BANGKOK
clarky cat

Waiting in the office with no classes

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, OumarhindaOunsingha said:

If you google it, you will easily find evidence that up to 90% of employees prefer not to remain in ttheir current job.

I totally understand and agree. In fact I have known many such teachers. Yet, what sort of malcontent travels half way around the world to hate their job? Thats a seriously lost person that does not belong in teaching. Oh that's right, the person who couldn't get a job in their own country. I don't mean a bad job, no job. As to your second bit of genius regardless of party, I guess you've never asked for a substantial raise or benefits because the answer to that is always pack your bags even for the best teachers. In fact, for the last 25 years one has needed to get their money on the way in. Once there, at best you're looking at COL. I'd absolutely love to know rules that you've set between the school and yourself that only you enjoy. I have no problem finding work. If something doesn't suit me, I leave. What I don't do is put a laptop on my desk and leave campus, leave at noon or asap. Do the absolute minimum. Cheat my students out if an education.

If you're worth more then go get it. Plenty of 50-65k+++ jobs out there.

Edited by Number 6

you're paid 3-6x what the Thai teachers are and thy want their money's worth. also, they may have a question or a visitor that requires a white face. look at your contract, most say 7:30-4:30.

If they have to close down some schools because of this virus would them all the farang teachers still get paid or not?

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

If they have to close down some schools because of this virus would them all the farang teachers still get paid or not?

One never knows for sure, but I would guess it depends on how long the shutdown is for and whether or not it was mandatory.   In my experience, if the gov't closes schools -- such as during the floods -- the teachers continued to be paid.  

I know of one school that will be closing at the end of the term and will not have their usual summer session and a number of camps.   The teachers will be paid, per their contract.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Scott said:

One never knows for sure, but I would guess it depends on how long the shutdown is for and whether or not it was mandatory.   In my experience, if the gov't closes schools -- such as during the floods -- the teachers continued to be paid.  

I know of one school that will be closing at the end of the term and will not have their usual summer session and a number of camps.   The teachers will be paid, per their contract.  

Could be a bit of a dilemma for the teachers should the worst happen only the other week they where crying out for more English teachers now there could be a mass exodus lets hope it dont get to that stage

• Like 1

Good schools with a reputation to protect will pay. Bad schools that hire backpackers and the like will not. If you have a signed contract in your possession and there is no clause in concerning natural disasters and the like then you should get paid. (those were added at a lot of schools after 2011)