Anyone taking advantage of the big Chevy sale?

giddyup

7 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

Apparently, the Captiva LS that is advertised at 499k is now out of stock.... 

That is according to my sister in law who is in a Chevvy group on Line App !!

Would still be worth going in to your local dealer to check in interested...

Of course they are out of stock.

This is nothing more than a publicity stunt with very limited stock left.

Do you really think GM is that desperate?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Toosetinmyways said:

I feel sorry for the punters who own a Captiva already and have now seen the resale value drop by at least 50%.

So you think the resale value drops by 50% because probably 0.01% of all captiva's in Thailand were sold at this publicity stunt?

Went to my Chevy dealer around 6pm you'd thought you were at Best buy on the morning of black Friday. 

You can order a captiva premiere but after looking at it no gps, doors feel heavy when you close them and the big tablet for a radio are turn offs. I can't imagine they sold too many at 1.2 mb. 

Think ill sit and see if the trailblazer comes down because they were always 100k or more off so no big bargain. 

I would touch a Chevy product with a ten foot pole.  The trucks are a little better than the cars.  However, in Thailand there have been rumblings about insurance companies not wanting to insure them anymore.  I would assume that former mechanics that used to work for Chevy dealers might open their shops which would be greatly appreciated

4 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

You really think so? Check out reports of serious engine and power steering issues with Mini's.  The BMW owned Mini brand is regarded as a pile of cr*p by the UK motor trade.

And what kind of reputation does the Juke have?

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Susco said:

So you think the resale value drops by 50% because probably 0.01% of all captiva's in Thailand were sold at this publicity stunt?

I'm not sure the percentage but rumoured there was around 4000 units.

I reckon the resale value will probably drop by 50%.

Along with the warranty, servicing and parts issues, cannot see anyone stumping up more

than 500 000 baht for a second hand one.

According to the newspaper which name we are not allowed to quote:

Quote: A sales manager at a dealer in Pattaya said he sold more than 100 cars on Wednesday to both Thai and foreign customers.

So probably the best day ever for Chevrolet regarding sales in Thailand.

18 hours ago, Pravda said:

That's not how it works. 

Cars don't lose 50% value just because 20 cars in stock were advertised at 50% off.

They do in Thailand where no one wants to buy a used car from a 2nd owner. If you don't think discontinued cars lose 50% of their resale value look online at all the used Harley Davidsons for sale, since the new factory went in. Owners have to really reduce the prices to move them. With the new factory in Thailand, the prices of new bikes have been reduced by 1/3. 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, smccolley said:

I have a 2004 Chevy Colorado, 4x4 4 door. It has never given me a minute of problem and if I could get a deal on a new Colorado High Country Storm I would jump all over it. I do need to check on the insurance thing however. No insurance would be a deal breaker.

I have had numerous Chevys and GMCs in my life and never really had any issues that I can think of, besides tickets....

If youre happy with your 2004 Chev Colorado, then next time buy an Isuzu. The Colorados were Isuzu pickup trucks with Chev/Colorado badges on them. That was before GM built their own factory. 

15 hours ago, smccolley said:

I have a 2004 Chevy Colorado, 4x4 4 door. It has never given me a minute of problem and if I could get a deal on a new Colorado High Country Storm I would jump all over it. I do need to check on the insurance thing however. No insurance would be a deal breaker.

I have had numerous Chevys and GMCs in my life and never really had any issues that I can think of, besides tickets....

Your 2004 Chevy truck is an Isuzu.....You will have noooooo ploblem replacing it with another...????

Its worth giving thought to. If I was a mechanic, with intimate knowledge of repair and part sourcing I suppose it may be a good idea, but I have no idea if getting simple filters and belts may cause me issues. So I suppose not. A new Chevy truck or a used Toyota, I think I am playing smart with the Toyota.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Susco said:

Of course they are out of stock.

This is nothing more than a publicity stunt with very limited stock left.

Do you really think GM is that desperate?

Shutting down in 3 countries... yeah sounds desperate. Not sure if that will equate to 50% in all cases, it will of course depend on how long the stock has been held at dealership, and how soon that dealership has before the doors close. They will go as low as they need to go to move them. That is a fact.

