Help on the way for GM workers losing jobs

webfact

43 minutes ago, beavenlen said:

maybe a little of topic , but do thais get unemployment benefit. my wife says no.

If they worked and paid social then yes, can get payments. Not too sure for how long and what amount , but I believe about 5000 per month 

16 hours ago, canopus1969 said:

Great Wall Motors has committed to taking over the facilities but has no plans to hire the GM employees

Don't understnd, they are buying the car plants but nobody to work in them so they are not going to produce any vehicles ?

They will bring in their own workers

A post with a link to Bangkok Post has been removed:

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

18 hours ago, webfact said:

The ministry has ascertained with organisations in the Eastern Economic Corridor that there are already 15,132 jobs available in the automotive field.

Of no help what-so-ever if it's not in your location!

18 hours ago, keith101 said:

More of Trumps America only to bring manufacturing back to the US , I hope Thailand will jam on the import tax to any GM/Chev vehicles ordered after the closures .

Be it Tump's politics or not, I really wonder what is going on in your mindset. Thailand is treating us and most likely foreign companies like total refuse and you are on their side? Really? I got screwed at immigration last visa renewal and this did nothing to make me like the Thai mindset anymore than I did before. I hope you buy a GM and get to pay the tax you surely seem to hope the Thais will slap on the product... wait , wait... maybe the Thais will slap taxes all across the board on cars as they have been doing for years...

18 hours ago, canopus1969 said:

Great Wall Motors has committed to taking over the facilities but has no plans to hire the GM employees

Don't understnd, they are buying the car plants but nobody to work in them so they are not going to produce any vehicles ?

They most likely made a deal (brown donation) that they can bring their own people from China But hey I could be wrong  ???? 

How many here would actually buy a GM product?  Honda, Toyota and Mazda's are better made.  GM is having trouble in many places. 

Why not take the workers and build a Thai designed car?  Malaysia has its own brands and yes, so does Vietnam:

"VinFast is the only domestic passenger vehicle brand in Vietnam. In August 2018, General Motors sold its Vietnamese operations to Vinfast, granting the latter distribution rights of GM models in Vietnam, and transferring its Hanoi plant to Vinfast. Vinfast will use the plant to produce its own developed vehicles, in addition to the already planned plant in Haiphong. The CEO of Vinfast is former GM executive Jim DeLuca."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VinFast

Maybe concentrating all your money among the Thai inbred elite is not such a good idea.  Perhaps your neighbors will pass you by.  

7 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Surely Tesla will arrive with new factories in Thailand as the saver and may offer new positions for the laid off....hope something works out for them.

Subs for the Navy?

image.jpeg.c6a52d49953a7108a9689e96d73e44aa.jpeg

Edited by lopburi3

On 2/19/2020 at 2:51 PM, webfact said:

GM and the ministry had discussed mitigation measures and agreed on staff support terms, including severance pay equal to four months’ salary.

Just think of all the lottery tickets they could buy, probably be wise to get another amulet as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, emptypockets said:

Don't be surprised when Ford also announces a similar plan to exit Thailand. Or Toyota for that matter. It's what happened in Australia for similar reasons.

Thailand is not Australia.

Thailand is still a low-cost manufacturing country and won't become a high wage economy anytime soon.

A strong Baht situation is a big hurdle at the moment by that can change on a whim.

• Thanks 1

On 2/19/2020 at 4:09 PM, Golden Triangle said:

Thailand, the hub of layoffs....................

IMO......Wait  not  long. Will be a global issue. GM  /Chevrolet  was /has  been struggling  for  years. In the demise of the  corporate strangulation  and deception of pretended competition brands and labels are  becoming  irrelevant in a saturated  market. The increasing adoption of a retraction from  globalization to protectionist  nationalistic but preferential  "free trade" ideology signals further undeniable global  recession and potential depression and then  a contrived  major war awaits the world. If it/they  can be  called  such the winners are  likely  to be  not what would currently  be assumed. The losers who would also currently expect to  be the winners will suffer most because they have already removed any recollection or perception of such a situation as part of the  golden propaganda.

55 minutes ago, unheard said:

Thailand is not Australia.

Thailand is still a low-cost manufacturing country and won't become a high wage economy anytime soon.

A strong Baht situation is a big hurdle at the moment by that can change on a whim.

Baht situation for Half a decade at least has not changed , though wages and cost of doing business has been going up year by year 

11 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

IMO......Wait  not  long. Will be a global issue. GM  /Chevrolet  was /has  been struggling  for  years. In the demise of the  corporate strangulation  and deception of pretended competition brands and labels are  becoming  irrelevant in a saturated  market. The increasing adoption of a retraction from  globalization to protectionist  nationalistic but preferential  "free trade" ideology signals further undeniable global  recession and potential depression and then  a contrived  major war awaits the world. If it/they  can be  called  such the winners are  likely  to be  not what would currently  be assumed. The losers who would also currently expect to  be the winners will suffer most because they have already removed any recollection or perception of such a situation as part of the  golden propaganda.

Good God, you are such a cheerful soul, I truly hope no one stands in the way of you having a fantastic Friday,  ????

On 2/19/2020 at 3:55 PM, canopus1969 said:

They are probably going to hire Chinese 

2 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Interesting commentary and prediction. Major war eh? I don't altogether doubt that, it seems to be the way the world is moving, and would certainly fit the trends which are visible. I agree that a major shake-up is on the cards, and will likely see major conflict with the USA continuing it's long-established losing streak (but continuing to pretend it's a winning streak) - but this time in a much more significant way. Iran maybe, the USA appears intent on picking a fight with and under-estimating Iran and is well-overdue a humiliating tumble. Smaller satellite countries like Thailand will suffer greatly as they scramble to be BFF's with the countries that will prevail, and only succeed in being hangers-on while pretending to be major winners. It's difficult to reead - the time of the conspiracy theorist has arrived perhaps.

The Chinese curse still holds true - may you always live in interesting times...

16 minutes ago, Redline said:

They are probably going to hire Chinese 

That will be interesting with the 4:1 rule for getting WP's.  Of course, there's no Foreign Corrupt Practices Act in Chinese law.  My guess is they'll smooth it all out with some red brown envelopes.

• Like 1