantras.

Carbon footprints? Really? Obsessed much?

• Like 1

The usual suspects absolutely perplexed that the continentals are using smart alec tactics.

You are either inside the tent out outside of it. And if when you were inside the tent you were pouring buckets of sh!t all over your fellow members then stuff like this shouldn’t be a surprising. 

The brave new world is here! 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

The usual suspects are urinating on UK in multiple threads on a daily basis while having no irons in the fire & perhaps never even having set foot there ????

Never set foot there? I used to have residency there, voted there and will get a full British pension when I retire.  

But whatever, I don’t deal in fairy stories. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

Hmmmm.  This brings up some interesting issues.  There must be many arrangements or treaties, or protocols, etc.  some official, some not so official and formal that deal with all sorts of things that could come into play as Brexit separates the country from many EU things. 

10 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

As long as they don't separate me from my favourite German wurst.

sliced-german-sausages-selection-isolated-white-background-32674206.jpg

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 1

Oh the irony (HMG/DWP feeding the hand that bites lol)

Paying towards my own pension is considered that now is it?

No wonder post after post here by you blokes is full of upside down economics!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, samran said:

Paying towards my own pension is considered that now is it?

No wonder post after post here by you blokes is full of upside down economics!

The humour would not have escaped you if served in the other direction. Somehow I guess the consortium isn't something you'll bother with either ????

• Thanks 1