Impact from coronavirus outbreak leaves Pattaya deserted

webfact

I think it's likely to have an impact on Western tourism in their summer holiday season. If you were booking now for July/August the uncertainty of the situation might make you decide to holiday closer to home. For that reason I think the effect is going to be felt throughout the year rather than just the few months the tourist authorities expect. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, robsamui said:

" . . . some had closed down completely for a month. Others had laid off staff for half a month."

• There are 1.2 thousand million people in China - 1.2 billion. Three times more than North America in a similar-size landmass.
  • There is no vaccine for the N-Cov virus.
  • It takes only a few hours for a person to become infected and the symptoms don't show for several weeks.
  • It takes at least a month to diagnose, treat and cure an infected patient.
  • That's a total of at least 6 weeks for each infected person to become cured or die.
  • Meanwhile others are infected but not showing signs of it.
  • Already China has isolated and virtually imprisoned 70 million people in their homes and cities - the same population as the whole of Thailand - and still the virus continues to spread.
  • Anyone who thinks that everything will be back to 'normal' in one month, or two months, must have an IQ similar to a shoe size.
  • Except for the government and administration of one particular nation, which has proved it self time and time again to have the collective IQ of a small Asian person's shoe size.
  • Thailand should count itself fortunate if, by the end of this year, 'things' (ie, the number of Chinese tourists) have returned back to even where they were three or four years ago: always assuming that the goalposts don't get moved drastically in the interim. 

I had to stop reading at 'anyone who thinks.....' i.e. your opinion, even though I havent heard it, is irrelevant.

On 2/19/2020 at 10:44 AM, JohnFlory said:

This is the dumbest statement:  "There was also the Indian and Thai market to help make up any shortfall."

As if Indians and Thais are going to Pattaya now, but wouldn't have if there was no "shortfall" in Chinese.

The TAT and our lovely minister for Tourism just placed an order for additional Indians and Bangkokians to replace the Chinese. They can do magic here. 

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

This is an emergency situation. It needs to be dealt with, and it needs a high degree of intelligence and competence. Not something Prayuth or Pipat possess. Someone else needs to handle this, and it needs to be handled yesterday!

The tourism industry is teetering on the edge of a tragic drop, and has already been devastated by this highly destructive administration. This drop could crush millions of families dependent on tourism. Why take a chance? Who can trust the Thai authorities, and what they say? Why trust them? What have they done to earn that trust?

You know what they say about putting all of your eggs in one basket? I have been warning of the dangers of becoming too dependent on China for years. Now, after you have made your bed, you get to sleep in it. You have alienated all tourists but Indians and Chinese. Westerners are not coming here anymore for a dozen very good reasons. You insulted us. You demeaned us. You accused us of being evil, and you accused us of being criminals. You mounted campaigns touting us as bad for the nation. You demonstrated deplorable amounts of racism and xenophobia, and fear of the outside world. Some of your officials even went as far as saying we prefer to have tourists that look more like us! And now you want us to come back? Really? How soon you forget. Sorry, but we have not forgotten what was done and said. What we have forgotten is the nation named Thailand. There are too many alternatives now, and they are not only trying harder, they actually have competent people in charge! Surprise!

I think that even when the corona situation is contained, Thailand will suffer long term consequences from this. And in some ways they deserve that. I do feel for the Thai masses, who will be harmed greatly by this. But, in some ways they asked for it, by allowing the hapless army to assume this much control over the nation. That was a historical mistake, and we are just beginning to see the hazards of allowing incompetent fools, to helm the ship. 

I had forgotten. Well I wasn't all that bothered in the first place. I dont pay any attention to politicians of any hue. 99% of people dont to be frank.

On 2/19/2020 at 12:59 PM, smedly said:

I agree, don't know where these reporters are going but I was out last night and all the hot spots that I frequent were rammed 

There may be some venues that support primarily Chinese tour groups (leading them around like lemmings) that have found themselves with no customers - well that's tough and serves them right for gouging these people with rip off prices herding them around like sheep because they don't know any better

Seems like a lot of ppl here say things are as usual in good ol' Pattaya so one has to wonder what are the motives of somebody writing stuff like this. "Impact from coronavirus outbreak leaves Pattaya deserted"

5 minutes ago, herwin1234 said:

Seems like a lot of ppl here say things are as usual in good ol' Pattaya so one has to wonder what are the motives of somebody writing stuff like this. "Impact from coronavirus outbreak leaves Pattaya deserted"

Both is true.

There ARE deserted places where business is chinese orientated. These are many.

But: The more western/russian related spots have business as usual imo. 

For sure Pattaya is extremely less crowded at the moment.

If this means deserted, I love the desert.

On 2/19/2020 at 7:49 AM, Stargrazer9889 said:

Yesterday I was in a shopping mall in Pattaya, that was pretty quiet

My favourite lunch venue in Pattaya is in Central Shopping Mall. Yesterday I offered to take my wife there for lunch. Point blank refused to go there. Why? Terrified of being shot. All of her friends are of the same opinion. However when quizzed, one of them did admit that it was a fear of ghosts. Currently, most Thai women won't visit a shopping mall. Nothing to do with a lack of tourists.

