Undercar anti rust coating ?

vipershot

Hey all, 

Seeking general consensus , as to whether most modern car owners here go for undercarriage anti rust coating by external vendors ? 

Not sure about the standard of most modern car manufacturers these days , esp the ones made in Thailand (eg. Honda, Toyota) .

I've had ownership of my 2019 Honda civic for less than a year now, and wondering if it would be a good decision to go for such anti rust coating by external vendors ? 

I dont think my Honda dealer threw in that value add service when I ordered the car. 

I'm pretty sure other car manufacturers in other parts of the world does some kind of electron treatment to the bodies and chassis of the car during the manufacturing process. 

But not sure about the ones made here in Thailand. 

Especially with the rainy season and floods in most part of the country during the rainy season, rust may be a big concern perhaps , especially if planning to keep the car in the long term ? 

Let me hear your thoughts on this please 

cheers

Be careful about aftermarket options. Undercoat should only be applied when the chassis is throughly cleaned and prepped(like a total stripe), otherwise do much much more harm than good. 

As long as don't scratch the underside, I wouldn't worry about rust. I have a 94 Celica & 01 Rolla, both beaten but underside are still really clean. Both rusted from inside cabin(trapped moisture, clogged sill, spilled drink and etc. ), I have to make and weld half the trunk because some lousy aftermarket sound deadening, being not applied right. 

2 minutes ago, neeray said:

I thought rust proofing would only be required where they throw salt on the roads in winter by the tonnage (Canada, northern half of USA).

Any salt that settles on a minor under body scratch will start eating. Stone chips start the process. That rubbery underseal applied when the car is new, unscratched, does the job. 

I would not bother on a vehicle that is not 100% brand new and not driven as otherwise any coating applied will trap dirt and <deleted> thats already in any nooks and crannies and may well do more harm than good.

If concerned with rust  (which aint really a thing here unless you live on the beach) I'd have the lads at the local car wash to give the undercarriage a thorough gurney once a month.

• Like 1

With the majority of cars under-sealing has become unnecessary as most are now using better quality steel and they are hot dipped galvanised when built, look around, you just don't see cars with rusty sills and the like anymore, also dependant on where you live (North, NE) the climate is so dry (Savanna) for a good part of the year, the air has so little moisture rust not possible. I lived in Pattaya for 15 years, even there - where the air is humid and salty never had any issue with rusting.

• Like 1