drinking water purifier - recommendations?

paddypower

7 minutes ago, sletraveler said:

Reconsider reverse osmosis system.  No need to filter to that degree and be wasting water.  I researched it  and opted for a nice inline filter from Home Pro.  It has international certification. Cant tell you the name because I am away from home for 2 months.  

How much water are we wasting?  About 50% of a few liters per day.  Understand green but we are only talking about drinking/cooking water - not 50% of household use.

As far as other filters - none compare with the effectiveness and ease of use of RO for home use - and have been using filters in some very unpleasant locations for more than 50 years.  

17 minutes ago, zappalot said:

How do you know that it is without issues? Do you Frequently send a sample to a laboratory?

I know because LOTS of people use this service for many years and nobody ever gets sick from it or complains.  As I said previously, it is regularly gov. tested and certified.  Do you frequently send a sample for testing the water you drink from a bottle or otherwise?

7 minutes ago, zappalot said:

Food contamination might need years to show health effects. I am working for an engineering related company and we know that we cannot trust certifications issued within Thailand. They're not water related certifications but if you work in this country for a while you know how things are done... And so is my trust in anything certified in Thailand, close to zero

That might be true when heavy metals are involved.  But drinking bad water otherwise will show effects within a day or even minutes.  Some certifications are indeed a joke here but when it comes to food and water, Thailand is relatively strict and conscientious.  IMO

• Haha 1

The OP specifically asked about RO filters but this is also relevant. 

I installed a Thai-made triple filter system I bought at ThaiWatsadu for 7,000฿. Pictures attached. Masuma brand. Media also available at same store. 

It has a carbon filter for sediment /chemical/odor absorption, followed by a ion resin filter for minerals/softening , followed by a ceramic filter for bacteria. 

First two filters are easily and cheaply replaced from bags of granular material. Ceramic filter can be removed and scrubbed with salt to clean it. 

It is well built of 302 stainless steel with welded connections. It is fitted with valving to facilitate regular back flushing so media life is extended.

The output of the second filter via a faucet is fine for cooking. The output spigot of the ceramic filter is used to fill 6L bottles we use for drinking. 

I am well pleased with it and like to be in control of the water I drink, no trust involved. Water quality is my responsibility. 

20200222_112522.jpg

20200222_112519.jpg

20200222_112513.jpg

20200222_112504.jpg

20200222_112458.jpg

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

I installed a Thai-made triple filter system I bought at ThaiWatsadu for 7,000฿. Pictures attached.

That is of the same type normally used here before RO became available and still occasionally found - and indeed it was a good choice with a long history.  It can be a bit of a pain to maintain however and often not filtering to acceptable standards because of that.  Water flow is also an issue as passing through ceramic is a very slow process.  It is still a favorite for those that believe we must get our minerals from drinking water.

1 hour ago, bankruatsteve said:

All good stuff.  Again, the water should be tested so you know what, if anything, needs filtering.  I wonder how many installed filters are doing absolutely nothing.  (?)  

Probably many, that's why I opted for UV to finish off the filtration, just to make sure any bugs are zapped. 

5 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

That is of the same type normally used here before RO became available and still occasionally found - and indeed it was a good choice with a long history.  It can be a bit of a pain to maintain however and often not filtering to acceptable standards because of that.  Water flow is also an issue as passing through ceramic is a very slow process.  It is still a favorite for those that believe we must get our minerals from drinking water.

Like any water filtering system the amount of maintenance required is directly proportional to the amount of water used. 

I would seriously like to have a water softener for the house because of the amount of calcium in our local water, which is untreated well water. But drinking/cooking water and other domestic water are separate subjects. 

I chose this filter style for two main reasons : I can maintain it myself and am not dependent on those ridiculously expensive filter cartridges. Carbon, resin beads, and ceramic seives are fundamental techniques with simple implementations. 

I like the ceramic filter because it is nearly indestructible and lasts for years. Yes, they require periodic cleaning. In one of the pictures you see a piece of paper taped to the resin tube. This is a note of my maintenance schedule. 

I believe the best way to get minerals is from nutritious fruits and vegetables, as well as even some unconventional sources such as orange peels and potato skins.

We evolved eating such foods and it's very probable that these foods contain other vitamins and minerals and such micronutrients that nutrition science may not even be aware of yet. Who would guess we need selenium in micrograms amounts? I also believe that vitamin supplements are generally nonsense, and ven potentially dangerous, if a good diet is maintained. 

Leave it to the soil and plants to provide what we need. Protein of course is a different thing. That requires some study and thinking to supply varied and complementary sources of amino acids. Variety in food is the key. 

Water would actually be a poor way to get minerals and also likely to provide some minerals in unhealthy amounts depending on the local groundwater supply. I have yet to form a solid stance on fluoride but generally distrust additives in water supplies. 

Anybody have experience with the testers available?  Maybe like this one from Lazada?

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/xiaomi-tds-pen-water-quality-tester-water-quality-purity-detector-pen-i634318049-s1216748524.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.13.34af19abOVlAGV&search=1

This one says "IPX6 waterproof body, not afraid of any water".  What else could I want in a tester?

5 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

Anybody have experience with the testers available?  Maybe like this one from Lazada?

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/xiaomi-tds-pen-water-quality-tester-water-quality-purity-detector-pen-i634318049-s1216748524.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.13.34af19abOVlAGV&search=1

This one says "IPX6 waterproof body, not afraid of any water".  What else could I want in a tester?

Not that model but have been using the much cheaper TDS3 for about 5 years and works great.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/digital-tds3-temp-ppm-tds-meter-tester-filter-pen-stick-water-quality-purity-i248713765-s383208405.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.2.75292badNO6DjA&search=1

15 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

I might get a tester as I'm looking at filtration.

I take it once you test your water and get the results, you can then

decide what filtration system you will need?

6 minutes ago, Will27 said:

I might get a tester as I'm looking at filtration.

I take it once you test your water and get the results, you can then

decide what filtration system you will need?

TDS is just a measure of conductivity of the water (mineral content) - it is used to evaluate hardness of water or that RO is working properly (RO should greatly cut reading) but will not tell you if water is contaminated or specific mineral contents.  

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

TDS is just a measure of conductivity of the water (mineral content) - it is used to evaluate hardness of water or that RO is working properly (RO should greatly cut reading) but will not tell you if water is contaminated or specific mineral contents.  

Thanks for that.

Can I ask you the best procedure for setting something up?

Was looking at something like this from Stiebel Eltron.

PWB000155077.jpg

26 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Correct, as useful as tit's on a bull in deciding if the water is safe to drink. 

Edited by Artisi

I installed a big filter outside by the well pump and used zeolite as the filter media so the whole of the house gets filtered then I fill up the water bottles which we put in the fridge I also have an ozone machine kills anything

5 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

Is that one that puts out ozone for whatever, or do you have in-line with a water filter?

It's just a portable one can do air and water, in water I connect a pipe with an air stone is a bit more technical to connect inline via a venturi valve