UK's proposed points based Immigration Policy Statement

The UK Government have published a policy statement outlining their plans for a points based immigration system,he rules for family reunion, asylum and border crossing checks are outside of the points-based system. However, they will remain integral to the transformation of the UK’s new immigration system programme and we've yet to see if there will be any changes made.

The UK's points based immigration system Policy Statement

I am glad that you open a topic on this @theoldgit, you beat me to it I was going to do the same. I have read this document extensively and it appears that EU citizens and other non-visa nationals will not require a visa to enter the UK when visiting the UK for up to six months. If this is the case it will be a revelution for anyone living in Thailand wishing for their wife or girlfriend to visit the UK. 

I live in Thailand with my wife and we return together to the UK every year from early May until early October, under 6 months. My wife this year will be on the last year of her current 5 year visa. Next year we were going to apply for a 10 year visit visa. Now if what I think they are saying in the document is true, it will be fantastic news not only for me but for other members of the TV forum.

Please feel free to correct me if you think I have read it wrong.

1 hour ago, theoldgit said:

But Thais are visa nationals.

I know that. But who is to say they are not going to revise that. It clearly states that EU and non EU will be treated the same. That suggests that there will be no distinction between nationalities in future. As I said I may be totally wrong and probably am.

56 minutes ago, jimn said:

I know that. But who is to say they are not going to revise that. It clearly states that EU and non EU will be treated the same. That suggests that there will be no distinction between nationalities in future. As I said I may be totally wrong and probably am.

The UK may well revise the family immigration system. However your intepretation is not what the policy states

It says that EU will be treated the same as other non visa nationals. 

This is simply declaring that EU nationals are not visa nationals  for immigration  purposes 

18 hours ago, jimn said:

Unfortunately that's not how I read it either. I would be absolutely astonished if they start granting visa-free travel to Thais. This UK government are all about making immigration more difficult. And I can't seem them cutting off that income stream for them and their cronies.

5 hours ago, baansgr said:

No change for Thai spouses/GF, unless applying to study or work in UK which will then be points related

How can you be sure of this? Although those sort of settlement visas are not specifically mentioned in the policy paper, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they tighten the rules. This issue is crucial to me, as I was thinking of buying a house to move back to in the summer, but now I think it would be prudent to wait until 2021 to make sure.

Having read the document out of interest I found towards the end the statement that holders of Biometric Passports from Australia, NZ, USA, Canada etc can continue to use the E- gates

I presume they are referring to the gates used by holders of UK and EU passports.

I have visited the UK a few times in recent years usually entering through Manchester and have joined the non EU passport line which on the last occasion took almost two hours.

Can anyone with the above passports confirm if my understanding is correct and that I can join the line with UK EU passport holders.

2 hours ago, thaitanic said:

Unfortunately that's not how I read it either. I would be absolutely astonished if they start granting visa-free travel to Thais. This UK government are all about making immigration more difficult. And I can't seem them cutting off that income stream for them and their cronies.

How can you be sure of this? Although those sort of settlement visas are not specifically mentioned in the policy paper, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they tighten the rules. This issue is crucial to me, as I was thinking of buying a house to move back to in the summer, but now I think it would be prudent to wait until 2021 to make sure.

Read properly...no change for spouse visas...points based for students and workers, EU or Non EU treated the same..

4 hours ago, StevieAus said:

Having read the document out of interest I found towards the end the statement that holders of Biometric Passports from Australia, NZ, USA, Canada etc can continue to use the E- gates

I presume they are referring to the gates used by holders of UK and EU passports.

I have visited the UK a few times in recent years usually entering through Manchester and have joined the non EU passport line which on the last occasion took almost two hours.

Can anyone with the above passports confirm if my understanding is correct and that I can join the line with UK EU passport holders.

Yes.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coming-to-the-uk/faster-travel-through-the-uk-border

5 hours ago, baansgr said:

Read properly...no change for spouse visas...points based for students and workers, EU or Non EU treated the same..

Read what properly? I read the document linked in the first post. There is no mention of "spouse" or "partner". So I'm interested how you know that there will be no change for spouse/GF visas.

11 hours ago, treetops said:

Many thanks for your reply somehow I must have missed this advice.

On the last occasion there was one Immigration Officer dealing with Non EU passports as we all hold Aus passports it could have saved time and not have to listen to a group of foul mouth guys from the Indian Sub Continent.

On 2/20/2020 at 9:36 AM, baansgr said:

No change for Thai spouses/GF, unless applying to study or work in UK which will then be points related

I await the first case of a THai national with a Ph D in English, when asked by the IO to speak a few words, replies with "good morning teacher". I fear the new points based system will need some future tweaking.

Archived