Anyone taking advantage of the big Chevy sale?

giddyup

On 2/20/2020 at 7:47 AM, guzzi850m2 said:

According to the newspaper which name we are not allowed to quote:

Quote: A sales manager at a dealer in Pattaya said he sold more than 100 cars on Wednesday to both Thai and foreign customers.

So probably the best day ever for Chevrolet regarding sales in Thailand.

The BANGKOK POST reported that also.  Which newspaper's name are we not allowed to quote?

Edited by Just Weird

From the Forum Rules:

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

These restrictions are put in place by the above publications, not Thaivisa.com
In rare cases, forum Administrators or the news team may use these sources under special permission.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

From my time in the trade, I do remember one well accepted fact - Peugeot made some of the best diesel engines around and some of the worst petrol ones. Guess who makes the Mini's petrol engines?

Which Peugeot petrol engines from, say, the last 35/40 years are so terrible as to be classed by you as "some of the worst engines around"?  Were there any particular models that suffered as a result in that period?  Just curious.

16 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

What do you think 'No idea' means? So, lets say I take your word for it and the Juke has serious issues, meaning both the Mini and the Juke are bad buys. How then would the Juke, as you say, be a 'step up'?

As far as I know, the steering problem with Mini's only affected the first generation but it took several court cases before BMW were forced to do something about it.  I've been out of the trade for a few years now so I don't get first hand knowledge of what's going on in the motor industry. However, I still have a lot of mates in it - they all tell the Mini has serious engine problems.

From my time in the trade, I do remember one well accepted fact - Peugeot made some of the best diesel engines around and some of the worst petrol ones. Guess who makes the Mini's petrol engines?

Strange how BMW are still happy with the mini engine they use, don't you think.....????

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1042214_bmw-and-peugeot-citroen-extend-4-cylinder-engine-partnership

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, transam said:
59 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

The BANGKOK POST reported that also.  Which newspaper's name are we not allowed to quote?

If you quote it, you get a holiday.....

Nothing in the rules states that the Bangkok Post's name can't be mentioned which is what I commented about! 

Rule 26 means that the Bangkok Post's content, or links to it's content cannot be used...

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

7 hours ago, transam said:

So you think a garage will invest in the tech diagnostic stuff to fix a low production, now defunked brand in LOS......

How long have you been in the motor trade? Most diagnostic software available to independents covers all brands. Chevrolet models will already be covered.

7 hours ago, transam said:

You think a business will be set up to stock vast amounts of pattern parts for a debunked brand.

Not at all - the businesses already exist and the parts are already available from the wholesaler. I would think that any shrewd aftermarket parts supplier to up their stock of Chevvy parts.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, transam said:

Strange how BMW are still happy with the mini engine they use, don't you think.....

Nothing surprises me about BMW. They denied, and still do to some extent that their N47 2.0 diesel engine had camchain problems and have refused warranty claims to thousands of obviously upset owners. One engine disintegrated at 25,000 miles. No idea of the true extent of the problem but that engine was fitted to many of their models built over a 4 year period. There have been some reports of camchain problems with later models too. How a so called 'prestige' brand can behave like they've done and still sell cars is beyond me.

They denied the Mini had problems with its steering rack until they were forced to replace them in the US by the authorities.  In the UK it took a celebrity posting about the problems with his daughter's Mini before they did anything and still haven't fully accepted the fault.

With manufacturers its all down to cost.  If the cost of buying from Peugeot is advantageous, they will continue.  The Mini's engine problems begin when most cars are out of warranty so they won't have paid out much.

My neighbour has a Mini and its clearly not long for this world - sounds like a bag o nails when its starts up.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Which Peugeot petrol engines from, say, the last 35/40 years are so terrible as to be classed by you as "some of the worst engines around"?

Too many to list but I'm confident you'll find a lot of info on the web. As a taster many of the 1.9 petrols in the 80's and 90's had camshaft problems. More lately the THP 150/155/156 (also fitted to the Mini) engines had timing chain/hydraulic tensioner problems and oil consumption issues........ the list goes on. 

Sadly in later years, unreliability problems have started affecting their diesel engines too. The HDI's - developed jointly with Ford have several issues which have gone from minor in the early ones to catastrophic in recent years - going backwards!

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

With manufacturers its all down to cost.

The Bean counters Rule.

They look at how many problems will arise - including being sued after someone dies due to a fault with their products.

If the cost is less then the recall and repair, they do nothing.

Case in point - the GM key disaster.

Anyone who thinks BMW, MB, et al are a 'prestige brand' in this day and age is seriously deluded.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

The Bean counters Rule.

They look at how many problems will arise - including being sued after someone dies due to a fault with their products.

If the cost is less then the recall and repair, they do nothing.

Case in point - the GM key disaster.

