Latest requirements to renew "retirement visa"

24 minutes ago, hugocnx said:

I got in on a 90 days OA visa and got it extended by 9 month to make  my permission to stay 1 year altogether.

Same as you get in visa exempt. You obtain 90 days first.

wrong;

Visa exempt is 30 days>

you come in on a 90 day Non Imm ( B, O, O-A etc) stay, you than extend it for another year ( 12 months) .????????

ONLY way you would get a 9 month extension, is if your passport expires in 9 months as they cannot issue you an extension longer than ur passport is valid.

On February 19, 2020 at 5:22 PM, observer90210 said:

On reading all the paperwork, photocopies required for a simple renewal....and then the authorities are suprised people do not want

It's far simpler than some people make it seem. There are some people who have to label their footwear L and R to get them on the correct foot. Apparently many of those people struggle with extensions of stay.

" Then the authorities authorities are surprised ..."

You seem to be imagining something to suit your world view. Authorities surprised by imaginary events are pretty thin on the ground.

On 2/19/2020 at 3:25 PM, phuketrichard said:

Pardon me but ur the first i have ever heard of to ever get a 9 month extension

and as u didn't even know if u had an O or an O-A visa

i don't take u as a reliable source   LoL

Got a Non Imm O in Penang in November 1997. SE - 90 day. Retirement.

Entered Thailand in November 1997.

Applied for Stay Extension well before 90 day expiry. With whatever seasoned THB in a Thai bank as needed at the time.

Received Stay Permit Extension to November 1998.

So it was a 9 month extension after original 90 day permit.

One year Stay Permit Extensions ever since.

This is no fuzzy memory. I've kept all my passports over the years.

Maybe things have changed since ...

20 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

wrong;

Visa exempt is 30 days>

you come in on a 90 day Non Imm ( B, O, O-A etc) stay, you than extend it for another year ( 12 months) .????????

ONLY way you would get a 9 month extension, is if your passport expires in 9 months as they cannot issue you an extension longer than ur passport is valid.

You seem to have missed all the topics on mandatory health insurance among which is discussed by Peter Dennis how to obtain a Non-O. This can be done by exiting Thailand and re entering on visa exempt and obtaining a following 90 days Non-O. But of course ignorance is bliss and so I am wrong ????????

On 2/21/2020 at 12:00 PM, jayceenik said:

Applied for Stay Extension well before 90 day expiry. With whatever seasoned THB in a Thai bank as needed at the time.

Thats is EXACTLY what I got (in 2017) .... a 9 months extension on my 90 days O visa from Laos... but here are such wise guys to tell me I am lying - as if why the hell would I lie?! Maybe you have never heard of a 9 months extension - then so be it. FACT is... I got a 9 months extension and NOT a 12 months extension, and after those 9 months I subsequently renew for 12 month periods. NOTE: My passport was still valid for another 8 years!  So just let this issue go now! Sweet dreams darling!

10 hours ago, webcrawler00 said:

Thats is EXACTLY what I got (in 2017) .... a 9 months extension on my 90 days O visa from Laos... but here are such wise guys to tell me I am lying - as if why the hell would I lie?

I can assure you that is not what is normally done. You got cheated out of 3 months of stay.

Standard procedure it is to grant a 12 month extension of your 90 dentry from the non-o visa you had.

In 2008 when I did my first extension I got a 12 month extension of my 90 day entry.

On 2/20/2020 at 2:02 PM, Peter Denis said:

Hi Pedrogaz,

What is the IO where you applied for your 1-year extension of stay?

At CW it is not required anymore as confirmed by many posts on the Forum.

I also PM-ed you a step-by-step instruction on how to register on the IO TM30 website and file the required TM30s on-line.

Hi @Peter Denis,

I've been trying to register for the online TM30 reporting for some time, could you please PM me a copy of your guide.

Many Thanks

MTV

On 2/21/2020 at 6:00 AM, jayceenik said:

Did you apply in the first week or weeks for your 1-year extension of stay when entering Thailand on your 90-day Non Imm O - retirement Visa in Nov 1997?

When granted you would have a new 12 months permission to stay stamped in your passport from the day of application (and not 9 months added to your 90-day permission to stay).

If you did apply in Dec or Jan, and they only stamped you in till Nov 1998, a mistake was made and you were given almost 2 months short on that 1-year extension you were entitled to.

1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

Did you apply in the first week or weeks for your 1-year extension of stay when entering Thailand on your 90-day Non Imm O - retirement Visa in Nov 1997?

When granted you would have a new 12 months permission to stay stamped in your passport from the day of application (and not 9 months added to your 90-day permission to stay).

If you did apply in Dec or Jan, and they only stamped you in till Nov 1998, a mistake was made and you were given almost 2 months short on that 1-year extension you were entitled to.

Penang NonImmO 13NOV97

Enter 14NOV97 Can stay to 11FEB98

Applied for extension 7JAN98

Application under consideration must come back check 13MAR98

Extension granted on 16MAR98  Can stay to 13NOV98

One-year extensions from 13NOV98 on

Note that back in those Suan Phlu days you never got your extension stamp the same day you applied like you do now in CW.

