NO CARPORT! Townhomes (townhouses in villages used as home) and many houses, reason why these village look like dump

hello, looking at new project of townhomes / townhouses and houses, i see that most of them are sold without carports.

Is the only reason that greedy construction companies want to save 20000 ?

A great decision, because then 99.99% Thai who have no style and no idea about what is nice will all build different carports, most of them looking like cheap $h!t.

Then no wonder why all these villages all look like dump as soon as Thai live in them.

Can you tell me if it is usual to be allowed to build anything you want on your house in villages ? No rules exist that people have to follow (for example a list of allowed carports...) ? Or a list of color allowed to repaint your house ?

So it means that we can be sure that a perfectly nice village before people live there will soon look like a dump as soon as owner use their right to build or renovate anything on their house ?

I just need your opinion and confirmation that it's impossible to expect that a new clean village will still look food over the years.

Image result for townhome pattaya

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Every house in the village where I live (bungalows rather than town houses) has a car port capable of accommodating a Ford Ranger, and yet most people just dump their cars on the street. This makes it difficult for people who actually do want to park on their property to do so as all the parked cars limit your turning circle to get into or out of your driveway. It's also a safety hazard as with cars parked on both sides of the narrow streets there's often not enough space for an ambulance to pass. If you need to get to hospital quick in the middle of the night the delay caused by trying to wake people up to move their vehicles can be the difference between life and death. I've tried explaining this to people but they all seem to think I'm mad. And yes, with all those cars parked out on the streets at all angles the place does often look like a rubbish dump.

• Like 2

If a townhouse is on a road with passing traffic then it’s more likely to be turned into a small soup restaurant, a chemist, a 20 baht shop or a mc repair shop etc etc.

In a moobahn of any size there is also the likelihood it will be turned into a mom and pop shop , a covered area for eating or even a carport !!

But of all of the above you can guarantee that no two will look the same and whether they are nice looking “ carports “ or some obscure tarpaulin thrown over some rusty poles is purely luck of the draw.

In a townhouse near me they got a company in to make a steel frame carport but then extended it up to make a room above accessible from the upper story sliding doors, instead of putting walls on it they used transparent plastic and filled it with plants,  so now they have an elevated greenhouse which at nighttime, with the lights on , is quite funny as they can be clearly seen sitting and drinking surrounded by their flowers oblivious that they are like fish in a bowl !! ????

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

instead of putting walls on it they used transparent plastic and filled it with plants,  so now they have an elevated greenhouse

In Europe they call it a wintergarden. Such things werde very popular a couple of years back.

Years back the Thai wife of an acquaintance wanted to move back to her village in Buriram and she gave her farang husband an ultimatum, Buriram townhouse or I'm gone. No kids.

Farang was wealthy and he wasn't prepared to lose her so he investigated and found a Thai style townhouse project being sold in the exact location desired by his wife.  

He suggested to his wife that they 5 plots in the middle of one row and build a townhouse on the middle plot and pay whatever extra needed for 'lost opportunity' etc., to the project owner, but also have the builder build nice looking planter boxes and cement pathways and a small stream with a small arch shaped bridge, plus a full under cover terarium like addition on one side of the main townhouse and an undercover carport at the rear of the 2 plots on the other side of the house with undercover access into the house. And with electric gates etc.

His wife loved it and she promised that she would be actively involved in maintaining the garden, the cleanliness, and in terms of encouraging the neighbors to take care of their properties.  She loved the idea because: it was the exact location she wanted and it gave her quite some status in the village. 

It all happened and all well maintained and several neighbors had approached the farang and his wife for suggestions of how to design a carport for their houses and 2 went up, both same design, 2 more in discussions, all looking good.

But within I guess one year the farang and his wife y were involved in a car accident and both killed. Her family descended on the property and instantly pulled down the front fences and it became a storage junk yard overgrown with tall grass etc. 

• Sad 1

TIT where ugly is beautiful.

Everything the OP says is true and nothing can or will be done about it. On the plus side , when you come to sell prospective buyers don't seem to care much being more interested on the inside than out. They grew up in places like this so it is normal for them . They can blank out ugliness and focus on other things.

Go to any of these villages and you can see plant lovers with a display of flowering plants. Nice plants sitting on old tyres or broken cinder blocks. They only see the pretty flowers and not what they are placed on.

The front of the house is where you pile up your discarded items like old electrical appliances and unwanted broken furniture etc.

• Like 2

On 2/19/2020 at 12:45 PM, Curt1591 said:

In our little moo baan, there as as many different style "carports", as there are homes. There is everything from orange plexiglass, to orange and white striped canvas, resembling a Puff and Pie shop. 

We also have one clown who keeps amassing "building supplies", piling them in front of his house, and hasn't built a damn thing in over a decade.

Ironically, when I questioned why, when all the money goes only to community maintenance, none on individual properties, we should pay more association fee, simply because we have a larger lot size. The reply was that, as a farang, I didn't understand "associations ..." !

????

Same here, all different carports, cheap or expensive...some use a large tree (far too large) as a roof, we have newly built houses being abandoned for a decade, empty houses, houses where they can't be bothered to park on their carport but park in front of the neighbours driveway all the time.

There's no rules, nothing. We even have new houses which the owner put under construction but stopped half way and just leave it like it is for many years....really anything is possible, don't expect any style from the Thai.

