Hotel on Ko Chang

Thujone

First post from a long-time lurker here.

I'll kick things of with a question for the Thai Visa experts.

I've got in mind a trip to Ko Chang and have had White Sands Beach and Chai Chet Beach recommended to me.

But I haven't had any recommendations as to where to stay.

I'm looking for a basic clean secure hotel preferably with a safe in the room. (To put my mind at rest at least).

I'm not bothered about pool, breakfast or stunning sea views, but would like to be a shortish walk from the beach.

Any recommendations?

• Like 1

On 2/21/2020 at 5:40 PM, UbonThani said:

Look at Khlong Prao hotels on booking.com

White Sands is a built out ghetto.

Khlong Prao looks interesting, but I think I'll stick to White Sands first.

Can always move around, of course.

Thanks anyway.

^We normally stay at the "Kacha Resort" at the South end of White Sands. A bungalow on the beach there is superb. They have safes in the rooms. I imagine you will get some great walk-in deals right now, with all the virus pandemic hubris at the moment.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, huangnon said:

Due to the coronavirus pandemic, I would imagine Samet / Ko Chang to be deserted right now..? Anyone got any info?

I was in Ban Phe today, not one tour bus, before the corona hit they would be packed in like sardines, good time to go

• Like 1

Maybe I'm being over-cautious, but I think I'll postpone this trip while Covid-19 is at the forefront of the news.

I'd already cancelled a trip to Vietnam, which is why a smaller-scale visit to Koh Chang was considered.

Staying home seems like a safer option all round at the moment.

But later in the year, both plans will be dusted off.

• 8 months later...

The Better Late Than Never trip to Koh Chang has happened, and very pleasant it was.

Some lovely twisty, hilly, foresty roads to go exploring on, with very nice views of the coast to be seen periodically.

I stayed at the Kacha Resort, (thanks to huangnon for the recommendation), and had a very nice semi-sea view room. Clean and comfortable. The staff were always ready with a smile and a wadi-ka when I passed, which added to the good time.

I had a couple of nice meals and a good pizza at the Mac Restaurant just down the road. I took another pizza back to my room to munch on the balcony, watching the sunset.

A nice break.

Easy to get to.

I'll do it again in the spring, lockdown willing.

• Like 1

Glad that you had a good trip Thujone.

I live in Khon Kaen with my Thai gf and we are going to have a very similar holiday on Koh Chang.  I had already noted to stay at Kacha Resort at White Sands Beach for the first night.

I am now looking online for some Scooter rental shops. I will probably rent a Honda Click as the larger cabin bag fits nicely between my legs when riding a Click.

I find it a bit strange that there not any Bike Rental shops close to the Kacha Resort on Google Maps or a search on the internet.

I would like to check before going to not waste time. I would definitely not leave my passport or driving licence but am happy they take a copy and happy to leave a deposit. I would also want reasonable helmets.

Hopefully someone can help

Thanks 

Keith