BANGKOK
paddypower

drinking water purifier - recommendations?

Looking for a reverse osmosis systen for my kitchen. I have well water supply, so I'm not worried about water wastage. tks.

Currently using this under 3,000 baht unit sold on Lazada and is working fine (better than more expensive units of same type I had in the past).  No pretty lights but they are not needed.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/ro-50-gpd-00001-micron-fastpure-i271658718-s425654241.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.5.496757e1OjhcdL&search=1

Little bit of advice,if you are using well water,make sure

you have plenty of pre-filters,as your RO membrane could clog

quickly,and the membrane must be changed at 6 months

intervals,depending of course how much water you are 

using,and it may be best to buy one with UV if for drinking water.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

and the membrane must be changed at 6 months

Normally RO membrane is good for at least 18 months in a filter system (not just an RO filter) and removes most dangerous minerals as well as bacteria/virus.  

Edited by lopburi3

3 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Normally RO membrane is good for at least 18 months in a filter system (not just an RO filter) and removes most dangerous minerals as well as bacteria/virus.  

That would depend how many minerals,contaminants  are in his well water,how

much water he is passing through it,and a UV is just an extra safety

measure if he is using the water for drinking.

regards Worgeordie 

19 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Little bit of advice,if you are using well water,make sure

you have plenty of pre-filters,as your RO membrane could clog

quickly,and the membrane must be changed at 6 months

intervals,depending of course how much water you are 

using,and it may be best to buy one with UV if for drinking water.

regards Worgeordie

Thanks to both of you for quick replies and advice. I'll probably buy from Lazada/Home Pro/Thaiwatsadu, after checking comparable prices.. The problem with Lazada is the English language specs are limited (I can't read Thai). I like the idea of a unit with UV. Has anyone bought such a unit? Tia.

First you should check the water quality prior to filter selection - the water quality will dictate what filter arrangement is best suited? 

You also need to remember that RO also removes a essential minerals required for your body from the water, for me - RO is not particurly suited for your sole drinking water intake. 

Edited by Artisi

6 minutes ago, Artisi said:

You also need to remember that RO also removes a essential minerals required for your body from the water

Your body obtains almost all its required minerals from what you eat.  You do not want to drink lead and such.  Must better to remove.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, paddypower said:

Thanks to both of you for quick replies and advice. I'll probably buy from Lazada/Home Pro/Thaiwatsadu, after checking comparable prices.. The problem with Lazada is the English language specs are limited (I can't read Thai). I like the idea of a unit with UV. Has anyone bought such a unit? Tia.

With Lazada, right click to find option for "Translate".  Sometimes have to change the input language to Thai but usually gives good translation.

You can save money on filters by just signing up for the 20 liter bottle delivery.  Here it's 10 baht per bottle after initial deposit for the bottle itself.  A cold water only delivery stand and your good to go.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bankruatsteve said:

With Lazada, right click to find option for "Translate".  Sometimes have to change the input language to Thai but usually gives good translation.

You can save money on filters by just signing up for the 20 liter bottle delivery.  Here it's 10 baht per bottle after initial deposit for the bottle itself.  A cold water only delivery stand and your good to go.

I am with you on this. The cheapest 3 filter sink top contraption is around 1600bt and then filters cost 100-300bt to swap over.

our village bottle services charges 15bt for the 20litres and we use 2 per month.

30bt x 12 months=360bt a year

Thats 6 years of filtered water brought conveniently to the door for the price of a cheapo filter system.

Its a no brainer

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, eyecatcher said:

our village bottle services charges 15bt for the 20litres and we use 2 per month.

Less than 1.5 liters of water per day for more than one person?  Guess you do not use for cooking (or much drinking).  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Less than 1.5 liters of water per day for more than one person?  Guess you do not use for cooking (or much drinking).  

Cooking??....kettle we use direct from tap and boil.

Pasta spag direct from the tap and boiled.

Drinking yes maybe 2 litres a day in hot season only.

But lets say my usage is double, thatsstill a 3 yr break even.

However, I do appreciate that if you have a family of ducks to lookafter that water usage is higher and buying water filtersbecomes more viable

Edited by eyecatcher
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, eyecatcher said:

Cooking??....kettle we use direct from tap and boil.

Pasta spag direct from the tap and boiled.

Drinking yes maybe 2 litres a day in hot season only.

But lets say my usage is double, thatsstill a 3 yr break even.

You don't wash vegetables and fruits with water?  Agree small family with reliable delivered water can be cost effective to do so - but not so sure upcountry water always meets expectations.  As RO is the normal method these days perhaps having a TDS meter might be a good double check in such a case.  I our case have 8-10 person household so having filter very handy.

Also very much want to remove any heavy metals from food chain and RO does that - boiling does not.  

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Toosetinmyways said:

I use home filters for drinking water so as I know how long the filters have been in use. How do you know when your local water supplier last replaced his filters?

The local water suppliers use RO.  If the filters aren't changed, they won't get water out.