Jump to content
Thai Visa Forum

drinking water purifier - recommendations?


Recommended Posts

Currently using this under 3,000 baht unit sold on Lazada and is working fine (better than more expensive units of same type I had in the past).  No pretty lights but they are not needed.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/ro-50-gpd-00001-micron-fastpure-i271658718-s425654241.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.5.496757e1OjhcdL&search=1

Link to post
Share on other sites

Little bit of advice,if you are using well water,make sure

you have plenty of pre-filters,as your RO membrane could clog

quickly,and the membrane must be changed at 6 months

intervals,depending of course how much water you are 

using,and it may be best to buy one with UV if for drinking water.

regards Worgeordie

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

and the membrane must be changed at 6 months

Normally RO membrane is good for at least 18 months in a filter system (not just an RO filter) and removes most dangerous minerals as well as bacteria/virus.  

Edited by lopburi3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Normally RO membrane is good for at least 18 months in a filter system (not just an RO filter) and removes most dangerous minerals as well as bacteria/virus.  

That would depend how many minerals,contaminants  are in his well water,how

much water he is passing through it,and a UV is just an extra safety

measure if he is using the water for drinking.

regards Worgeordie 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Little bit of advice,if you are using well water,make sure

you have plenty of pre-filters,as your RO membrane could clog

quickly,and the membrane must be changed at 6 months

intervals,depending of course how much water you are 

using,and it may be best to buy one with UV if for drinking water.

regards Worgeordie

 

Thanks to both of you for quick replies and advice. I'll probably buy from Lazada/Home Pro/Thaiwatsadu, after checking comparable prices.. The problem with Lazada is the English language specs are limited (I can't read Thai). I like the idea of a unit with UV. Has anyone bought such a unit? Tia.

Link to post
Share on other sites

First you should check the water quality prior to filter selection - the water quality will dictate what filter arrangement is best suited? 

 

You also need to remember that RO also removes a essential minerals required for your body from the water, for me - RO is not particurly suited for your sole drinking water intake. 

Edited by Artisi
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Artisi said:

You also need to remember that RO also removes a essential minerals required for your body from the water

Your body obtains almost all its required minerals from what you eat.  You do not want to drink lead and such.  Must better to remove.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, paddypower said:

Thanks to both of you for quick replies and advice. I'll probably buy from Lazada/Home Pro/Thaiwatsadu, after checking comparable prices.. The problem with Lazada is the English language specs are limited (I can't read Thai). I like the idea of a unit with UV. Has anyone bought such a unit? Tia.

With Lazada, right click to find option for "Translate".  Sometimes have to change the input language to Thai but usually gives good translation.

 

You can save money on filters by just signing up for the 20 liter bottle delivery.  Here it's 10 baht per bottle after initial deposit for the bottle itself.  A cold water only delivery stand and your good to go.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bankruatsteve said:

With Lazada, right click to find option for "Translate".  Sometimes have to change the input language to Thai but usually gives good translation.

 

You can save money on filters by just signing up for the 20 liter bottle delivery.  Here it's 10 baht per bottle after initial deposit for the bottle itself.  A cold water only delivery stand and your good to go.

I am with you on this. The cheapest 3 filter sink top contraption is around 1600bt and then filters cost 100-300bt to swap over.

our village bottle services charges 15bt for the 20litres and we use 2 per month.

30bt x 12 months=360bt a year

 

Thats 6 years of filtered water brought conveniently to the door for the price of a cheapo filter system.

 

Its a no brainer

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, eyecatcher said:

our village bottle services charges 15bt for the 20litres and we use 2 per month.

Less than 1.5 liters of water per day for more than one person?  Guess you do not use for cooking (or much drinking).  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Less than 1.5 liters of water per day for more than one person?  Guess you do not use for cooking (or much drinking).  

Cooking??....kettle we use direct from tap and boil.

Pasta spag direct from the tap and boiled.

Drinking yes maybe 2 litres a day in hot season only.

But lets say my usage is double, thatsstill a 3 yr break even.

 

However, I do appreciate that if you have a family of ducks to lookafter that water usage is higher and buying water filtersbecomes more viable

Edited by eyecatcher
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, eyecatcher said:

Cooking??....kettle we use direct from tap and boil.

Pasta spag direct from the tap and boiled.

Drinking yes maybe 2 litres a day in hot season only.

But lets say my usage is double, thatsstill a 3 yr break even.

You don't wash vegetables and fruits with water?  Agree small family with reliable delivered water can be cost effective to do so - but not so sure upcountry water always meets expectations.  As RO is the normal method these days perhaps having a TDS meter might be a good double check in such a case.  I our case have 8-10 person household so having filter very handy.

Also very much want to remove any heavy metals from food chain and RO does that - boiling does not.  

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Toosetinmyways said:

I use home filters for drinking water so as I know how long the filters have been in use. How do you know when your local water supplier last replaced his filters?

The local water suppliers use RO.  If the filters aren't changed, they won't get water out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

The local water suppliers use RO.  If the filters aren't changed, they won't get water out.

RO self flush and send the bad water down the drain but can become ineffective after extended use (as often happens in commercial RO water filtration pay stations). 

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

RO self flush and send the bad water down the drain but can become ineffective after extended use (as often happens in commercial RO water filtration pay stations). 

