Kasikorn Bank: "No comment the manager is in a meeting" after customer goes to the police

webfact

Kasikorn Bank: "No comment the manager is in a meeting" after customer goes to the police

6pm.jpg

Thai caption: She never wanted a loan

Picture: Sanook

Sanook reporters who contacted a Kasikorn Bank branch in Rayong to follow up on a case of alleged theft from a female customer's account by an employee of the bank were stonewalled.

The bank said: No comment - the manager is in a meeting.

Earlier Ms Khemthong, 30, had been shocked to discover that all 14,000.89 baht had been removed from an account she had had at a branch in Klaeng for years.

But there was much worse to follow.

She received a notice from the court that she had taken out a loan from the bank in the sum of 1.5 million baht four years ago. The loan was arranged at a branch in na Jomtien in the Pattaya area of Chonburi.

She said she had never taken out such a loan.

She contacted the bank who confirmed initially that her Thai ID and signature were on the loan documents. The bank said they had emptied her account in part payment for the loan.

She stuck to her guns and was then told by a regional office that an employee of the bank had fraudulently made the loan and they had subsequently been arrested.

She said she was not given any advice as to what to do next and fearing that she would be a scapegoat for illegal activity at the bank she decided to go to the police to report the matter.

The Paknam Prasae, Rayong, police took the report and promised to follow up with Kasikorn.

Reporters contacted the branch in Klaeng where they were told no comment.

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-02-19
  • Sad 2

9 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

It seems a little odd that the bank apparently admit the loan was fraudulent, but took every satang she had legitimately in her account anyway. Good luck to her in getting it sorted out. Thai banks are not renowned for speed or openness in resolving such matters.

The money was taken out prior to loan being questioned 

But there was much worse to follow.

She received a notice from the court that she had taken out a loan from the bank

- not clear if it was repaid or not but appears it was as police report was to cover anything else that might come up.

At least that is my reading - non news news.

3 hours ago, darksidedog said:

It seems a little odd that the bank apparently admit the loan was fraudulent, but took every satang she had legitimately in her account anyway. Good luck to her in getting it sorted out. Thai banks are not renowned for speed or openness in resolving such matters.

I dont think they will like the bad publisity

Now it has been circulated in the media

• Like 2

3 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Banks in the region are not known for their security of accounts. In Cambodia there is a problem with fake US dollars in ATMs - yes, you heard me - ATMs. I consulted with a foreigner who knowns how ATMs operate (and how they are operated in the region) and he assured me that it was clearly an inside job. No one can insert fake $100 bills into the machine that others then take out.

• Sad 1

Kasikorn Bank, I believe previously known as Thai Farmers Bank. is and always has been a bunch of schiesters ! For starters why would a bank change it’s name if not to bury a bad reputation ? Half emptied my bank account due to lack of usage, totally emptied a friend,s account for the same reason. Very poor form ????

21 minutes ago, phantomfiddler said:

For starters why would a bank change it’s name if not to bury a bad reputation ?

Perhaps because business names in English were charged a high fee?  That is the reason so few used English in the past, TAX.

Only 14k???
In Feb 2012 over 14.5 M vanished from my company's banking account at SCB.

Nothing was done. The only replies I got for several years is: "You not come to Thailand, it would not have happen" and Why transfer it to SCB account, if you did not have it transferred to the SCB account it would never have happened.... Lawyers here in Thailand breaking their head on it as they do it on no cure no pay base !!! Same answers for 9 years already !!!

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

8 hours ago, Tops said:

Only 14k???

Nothing was done. The only replies I got for several years is: "You not come to Thailand, it would not have happen" and Why transfer it to SCB account, if you did not have it transferred to the SCB account it would never have happened.... Lawyers here in Thailand breaking their head on it as they do it on no cure no pay base !!! Same answers for 9 years already !!!

You didn't go to the police ? Even if you had to offer an incentive payment that would have been cheaper.