21 minutes ago, AjarnMartin said:

A typical TV inane comment...  ???? Fortunately others contributed positively to a very reasonable viewpoint and opinion.

There's nothing reasonable about it, it's not your property, not your business.

They aren't telling you either how to design your house, if you don't want to see their houses buy a plot far away and big enough not to look at other peoples junk.

This reminds me of the discussions here about condos, and people being shocked that they buy a condo and have to deal with neighbours and people hanging out at the pool...

You chose a bad location, your mistake, move on. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/20/2020 at 1:23 PM, BuyHouseBowin said:

Also wondering.

So you think that it's a great idea to let Thai do all the wrong things that they want and then live in a village that look like a dump ?

I guess that you just rent ?

What do you mean "wrong things"? If it's their property, they can do what they want. As long as they aren't making unreasonable amounts of noise or dumping toxic waste into the drain, why should I care, it doesn't affect me. And no, my wife owns our property and we're happy here.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Denim said:

TIT where ugly is beautiful.

Everything the OP says is true and nothing can or will be done about it. On the plus side , when you come to sell prospective buyers don't seem to care much being more interested on the inside than out. They grew up in places like this so it is normal for them . They can blank out ugliness and focus on other things.

Go to any of these villages and you can see plant lovers with a display of flowering plants. Nice plants sitting on old tyres or broken cinder blocks. They only see the pretty flowers and not what they are placed on.

The front of the house is where you pile up your discarded items like old electrical appliances and unwanted broken furniture etc.

That's your opinion.

I find the houses in my moo baan to look quite lovely and in fact, much nicer than some of the dumps back home.

Making a blanket statement like you did is ridiculous in the extreme. There's both beautiful and ugly architecture in Thailand just as there's beautiful and ugly back home.

AND BTW, in Australia, garbage like discarded electrical items and old furniture is dumped on the side of the road for the council to pickup a few days later. No different to Thailand in that sense.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, drbeach said:

That's your opinion.

I find the houses in my moo baan to look quite lovely and in fact, much nicer than some of the dumps back home.

Making a blanket statement like you did is ridiculous in the extreme. There's both beautiful and ugly architecture in Thailand just as there's beautiful and ugly back home.

AND BTW, in Australia, garbage like discarded electrical items and old furniture is dumped on the side of the road for the council to pickup a few days later. No different to Thailand in that sense.

Is yours a detached property or terraced ?  We are mostly discussing terraced townhouse properties here. 

as you move up the housing ladder things do get better and the situation in a village of new built detached properties is a lot different than the lower end where there is less money sloshing around.

Here are some very typical examples of what we are talking about :

bandicam 2020-02-25 16-25-17-538.jpg

bandicam 2020-02-25 16-28-23-895.jpg

bandicam 2020-02-25 16-30-21-438.jpg

I presume you don't live somewhere like the common examples shown of terraced housing in the Bangkok suburbs.

As for garbage collection , I am talking about broken household items that the owners have no intention of throwing away because they want to keep them. If they did put these larger items out for collection by the local authority they would likely remain there a long time.

And yet , some of these places when they are new look fairly reasonable but since there are no planning laws the owners can do anything they like with them providing it does not go high or over their boundry.

bandicam 2020-02-25 16-40-24-528.jpg

Edited by Denim
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/19/2020 at 2:59 AM, rech said:

Can you tell me if it is usual to be allowed to build anything you want on your house in villages ? No rules exist that people have to follow (for example a list of allowed carports...) ? Or a list of color allowed to repaint your house ?

????????????????

Thanks for that.. best laugh of the day... 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

This reminds me of the discussions here about condos, and people being shocked that they buy a condo and have to deal with neighbours and people hanging out at the pool...

Exactly... if you choose to live in these ghetto type living arrangements.. Your going to have low class neighbours.. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/25/2020 at 10:54 AM, ThomasThBKK said:

There's nothing reasonable about it, it's not your property, not your business.

They aren't telling you either how to design your house, if you don't want to see their houses buy a plot far away and big enough not to look at other peoples junk.

With smart ideas like you and your perfect style, sure that Thai will improve.

I guess that you also wear shorts, sandal shoes, and drive a pickup, right ? All so beautiful ❤️

• Confused 1

20 hours ago, Denim said:

Is yours a detached property or terraced ?  We are mostly discussing terraced townhouse properties here. 

as you move up the housing ladder things do get better and the situation in a village of new built detached properties is a lot different than the lower end where there is less money sloshing around.

Here are some very typical examples of what we are talking about :

bandicam 2020-02-25 16-25-17-538.jpg

bandicam 2020-02-25 16-28-23-895.jpg

bandicam 2020-02-25 16-30-21-438.jpg

I presume you don't live somewhere like the common examples shown of terraced housing in the Bangkok suburbs.

As for garbage collection , I am talking about broken household items that the owners have no intention of throwing away because they want to keep them. If they did put these larger items out for collection by the local authority they would likely remain there a long time.

And yet , some of these places when they are new look fairly reasonable but since there are no planning laws the owners can do anything they like with them providing it does not go high or over their boundry.

bandicam 2020-02-25 16-40-24-528.jpg

You are nice to try to explain to people who are not better than Thai what we are talking about.

Some people will never have style anyway, I see them in the streets everyday, from my Benz windshield.