They get tested regularly.  Is that "Thai testing"?  I don't know but our water from the supplier has been without issue for many years.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Actually they do not but when they have been many/most have failed to provide good water quality.

Actually they do.  And most pass because they don't try to cheat.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, bankruatsteve said:

Actually they do.  And most pass because they don't try to cheat.

Most pass but vending machine testing has resulted in almost 50% unsafe nationwide rate per google reading..  Not good odds.  This is another report that can link.

https://www.pattayamail.com/thailandnews/concerns-raised-quality-drinking-water-dispensers-bangkok-210587

Edited by lopburi3
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Most pass but vending machine testing has resulted in almost 50% unsafe nationwide rate per google reading..  Not good odds.  This is another report that can link.

https://www.pattayamail.com/thailandnews/concerns-raised-quality-drinking-water-dispensers-bangkok-210587

That's not what we are talking about.  I have personally been to the local water purifier and they showed me inspection record and everything looked fine.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bankruatsteve said:

That's not what we are talking about.  I have personally been to the local water purifier and they showed me inspection record and everything looked fine.  

Looking fine and being fine are often not one and the same.  But expect commercial sellers to be less an issue than the stand alone types.  But if not a national brand would be a bit cautious.  RO filters are not cheap so expect there would be a bit of foot dragging before replacement.  

As for inspection record - by who and how often?  And what is inspected?  FYI when I first came here the largest bottled water producer tested worse than Bangkok tap water.

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Looking fine and being fine are often not one and the same.  But expect commercial sellers to be less an issue than the stand alone types.  But if not a national brand would be a bit cautious.  RO filters are not cheap so expect there would be a bit of foot dragging before replacement.  

As for inspection record - by who and how often?  And what is inspected?  FYI when I first came here the largest bottled water producer tested worse than Bangkok tap water.

Good grief.  I don't know why you doubt that Thailand is capable of producing potable water?  The inspections are, I think, monthly by the local "official".  There is no "brand" that I am aware but the bottles have a special stamp to show that the facility is regulated and tested.

 

Edit: Just checked our bottle and it has "YOLDTHIP WATER" in English.  Googled that and get YODTHIP WATER CO., LTD.  They apparently franchise under several trademarks.  

 

When I first came here in 1992, the Sukhumvit area tested better than NYC but they provided bottled water anyway.

 

Edited by bankruatsteve
Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

When I first came here in 1992, the Sukhumvit area tested better than NYC but they provided bottled water anyway.

That is Bangkok Water which is actually tested and real time monitored - totally different than upcountry water or bottlers and an exception to normal maintenance here.  And I have always advised Bangkok tap water is to international standards (although was not for several weeks recently due salinity).  In fact US Embassy stopped using bottled water in about 1979 as did not test as good as tap water.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bankruatsteve said:

Edit: Just checked our bottle and it has "YOLDTHIP WATER" in English.  Googled that and get YODTHIP WATER CO., LTD.  They apparently franchise under several trademarks.  

If your water supplier is following standard your 20L bottles will be washed, filled in a clean tidy area and the cap sealed with a label displaying the food and drug registration number.

Self service machines are another story with a standard wide open to abuse.

Edited by Fruit Trader
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Fruit Trader said:

If your water supplier is following standard your 20L bottles will be washed, filled in a clean tidy area and the cap sealed with a label displaying the food and drug registration number.

Self service machines are another story with a standard wide open to abuse.

Yup.

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

That is Bangkok Water which is actually tested and real time monitored - totally different than upcountry water or bottlers and an exception to normal maintenance here.  And I have always advised Bangkok tap water is to international standards (although was not for several weeks recently due salinity).  In fact US Embassy stopped using bottled water in about 1979 as did not test as good as tap water.  

The water might well 100% as it leaves the distribution area, but by the time it gets to you is another story, low mains pressure is one of the main problems with municiple water distribution, low mains pressure can allow contaminated ground water (including leakage from sewerage systems) into the supply, one of the main reasons that its illegal to pump directly from the mains, - this can reduce mains pressure to zero or below. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Artisi said:

The water might well 100% as it leaves the distribution area, but by the time it gets to you is another story, low mains pressure is one of the main problems with municiple water distribution, low mains pressure can allow contaminated ground water (including leakage from sewerage systems) into the supply, one of the main reasons that its illegal to pump directly from the mains, - this can reduce mains pressure to zero or below. 

As said it is monitored at every disturbing point in real time and on internet.  Bangkok water pressure is not high (no mountains to install water towers on) but it is much higher than any home pump(s) is going to draw.  It does not go negative.  In years past it was an issue in some locations but has been greatly improved.  But most people still do not drink from tap.

https://twqonline.mwa.co.th/EN/map.php?type=

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Reconsider reverse osmosis system.  No need to filter to that degree and be wasting water.  I researched it  and opted for a nice inline filter from Home Pro.  It has international certification. Cant tell you the name because I am away from home for 2 months.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, sletraveler said:

Reconsider reverse osmosis system.  No need to filter to that degree and be wasting water.  I researched it  and opted for a nice inline filter from Home Pro.  It has international certification. Cant tell you the name because I am away from home for 2 months.  

It depends on what is in the water that needs filtering.  Needs a test.  There are harmful bacteria and other chemicals that cannot be filtered except with RO.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...