Always had to come back at a date stamped "Under Consideration" in your passport.

Sometime twice !!

14 minutes ago, jayceenik said:

Penang NonImmO 13NOV97

Enter 14NOV97 Can stay to 11FEB98

Applied for extension 7JAN98

Application under consideration must come back check 13MAR98

Extension granted on 16MAR98  Can stay to 13NOV98

One-year extensions from 13NOV98 on

Thanks, and yes you are correct.  For your extension of stay they indeed added 9 months to the issue date of the 90-day Non Imm O you received in Penang. 

Strange, but it seems you are not the only one as also the OP claims same thing happened to him.

Would be interesting to know if this is a mistake or a special procedure, and if so if that special procedure is still being applied. 

Thanks again for making the effort to clarify by providing factual info.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, please help me in advising on changes in my Retirement Visa.

Intially had 1 year visa O-A from my home country in March2018. 

Got it renewed in March 2019 to Mar2020. Last year i had left for Australia visit and would be back to Bangkok for my renewal in Mar2020 and have to fly back to Australia for few months.

Since my initial visa was O-A so after first renewal it stays O-A , On my present Renewal do i have to get my Medical insurance  for a year as almost 5 months again i will be out of Thailand or any other way to convert my visa to 'O'.

Thanking You in advance.

DAVE

15 minutes ago, DAVE SK said:

Got it renewed in March 2019 to Mar2020. Last year i had left for Australia visit and would be back to Bangkok for my renewal in Mar2020 and have to fly back to Australia for few months.

Since my initial visa was O-A so after first renewal it stays O-A , On my present Renewal do i have to get my Medical insurance  for a year as almost 5 months again i will be out of Thailand or any other way to convert my visa to 'O'.

Thanking You in advance.

DAVE

When applying for a 1 year extension (with an initial O-A Visa), you'll need a health insurance. To "kill" your O-A you'll need to leave Thailand without a re-entry permit, and start over again with a 90 days Non-immigrant O Visa or enter on a 30 days exempt or a tourist visa and do a conversion. It's MUCH easier if you apply for a 90 days Non-immigrant O Visa in Australia and after 60 days apply for a 1 year extension at the local immigration office. 

22 hours ago, DAVE SK said:

Thanking You in advance.

DAVE

Dave, I guess you are asking wrt getting an EXTENSION this month in Thailand based on an O-A Visa permission of Stay. If you will be applying for an Extension based on Retirement, yes medical insurance is required. An Extension based on marriage to a Thai does not require insurance.

You could fly out the day your current extension/Permission to stay expires, and return a day or two later on a Visa Exempt (30 day), which can be converted to a Non-Imm-O Entry, then a 12 month Extension. 

On 3/6/2020 at 1:56 PM, Max69xl said:

When applying for a 1 year extension (with an initial O-A Visa), you'll need a health insurance. To "kill" your O-A you'll need to leave Thailand without a re-entry permit, and start over again with a 90 days Non-immigrant O Visa or enter on a 30 days exempt or a tourist visa and do a conversion. It's MUCH easier if you apply for a 90 days Non-immigrant O Visa in Australia and after 60 days apply for a 1 year extension at the local immigration office. 

Thanks for the advise, it is really worth doing it. The only problem is since i will be travelling to Australia back on tourist visa the Thai consulate in Australia do not entertain to people in tourist visa as my home country is India and at the most i can get a Visa on Arrival  when back in Bangkok which is 15 days.

Is it possible to apply on 15 days visa on Arrival since my  Statutory finance required are in Bank.

DAVE

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Dave, I guess you are asking wrt getting an EXTENSION this month in Thailand based on an O-A Visa permission of Stay. If you will be applying for an Extension based on Retirement, yes medical insurance is required. An Extension based on marriage to a Thai does not require insurance.

You could fly out the day your current extension/Permission to stay expires, and return a day or two later on a Visa Exempt (30 day), which can be converted to a Non-Imm-O Entry, then a 12 month Extension. 

Thanks for the advise, it is really worth doing it. The only problem is since i will be travelling to Australia back on tourist visa the Thai consulate in Australia do not entertain to people in tourist visa as my home country is India and at the most i can get a Visa on Arrival  when back in Bangkok which is 15 days.

Is it possible to apply on 15 days visa on Arrival since my  Statutory finance required are in Bank.

DAVE

53 minutes ago, DAVE SK said:

DAVE

Excuse me, I presumed you had an Oz passport.

No, a VOA cannot be extended except for medical reasons. A further 7 days on refusal of an extension is possible.

Long term extensions require a Non-Imm Visa/Entry.

On 3/7/2020 at 11:21 AM, DAVE SK said:

DAVE

I think 15 days is a bit short for the conversion. When entering on a 30 days visa exempt, you normally start not later than 1 week into those 30 days. Imo, you need to enter on a tourist visa. 

• 10 months later...
On 20/02/2020 at 8:39 AM, Peter Denis said:

PM-ed you a comprehensive Roadmap outlining all details/options to apply for or convert to a Non Imm O - retirement Visa.

Could you  please send me those information as  I have a nonnoa Visa and would like to  change to O eventually for extension  thank you 

Archived