18 hours ago, Proboscis said:

Banks in the region are not known for their security of accounts. In Cambodia there is a problem with fake US dollars in ATMs - yes, you heard me - ATMs. I consulted with a foreigner who knowns how ATMs operate (and how they are operated in the region) and he assured me that it was clearly an inside job. No one can insert fake $100 bills into the machine that others then take out.

An ATM will just dispense whatever its been loaded with, if there is a counterfeit bill in circulation it could end up anywhere in the banking system, in an ATM, handed out by a bank teller, given to a business for change or payroll.  If someone is putting fake notes into the system, and pocketing the real ones, an ATM would be the worst place to do it as the ATM would have sensors looking for metal security strips, notes are inspected prior as they need to be not damaged etc.

What would a bank employee have to gain putting fake notes in an ATM.

Edited by Peterw42

17 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

Kasikorn Bank, I believe previously known as Thai Farmers Bank. is and always has been a bunch of schiesters ! For starters why would a bank change it’s name if not to bury a bad reputation ? Half emptied my bank account due to lack of usage, totally emptied a friend,s account for the same reason. Very poor form ????

Kasikorn = Farmer.

So changed from Thai farmer bank to just Farmer bank.

• Like 1

And they want us to trust them with 400,000 left in the bank year round, with no interest offered? And last month, the bank mafia in coordination with the immigration mafia, coordinated a new program that makes a retirement visa even more difficult. Now, you have to get dozens of letters from your bank, if you are using the income method. And it costs 6,200 annually from the bank, and takes a week!

Banks and insurance companies are mafia organizations, with a legitimate appearance. 

• Like 1

The banks aren't always in the wrong and people can forget.

My wife was contacted by Kasikorn Bank 6 months ago to ask her what they should do with 5 Mill Baht that had been placed in a fixed term deposit. My wife told the bank representative that she must be mistaken as she couldn't remember making the deposit.

My wife (and I) had completely forgotten about the money and the account, although I did tell my wife that I was sure we had more money in our other account but we just thought that we'd spent it when we bought our condo and furniture. It was a pleasant surprise to know we had it tucked away elsewhere.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2020 at 11:01 PM, Tops said:

Only 14k???

so why do you not take it to court and involve the media. media is your best friend here

On 2/20/2020 at 12:25 PM, Aussieroaming said:

The banks aren't always in the wrong and people can forget.

My wife was contacted by Kasikorn Bank 6 months ago to ask her what they should do with 5 Mill Baht that had been placed in a fixed term deposit. My wife told the bank representative that she must be mistaken as she couldn't remember making the deposit.

My wife (and I) had completely forgotten about the money and the account, although I did tell my wife that I was sure we had more money in our other account but we just thought that we'd spent it when we bought our condo and furniture. It was a pleasant surprise to know we had it tucked away elsewhere.

you must be rolling in money if you forget about 5mill. good on you

• Haha 2

On 2/20/2020 at 6:58 AM, zaZa9 said:

Yet more evidence that , "Just put 800,000 in the bank and forget about it !" is very bad advice.

I always get slammed when I say I don't want to keep more money than I need for monthly expenses in a Thai bank.

'Safe as any bank in the US or UK' is a common answer.

I think not.

At least I don't have to worry about them taking out a loan in my name.

• Thanks 1

I think it's a good guess that Bangkok Bank has TONS of Farang accounts.  farangs generally don't have only 14000 and farangs are quick to panic.  I would never put 800k in an account here.  i think when i retire I'll only be in Thailand a few months a year, if at all.  no need to be here all year.  February to May I can find another place.  December, January...usually too busy.  So June to November.  cold in November.  So June to October.  Yea, you only need 200k in an account, max.  

35 minutes ago, FanOfChan said:

you must be rolling in money if you forget about 5mill. good on you

more like I've got multiple book banks and a SET account and forgot that 5 M had gone into a fixed term account a couple of years previously. We did buy a condo and fixtures and furniture during the time and just thought it was consumed or used on the SET. Simple error really.