Lenovo Legion Y7000 / Y540 and heat

rambling

• 3 weeks later...

Gaming laptops like Lenovo Legion Y530 is not a good decision for warm countries. This model heats up at standard settings up to 95 degrees (which means a lifetime of your laptop will about 1 year or even less).

Nevertheless, if you are still thinking about buying a Lenovo (I agree, it can be worth its price), there might be some cooling solutions like turning off a Turbo Boost function (or reduce it from 4K to 3.1K, for example) and changing settings in BIOS.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Lenovo Y520. Its fine in Thailand's heat but well, I have fans and the air condition on all the time though.

I wouldn't go so far as to say such laptops are 'not a good decision for warm countries.'

I have had no problems with mine. As far as the noise level this Y520 is very quiet and fast.

Thanks for the replies. Just a quick update, I ended getting the Y7000 a couple of weeks ago and so far so good. In normal operation the fans are very silent and the machine has no noticeable heat. Only when under heavy CPU load (encoding and such) do the fans kick in and are working hard but effectively to expel heat. Overall I think this model has good thermals, no issues so far.

i think the y530 in general has good heat management. i used to own a 2017 model HP omen with a 7700HQ and 1050ti the laptop was complete garbage. it ran hot AF, fans made a lot of noise and it had coil whine amongst other problems. i sold it a couple of weeks after and used a thinkpad for a few months. then i saw a great deal on the legion y530 with a 8300H and a gtx 1050 4GB ( i have a 8600k and 1070 rig at home to game on) so i figured this notebook would be great for some wow and diablo 3 on the go. the difference between this one and the omen is amazing. temps are good without undervolting and it only produces half the noise as the omen did on the same load. the fans rarely turbo to their max. it's a great notebook imo, and it looks great as well.