Impact from coronavirus outbreak leaves Pattaya deserted

webfact

Would this not be the ideal opportunity to have a total clean up.

There are many Thais either out of work or on reduced hours in major resorts due to the lack of tourism, surely they could be further employed to conduct a clean up of streets and beaches, even the jetski companies could be enrolled to clean the garbage from the seas.

Something TAT should be thinking of, rather than another hair brained scheme that will cost millions and fail.

• Like 1

The same headline could apply to Chiang Mai as well. I don't usually go to the Thapae Gate area very much, but two visits to the dentist mid-day and at 11:00 was a sheer pleasure on my motorbike.

I didn't see one Chinese person. I did see many, if not hundreds of other foreigners in and around. (Can I say this)?

It reminded me of ten years ago and further back when Chiang Mai was a very pleasant experience.

So was my last two visits - even though it was for dentistry work!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JackGats said:

I am staying in Pattaya in a hotel with a non-Chinese customer base and I can confirm occupancy is normal for this time of the year.

Same here. I live full time in a condo in Jomtien and enjoy the busy place with all the Scandinavians and other western guests. 

4 hours ago, JustAnotherHun said:

Right. The impact is for chinese related business, not over all.

The beer bars were dead long befor the virus and the farang related restaurants, hotels and shops have business as usual. It might be a little less than before, but not that much.

The money they enjoyed was the European spenders .. It will get worse if they keep being draconian on expats and euro markets

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Enoon said:

Ditto.

It isn't "deserted", it's just not overwhelmed with hordes of........well, you know.

"Thank you for spelling hordes correctly"

"You're welcome, you've probably noticed, as I have, that many people incorrectly use "hoards" or "hoard".  I don't need to tell you that a "horde" is a large group of people, whereas a "hoard" is "a stock or store of money or valued objects".

"Yes,.....mind you, some might say that the lamented, "absent" tourists of Pattaya are both"

"Oh, that is so funny, ha....ha.....ha. Goodbye"

"Goodbye".

Edited by Enoon
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Sir-Woody said:

Would this not be the ideal opportunity to have a total clean up.

There are many Thais either out of work or on reduced hours in major resorts due to the lack of tourism, surely they could be further employed to conduct a clean up of streets and beaches, even the jetski companies could be enrolled to clean the garbage from the seas.

Something TAT should be thinking of, rather than another hair brained scheme that will cost millions and fail.

Shhhhhhh! Don't give them positive ideas.

6 hours ago, ezzra said:

It'll only do good to the over used and worn and starched out infrastructural and the environment to have a rest a bit and reconsecrate from the throngs of a millions of visitors to a place that until not long a go was a sleepy fishing village...

YES LOOKS A BIT LIKE THE los OF OLD , NOT THE MANIAC CITY THAT THE ELITE HI SO CHINESE THAI ARE USING THE PUPPET TO RUIN THAILAND with.

Industry now bailing out of LOS, the place is rapidly going down the gurgler with a maniac hiding the corona virus numbers and inviting the infected to LOS  to make it a breeding ground.

The world can not believe this enlightened child, and now- industry are hurting, the very people that build a trillion BHT train track while the country can not flush toilet paper.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, actonion said:

Yesterday my wife & i decided to book 2 or 3 nights in koh chang staying in a  beach front hotel in the village of Kai Bae where we have stayed many times before  at 2,700b per night, last visit was 2 years ago

We were informed the rate is now 3.100b per night & "no vacanices"  for the foreseeable future.   .just as well at that nightly rate..

It's the old Thai supply and demand Gotcha. 

Demand is virtually zero, so Thai businesses will supply,  but at a higher price to cover the lack of customers.

Gotcha....

(It doesn't make sense to me either)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

But there was some brighter news - the Europeans and Russians were still coming and there are always the Indians and the Thais to fall back on.

So is the glass half full, or half empty... [like most of the resorts]?

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Some had closed down completely for a month. Others had laid off staff for half a month.

my friend (manager of 4-5 star hotel & restaurant at a beach front site) just laid off around 30% of the staff and he was advised to take a "long" break

"my friend (manager of 4-5 star hotel & restaurant at a beach front site) just laid off around 30% of the staff..."

Beer Bar tourists stay in 4-5 star hotels? 

Maybe they all went to Tijuana for the donkey shows instead? ????

bwahaha.gif

Edited by SiSePuede419
  • Sad 1