Couple of questions about gold

On 2/20/2020 at 5:25 PM, Dazinoz said:

I often laugh at people who say gold is not and investment. I bought shares in Australia as an investment and the companies failed and I lots all my so called investment.

Everything I read pointed to gold doing what its doing now and I have 38 baht thai gold (bars) at an average cost of 19967baht/baht. At the time of writing I could sell that gold for 23800baht/baht which gives me a total profit of 145,654 baht.

I will stick to my gold "non investment".

It is not an investment because investments earn income. Gold, along with other precious metals, is a currency hedge. It earns no income. You have made a capital gain, and good luck to you.

The advantage of gold over shares is that even if there is a fall in value, one is unlikely to lose the lot, unless doing it via a margin loan.

If you really wanted to make a motza on precious metals, you should have bought palladium a year ago. It has doubled.

On 2/19/2020 at 11:45 AM, Farangwithaplan said:

I'm no gold expert but I have bought and sold bars and jewellery here in the past.

At 23k, it is up over most of last year's prices. This is due to uncertainty. When people get worried about world issues, they buy gold. You have Corona virus causing an already mild China economy to get even more mild as well as the greater concern this virus could end up as a pandemic. Hong Kong still a mess and it's national carrier struggling badly. More airlines will be in pain if this virus is not contained and resolved quickly.

There is still the bubbling issue of Iran wanting to puff its chest out, Syria still on the boil, African drought, A mafia don in the white house, US - China trade agreement still on the backburner, Brexit fun has not even started yet. So my bet is that you will not see the price of gold soften in the short term And if thing get virus scary we might look back and see this price as cheap.

I have Used MTS for gold bar and necklace purchases as well as Bangkok Gold. It might be wise to use a mainstream company with many branches if you intend to ever sell the jewellery. It is easier and better financially to sell back to the business you bought from.

The gold industry is highly regulated in Thailand. Use a well known business at any of their branches and you will be fine. You will get a receipt with you purchase that is your authenticity.

Take your passport with you when you intend to purchase.

ILIke AURORA , Get Member Card 100 b or so , good policies and discounts if you resell there , they are all over every city 

On 2/20/2020 at 5:36 PM, richard_smith237 said:

A neat profit... 

What if someone wanted to make a ‘significant’ investment and purchase something in the region of 10MB of gold?

Where could they keep it? What would the volume be? how would they go about it?

The Feb 26, 2020 price is about 1,684,814 baht per kilo. 10 million baht will get you about 5.93 kilos.  Each bar is 117x5x8.7mm.     

On 2/21/2020 at 2:27 PM, allanos said:

If one wants to own physical gold, but not have the problems associated with physical storage, then gold etf's are the possible answer.  

Your investment into the etf is backed by an equal amount of physical gold, held in secure storage.  Check it out online.

As you say, physical gold has been on an uptrend, and is presently making 7 year highs. However, the downside is that your gold will never be worth more than the spot price at any time.  Holding paper stocks in a decent gold mine gives you the advantage of leverage, which physical gold doesn't give you. 

Miners are somewhat undervalued at the moment, but they will gain traction soon, I feel.  An investment there will probably deliver 2X or 3X over the next 18 months.

If you have shares in the etf GLD then the custodian is HSBC which is currently having serious financial problems to put it mildly.  If you want to own gold buy bullion, preferably 999.9% and keep it in your possession.  If you want to speculate in gold buy some of the mining stocks which are underpriced right now, however, most are worthless. 

On 2/21/2020 at 6:48 PM, Dazinoz said:

You think I wanted to invest in companies to goto zero?

My biggest loss is I paid a financial advisor for investment advise and lost $aud50,000 over 10 years in his advise.

Mr. Buffet, at one of his annual events said that he was astounded to learn of the many CEOs who bought & sold, merged & acquired companies had a "financial advisor" plan their retirement.  Their future in the hands of some $20/hr "financial advisors" (probably $15/hr in Oz).

Capture.thumb.PNG.fc5f3f72f3b8a360bf8717f5c7a29b01.PNG