Anyone taking advantage of the big Chevy sale?

giddyup

1 minute ago, Pravda said:

That's not how it works. 

Cars don't lose 50% value just because 20 cars in stock were advertised at 50% off.

The second hand value of Captivas has to be affected though when their reputation wasn't that good to begin with.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

No, it's a necessity if you live off a baht bus route, or you want to travel elsewhere in Thailand, or if you need to carry 6 bags of groceries home from the supermarket. As far as depreciation goes, probably a lot less than most western countries, the initial outlay may be higher though. BTW, not everyone live in Bangkok.

Yes.

I have a motorbike and get places twice as fast as a car.

If I want to travel I rent a car.

I live alone do not need to carry 6 bags of groceries.

I also have a neat set up transporting my golf clubs on my bike.

Like I said:  I would never buy a car here. Not needed for my life.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

Yes because they are stopping production... 

Good deal if you don't mind sourcing your own spares and have a reliable mechanic to do the servicing !!

No mention of that sort of reduction on their website though ??

10 years back up for service and spare parts

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

IMO a BMW Mini is a big step up from a Juke. At 750,000 the Captivas may be sitting in the dealers yards a long time. As far as the rest of the Chevy range, the reductions are a joke and only bring prices in line with other comparable brands.

Please let us know other options at around 750k for automatic pickup, 4 doors.

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

2 hours ago, Toosetinmyways said:

The same people that pay a couple of million for a Mini.

A would place a bet that the Captivas have all been bought by the trade and they have signed a pact they will not sell them for under 750,000 baht

Apparently 4000 units at 499k sold out in 12hrs !!!

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

Yes.

I have a motorbike and get places twice as fast as a car.

If I want to travel I rent a car.

I live alone do not need to carry 6 bags of groceries.

I also have a neat set up transporting my golf clubs on my bike.

Like I said:  I would never buy a car here. Not needed for my life.

Renting a car for occasional use makes sense, i even go to Sattahip by bike with clubs to play golf, much easier than i expected. It's great not needing a car

17 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Renting a car for occasional use makes sense, i even go to Sattahip by bike with clubs to play golf, much easier than i expected. It's great not needing a car

It's great having one!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, giddyup said:

IMO a BMW Mini is a big step up from a Juke. At 750,000 the Captivas may be sitting in the dealers yards a long time. As far as the rest of the Chevy range, the reductions are a joke and only bring prices in line with other comparable brands.

Mini used to be assembled here and was still sold at over 2 million baht despite not having any import tariffs.

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

and in the rainy season ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, giddyup said:

IMO a BMW Mini is a big step up from a Juke.

You really think so? Check out reports of serious engine and power steering issues with Mini's.  The BMW owned Mini brand is regarded as a pile of cr*p by the UK motor trade.

9 hours ago, DeeMoney said:

Trailblazer's and Colorado's interior parts can use Isuzu's. Engine parts not an issue either, it's been in assembly for a decade. The serious problem are body panels which are not interchangeable with Isuzu.

The massive discount is mostly because the finance companies will now refuse to give loans for Chevrolets, both new and old, so cash only. On other car forums a lot of users are saying you can't insure these as well due to the risk of crashed Chevrolets being written-off in most collisions due to body panels not being readily available.

Nonsense, Colorado and Trailblazer parts are    on the interior  not interchangeable now, it had a big facelift in 2016 only pre 2016  models  will have similar interiors, also still  fully  insurable, just go to roojai and get a quote right now for a Colorado. The Colorado is also made in Brazil called the S10 the "international"  version not the American one so parts  would always be available from there although Im sure there is ample stock in Thailand and surrounding countries for years to come.

27 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Its a bit naive and unfair to label a whole brand as unreliable. All motor manufacturers share parts these days - you probably don't know it but your Nissan may have a Renualt gearbox and your Ford may have a Mazda engine. In the UK I drive an Alfa diesel and the engine was jointly built by GM and Alfa. Its been going on for years as manufacturers strive to cut costs and even the luxury brands like BMW are at it. Then there's the cloudy issue of 'genuine parts' - most car manufacturers are simply assemblers. They buy in a good percentage of their parts and simply put them together in their plants. Many of these parts are interchangeable - the makers don't only sell them to one brand. Injection systems are a good example - the manufacturer may sell the same pump and noozles to several brands so if there's a later issue with them, that issue will affect all brands using them.

I don't doubt some models can be troublesome but that can apply to any brand. Ask the owners of BMW 2.0 diesels bought between 2007 and 2011 - cam chains snapping, even at low mileages with devastating results! Volkswagen, the supposedly bulletproof brand has had several serious issues with diesel injectors over the last 12 years or so and they buy injection systems from several makers. The list goes on and on and I doubt Japanese brands are any different.

With Chevvy I can only speak from my experience. I had a 2013 Sonic and believe me it was thrashed on most journeys. The car covered a lot of km's during the 3 years I had it and apart from routine servicing the only parts it ever needed was a set of ignition coils and 1 lower ball joint.

A lot of the parts issues with Chevrolets seem to be because many aftermarket parts shops simply don't stock them but with a little effort, you can usually find them.  The local shops said 'mai mee' on both coils and ball joint but I obtained a set of coils from Bangkok overnight.  The ball joint was slightly different - both the local aftermarket dealer and the Chevvy dealer said I had to buy a complete suspension arm and neither had it in stock. I had a look on Ebay and the joint itself was available in the UK very cheaply.  It wasn't urgent so I brought one with me on my next trip. A little strange really as there's a very strong chance that the part I bought in the UK was made in Thailand.

The aftermarket dealers seem to only stock parts for the most popular brands/models - Toyota, Honda etc. No matter what the brand, if you want dealer parts outside Bangkok, its quite common for them to take a couple of days to arrive. I had to wait 2 days for a brake master cylinder for a Honda City and my mate had to wait 3 months for a new engine (under warranty) for his Ford Everest.

As has been said before - a lot of Colorado parts are interchangeable with D-Max bits.

Depending on the model, if you're prepared to accept a little hassle, you are probably going to be able to pick up a real bargain following GM's announcment.

The  Colorado is actually  quite a good  truck, the "Craptiva"  old  model earned its  reputation though.

47 minutes ago, smccolley said:

I have a 2004 Chevy Colorado, 4x4 4 door. It has never given me a minute of problem and if I could get a deal on a new Colorado High Country Storm I would jump all over it. I do need to check on the insurance thing however. No insurance would be a deal breaker.

I have had numerous Chevys and GMCs in my life and never really had any issues that I can think of, besides tickets....

Roojai.com will insure you  no  problem and at a very good  price. The bog standard higher spec  high country 2wd is a  good  price  now about 820k inc vat, was  998k dont  think  theyll  reduce  the 4x4  much?

9 hours ago, simple1 said:

In Australia GM is guaranteeing spare parts available for 10 years, what's the situation in Thailand?

5years.

The wife is looking in Surin for one for her sister. None available in Bangkok or Rayong apparently

Edited by emptypockets