4 hours ago, kinyara said:

I think it's likely to have an impact on Western tourism in their summer holiday season. If you were booking now for July/August the uncertainty of the situation might make you decide to holiday closer to home. For that reason I think the effect is going to be felt throughout the year rather than just the few months the tourist authorities expect. 

Very few westerners have ever come here in July/August. That's why it's called the low season.

20 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

sadly, as I found out after my first trip, the idea of thai girls and bikinis and warn water beaches just doesn't happen all that much. This is not like Florida USA beaches or some other countries that have beaches and girls actually go there. Thais avoid the beaches, sun, etc. 

Young Russian Women. You can look but not touch and they are miserble feckers - some are world class supermodel quality.  But unlike wine most don't seem to age so well.  

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

This is an emergency situation. It needs to be dealt with, and it needs a high degree of intelligence and competence. Not something Prayuth or Pipat possess. Someone else needs to handle this, and it needs to be handled yesterday!

The tourism industry is teetering on the edge of a tragic drop, and has already been devastated by this highly destructive administration. This drop could crush millions of families dependent on tourism. Why take a chance? Who can trust the Thai authorities, and what they say? Why trust them? What have they done to earn that trust?

You know what they say about putting all of your eggs in one basket? I have been warning of the dangers of becoming too dependent on China for years. Now, after you have made your bed, you get to sleep in it. You have alienated all tourists but Indians and Chinese. Westerners are not coming here anymore for a dozen very good reasons. You insulted us. You demeaned us. You accused us of being evil, and you accused us of being criminals. You mounted campaigns touting us as bad for the nation. You demonstrated deplorable amounts of racism and xenophobia, and fear of the outside world. Some of your officials even went as far as saying we prefer to have tourists that look more like us! And now you want us to come back? Really? How soon you forget. Sorry, but we have not forgotten what was done and said. What we have forgotten is the nation named Thailand. There are too many alternatives now, and they are not only trying harder, they actually have competent people in charge! Surprise!

I think that even when the corona situation is contained, Thailand will suffer long term consequences from this. And in some ways they deserve that. I do feel for the Thai masses, who will be harmed greatly by this. But, in some ways they asked for it, by allowing the hapless army to assume this much control over the nation. That was a historical mistake, and we are just beginning to see the hazards of allowing incompetent fools, to helm the ship. 

That is one hell of a good speech as one who used to write some back in the day. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DannyCarlton said:

My favourite lunch venue in Pattaya is in Central Shopping Mall. Yesterday I offered to take my wife there for lunch. Point blank refused to go there. Why? Terrified of being shot. All of her friends are of the same opinion. However when quizzed, one of them did admit that it was a fear of ghosts. Currently, most Thai women won't visit a shopping mall. Nothing to do with a lack of tourists.

Not my experience... The missus is as eager as ever to go shopping! 

1 hour ago, JustAnotherHun said:

Both is true.

There ARE deserted places where business is chinese orientated. These are many.

But: The more western/russian related spots have business as usual imo. 

For sure Pattaya is extremely less crowded at the moment.

If this means deserted, I love the desert.

Exactly! People who put all their eggs in one basket are hurting.

Everybody else is doing fine. Was in Pattaya two days ago. People in bars. Every restaurant I visited was doing well.

Harbor mall was empty but it always is 55

Edited by Sametboy2019
Spelling
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Basically he was a facilitator. He needed commitment from others to rent and run the bars and gogos. I would guess that he's failed to achieve this, at least in sufficient numbers to make it viable.

It was never going to happen.  

It was just a press release to raise business confidence.   

Tourism is at a low season low and worse, but the Thai government still close all the beaches

for cleaning on Wednesdays, absolutely a stupid policy that should be scrapped today.

They also have ministers who had ranted about tourists, and then state that they will

never apologize to  farang. Yes I agree that the present government is a detriment to

the Thai people, and it will be a good day when they are replaced with a real elected

government.  I already see some small businesses closing, and think this is just the start

of a very bad year for lots of Thai people.

Geezer

On 2/20/2020 at 4:33 AM, robsamui said:

Thailand should count itself fortunate if, by the end of this year, 'things' (ie, the number of Chinese tourists) have returned back to even where they were three or four years ago:

No, it would be unfortunate if that were the case. Only the people that make money off them want so many. Everyone else doesn't want them.

Back in the 90s most were happier than after the hordes arrived, IMO.

On 2/22/2020 at 2:11 PM, Stargrazer9889 said:

Tourism is at a low season low and worse, but the Thai government still close all the beaches

for cleaning on Wednesdays, absolutely a stupid policy that should be scrapped today.

They also have ministers who had ranted about tourists, and then state that they will

never apologize to  farang. Yes I agree that the present government is a detriment to

the Thai people, and it will be a good day when they are replaced with a real elected

government.  I already see some small businesses closing, and think this is just the start

of a very bad year for lots of Thai people.

Geezer

They had a real elected government that tried to steal all the money. It's why Swampy is a complete <deleted> disaster instead of something as good as Changi.

Better off without, IMO.