Do I need work permit for teaching privately ?

Khun Tae

On 2/24/2020 at 11:20 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

You can paint the family house, but IMO you can't work in a workplace without a permit.

If doing work on private residences was banned, we wouldn't be allowed to buy work tools.

I did everything on our house myself, but I would not have done anything for other people, as even if I wasn't being paid, I couldn't prove that.

An English guy who owned a restaurant told me he couldn't make his breakfast in his own kitchen as he didn't have a work permit. The authorities were out to get him too. In the end he gave up and went back to the UK.

I heard a guy got stung for 50k for going behind the wife's bar for a cup of coffee.  Look how much fuss was raised about the German grilling chicken...he would have been in trouble even without the warrants.  I owned a house in my lawyers name, and painted the detached carport..because it was dirty and I was bored..looked great, but raised too many eyebrows.  The Thais are often great folks, but snitching is quite common.  Quite a few might not be snitches, until a foreigner is involved..add a reward to the equation and all bets are off.  I heard at least one immigration office ignores the snitch reports because there are just too many...unless a warrant is involved..which would be a nice photo op.

In some cases, it can be overlooked by immigration, but not Labour..and vice versa.  

Edited by moontang

The fact remains that if you are doing any work, paid or unpaid, you're required to have the appropriate visa and permit to do so.

That said, and as is often the case, situations can and do vary a lot in this country. What matters most is the person stood in front of you, probably wearing a uniform, and what and how he or she interprets your actions and whether or not you have the correct supporting documents.

It is your responsibility to follow the law, and your responsibility to ensure you have the correct paperwork for your actions.

Ultimately it is YOU and only YOU who will pay the price for not having it, so its your decision to proceed or not.

Do not rely on he said she said hearsay, get the correct guidance from the labor office, immigration, or legal professional in your area and make a correctly informed decision.

• Like 1