Anyone who thinks BMW, MB, et al are a 'prestige brand' in this day and age is seriously deluded.

Like the "Chini" BMW Mini?

On 2/19/2020 at 5:19 PM, Tchooptip said:

I have a Trailblazer 4WD 3 years old I cannot say i am verry happy with the sitation!

Me a 5 year old Captiva

Just hope that they honor their promise to keep servicing centres open and spare parts available

3 hours ago, ThaiPauly said:

Me a 5 year old Captiva

Just hope that they honor their promise to keep servicing centres open and spare parts available

Theres  over 300000 Chevrolets  in Thailand and I still see many well over 10  years  old  kicking around. Colorado parts  will be easily available, the newer Captiva I  think will be more difficult later.

After 4  phone  calls and some  messaging on facebook inc  Chevrolet head  office  I got NO answer off any of  them, this is Chevrolets  real  problem, <deleted> service compounded by Thailands overall <deleted> service IMO.

I asked today how  much was a Storm Colorado 4x4 and its 914k + on the road charges about another 10k ish total 924k, I was  just curious as it seems  the higher end  are not being discounted  much, all the cheaper  base models have sold  out Ie  LS X  Cab.

I  bought a Storm 4x4  last year in January got 120k off it paid 978k (list 1098000) so  now its cheaper  by 54k, not exactly a massive saving .

The Captiva  deal was good,there is VAT to pay on the discount offered so if 200k saving you pay 14 k vat, on the Captiva at 500k discount its 35k to ADD to the  prices they show ie 499+35k

Im perfectly  happy  with it, the dealers in some cases are  plain chronic. No problems with it at all.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, transam said:

Anyone entertaining a Chevy, when the future of their operation is very bleak, just to save a some dosh, must be daft. Even before Chevy's demise their rides were very much down the favourite list..

How about those entertaining it because they actually  like them?

Edited by gunderhill
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, transam said:

Anyone entertaining a Chevy, when the future of their operation is very bleak, just to save a some dosh, must be daft. Even before Chevy's demise their rides were very much down the favourite list..

A top spec Colorado at half price is good value if they ever get that low and I would be in one in a heart beat.

22 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

A top spec Colorado at half price is good value if they ever get that low and I would be in one in a heart beat.

You need to look at the depreciation. GM is a brand in serious decline, shutting down in quite a few countries.

Let's say depreciation on a Fortuner here is 30% over four years. What do you think it is for a Colorado of the same vintage?

That discount might not be as good as you believe.

Guys, if you insist on dealer service centres then you may be disappointed in the not too distant future. But unless its to deal with warranty work, why would you need a Chevrolet appointed service centre? If you think they have some special powers or 'factory trained' staff, you may find that is just an illusion.

If you think spares are going to be an issue, I doubt it, not for a long time.  When your local 'freddy' repair shop tells you they can't find parts, its just laziness. Believe me you will be able to find parts, maybe not as easy as walking into a dealer but you will be able to find parts for many years.  Body panels?  I think that even these will be available - either non-genuine or secondhand.

That said, you will have to put a little morte effort in than you would with other brands so unless you're offered a really good discount on a new Chevvy, it may not be right for you.

As for waiting for factory parts - see my earlier post where a friend had to wait 3 months for a new engine for his (new model) Ford Everest under warranty.....3 months!!! Waiting for parts can apply to any brand in Thailand.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Lacessit said:

You need to look at the depreciation. GM is a brand in serious decline, shutting down in quite a few countries.

Let's say depreciation on a Fortuner here is 30% over four years. What do you think it is for a Colorado of the same vintage?

I'd drive it for a few years then give it to the inlaws, effectively making the  "deprecation" 100%.

12 hours ago, Don Mega said:

Sadly  not  yet, discounted from 1098000 to  about 925k,  the Captiva was the real steal the rest is  not, but as I mentioned I got 120k off just over a  year ago anyway before any firesale.

Edited by gunderhill

11 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Fortuner and Colorado are not the same style  of vehicle, you need to  look at a  Trailblazer V Fortuner or  Revo V  Colorado and its not as great as you  think.

Just now, gunderhill said:

Fortuner and Colorado are not the same style  of vehicle, you need to  look at a  Trailblazer V Fortuner or  Revo V  Colorado and its not as great as you  think.

Which brand would you rather own? Toyota or GM?

On 2/23/2020 at 6:48 PM, Lacessit said:

Yes but 30% of a decent spec Fortuner isn't much more than the total price of a Colorado if the Colorado was discounted by 50%.

Sure the Colorado would depreciate more in % terms. But in real terms it would have to depreciate by around 450,000 Baht in 4 years to cost more than the Fortuner, which is unlikely if you only pay 500k for it. Plus with the Colorado you'd have a spare million Baht knocking around for those 4 years.

I'd buy a top spec Colorado for 499K.