• Like 1

It’s good value and good sale fir anyone with short term thinking .

fact is no warranty , but ok get the car for cheaper price .

parts, let’s assume they will keep stock for 10 years, most likely at higher prices . 

what about if or when you decide to sell? Who would buy when there is no service or parts ? 

would have been a different story if chev was closing down dealerships or keeping dealerships but closing down factories . But they pulling out completely.

you may enjoy it for 3-5 years and then might have to give it away for 50-100K if lucky 

The Colarado prices are way to rich for me!  If it was just a discontinued model and GM were still here in a village near you, or me, I'd consider one if the price was a lot lower.  But, from the looks of it the warranty will be as useful as a 3 legged greyhound at Olympic Park on Saturday night!  If there are insurance and finance issues that makes it doubly worse.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, giddyup said:

So you don't know.

What do you think 'No idea' means? So, lets say I take your word for it and the Juke has serious issues, meaning both the Mini and the Juke are bad buys. How then would the Juke, as you say, be a 'step up'?

As far as I know, the steering problem with Mini's only affected the first generation but it took several court cases before BMW were forced to do something about it.  I've been out of the trade for a few years now so I don't get first hand knowledge of what's going on in the motor industry. However, I still have a lot of mates in it - they all tell the Mini has serious engine problems.

From my time in the trade, I do remember one well accepted fact - Peugeot made some of the best diesel engines around and some of the worst petrol ones. Guess who makes the Mini's petrol engines?

8 hours ago, BestB said:

what about if or when you decide to sell? Who would buy when there is no service or parts ?

That depends upon what parts you are talking about. If you mean so called 'genuine parts' - yes they will get more and more difficult to obtain. But who buys genuine parts? Don't be fooled by the myths about only fitting genuine parts - motor manufacurers actually make very few of the components for their cars - they just assemble them.  The vast majority of a car's components are outsourced. Some may be re-branded, others still bear the maker's logo. A good example is an alternator - I don't know of a single car maker that builds alternators. If you have a Japanese car, take a look at the alternator - chances are it will have Denso branding. You can either buy a new Denso alternator from the dealer or you can buy one (Denso) from an aftermarket parts store - they will both be identical but the price will be vastly different.

Daihatsu pulled out of the UK several years ago but I can still buy aftermarket parts for my 27. year old Fourtrak - I've had it 6 years now and still haven't had a parts issue.

As for service? A good mechanic is a good mechanic - sometimes it takes a while for tech info to get outside the main dealer on a new model but basically, a decent garage will have access to all they need to fix any car. Can't speak for Thailand but in the UK I would say you get a better job done by independent garages anyway.

That said, there will be some issues but as long as you can buy a new Chevy at a knock down price, you should be on a winner.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

That depends upon what parts you are talking about. If you mean so called 'genuine parts' - yes they will get more and more difficult to obtain. But who buys genuine parts? Don't be fooled by the myths about only fitting genuine parts - motor manufacurers actually make very few of the components for their cars - they just assemble them.  The vast majority of a car's components are outsourced. Some may be re-branded, others still bear the maker's logo. A good example is an alternator - I don't know of a single car maker that builds alternators. If you have a Japanese car, take a look at the alternator - chances are it will have Denso branding. You can either buy a new Denso alternator from the dealer or you can buy one (Denso) from an aftermarket parts store - they will both be identical but the price will be vastly different.

Daihatsu pulled out of the UK several years ago but I can still buy aftermarket parts for my 27. year old Fourtrak - I've had it 6 years now and still haven't had a parts issue.

As for service? A good mechanic is a good mechanic - sometimes it takes a while for tech info to get outside the main dealer on a new model but basically, a decent garage will have access to all they need to fix any car. Can't speak for Thailand but in the UK I would say you get a better job done by independent garages anyway.

That said, there will be some issues but as long as you can buy a new Chevy at a knock down price, you should be on a winner.

So you think a garage will invest in the tech diagnostic stuff to fix a low production, now defunked brand in LOS......????

You think a business will be set up to stock vast amounts of pattern parts for a debunked brand. Or would it be safer to say a garage will try to fix a problem but tell the ride owner, we have to import that part, it could take a few weeks.....????

Chevy are slashing the prices because they know folk would be daft to entertain a Chevy, BUT could be lured by the huge cost saving.

Plus, try selling or trading in a Chevy........????

• Like 2