Waiting in the office with no classes

clarky cat

Why is this done?

Told to wait until 4-5pm with nothing to do, whilst Thai teachers go home early, yet they make a fuss if their spy informs them you've left early

What's the logic behind this? especially end of term when students have already finished and there is no work to do.

11 minutes ago, Swimfan said:

I think it’s called racism 

I think it's called "Us against them" which may,or may not be, racism.

Either way I would never be employed by a Thai as their top down approach generally is..

"If I look down I see smiling heads and If I look up I see only rectums.."

Which is about the only thing you really need to know about Thai culture.

Edited by Odysseus123
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

If you're desperate for the job you obey, if you're not you go home, and let them do what they want.

I've never been a good employee, never wanted the job that much.

I've had IT-jobs where all the talented guys had to sit in a library , their suitcases on the desks and their head in the open suitcase while they all were asleep. We had to wait there untill the IT-company could place us (we were consultants) at a customer, for months in row.

When i asked if i could go home because i didn't want to spend my days like that and would rather study at home they sacked me. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What might be part of the picture is a previous of a farang(s) who proved unreliable, had poor attendance / time keeping and therefore mpoloyer has concerns about all farang on these points. 

I'm guessing other employers have had bad experiences like this, I certainly did. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, scorecard said:

What might be part of the picture is a previous of a farang(s) who proved unreliable, had poor attendance / time keeping and therefore mpoloyer has concerns about all farang on these points. 

I'm guessing other employers have had bad experiences like this, I certainly did. 

Strange stuff...

22 minutes ago, thequietman said:

On Saturday, go to the local computer repair store. Buy the shell of a laptop ( has keyboard & screed, but nothing works) for a few hundred baht.

Also take a jacket to school. Put jacket on back of chair, open laptop on desk and add some books and paper. Go home.

All they want to see is something that indicates that you might be still there, but out of the office briefly. It works. ????

When you come in the next day, remove laptop and then replace again when you are ready to go home. ????

hence the scrutiny..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, BritManToo said:

If you're desperate for the job you obey, if you're not you go home, and let them do what they want.

I've never been a good employee, never wanted the job that much.

This is just a horrible attitude for a teacher. It's obviously just A JOB. Pity the students, I really do.

Or do the right thing and find a new job because you're unhappy with the requirements. But if you've never had a job with responsibilities and understand the person that pays you sets the rules then just be threatening and leave.

Next post will be: my employer fired me after three years of great service (lol), how can I sue?

8 hours ago, thequietman said:

Not being lazy, just using my time more constructively elsewhere.

If they want you to sit at a desk "just because" and give you nothing to do, then alternate arrangements need to be made, that keep the plebs and you, happy.

It's called initiative. ????

It's entirety obvious you care nothing about teaching, your students or the school.

Yes, but you're drawing a salary. You don't have the right to be elsewhere. Thai teachers just leave mid day or early?

The plebs? You're the pleb. They are paying you some paltry salary. You accept the wage knowing it's what you're worth. What a narcissist. If you're in school as little as possible and out using your time *more constructively* how are you becoming better at what you do? Answer: you're not.

I suspect with that attitude you've not done much of anything constructive in your life. You don't seem to know the difference between salaried and hourly employee responsibilities. Hunch is you've never been a salaried employee until now

It's almost trollish but I know you seriously don't care.

Edited by Number 6
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Scott said:

My work was primarily in the administrative area and I supervised a large number of teachers at several schools.   Years ago, the director of the school was easy to work with and she had the authority to release the teachers at the end of the year when I recommended it.   I simply told them that if all paperwork --lesson plans, evaluations, tests and grades were submitted -- they were done for the year.   That had to be from all teachers.   My life was much easier if they worked hard, got everything done and were gone.   No one bothered me as I got report cards ready and finished up other necessary work.

Then the owner of the schools got involved and started deciding when foreign & Thai teachers would be released.   Foreign teachers get a better deal and a released about a week before Thai teachers, but they are still left with virtually nothing to do for about a week.   A few just drag out finishing the grading, which makes my life more difficult.  

It's a management type of thing and they are paying, so they have the right to keep teachers on the premise.  Some have a store of movies they watch, a few have a book to read, and others just sit around talking.   It's demoralizing, but that's the way it goes.  

I agree. While I am at the university level where this issue is, as far as I know, isn’t very prevalent, I have seen it first hand at several larger government schools, including a Satit that I am familiar with.

i think some of it is repercussions due to a minority of former teachers who, essentially abused the free-in, free-out policy that was previously in place... so now everyone pays the price for it, by a strict set in and out time.  

But I do agree with Scott in that the management style is a big, if not the biggest part... while I’m at the university level, we have had cases of foreign instructors (all on contracts) who’ve left early (meaning didn’t fulfill their required/posted office hour days/times)..  but.. in those cases, the issue was dealt with by one of the Associate Deans, and only with the offending teachers... they were given warnings and anyone who continued to do so either was put into the discipline process or made to “sign in/out” at the main office daily... everyone else who was doing right, was left alone...  so rather than a one-size-fits-all solution, it was only imposed on those who didn’t comply.. 

so, I agree that management style plays a big role in how issues are dealt with. I think a good management style knows when uniformity is the best course of action and when individualized actions are more appropriate.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, fruitman said:

So you think it's good to let the most talented newly graduated IT-professionals do nothing all day long ? 

Well this professional could go online and learn something more about his   speaciality....... Be productive.  Show that work is work

• Like 1