Turkey: "Thailand Elite" style permanent residence at visa run prices

(and health insurance at 1/20th the rates for the mandatory Thai policies...)

Folks may have no particular interest in Turkey, but just for comparison purposes:

Developed country citizens get a visa free/e-visa 90 day stay (per 180 days):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_policy_of_Turkey

(Thais get 30, btw)

To stay longer, turning up local immigration office with proof of ownership of property / a rental contract and proof of sufficient funds* is enough to get a 1 or 2 year residence permit. Holders of a 1 or 2 year residence permit can apply for a 5 year permit when they renew it:

https://www.propertyturkey.com/buyer-guide/residency-permits-in-turkey

There don't appear to be any rules about staying in or out of Turkey to maintain residence, I believe there's also a path to naturalization (dual citizenship allowed, but tax on worldwide income) and the mandatory health insurance costs ytl360-1000 = $60-165 per year for people aged 50-65. (and it looks like it's not required for >65 year olds!)

https://www.turkeycentral.com/guides/residence-permits/fees/

*'sufficient funds' is quite hazily defined, but appears lower than the Thai retirement visa requirement (eg ~$12k for a year, vs ~$26k):

"A bank statement confirming the existance of an amount of USD 1000 for each month. (...This amount may vary from city to city)"

https://www.expatguideturkey.com/residence-permits/

Turkey's a very different country, but in terms of ease of getting permanent residence, in comparison to Thailand I was surprised to discover this "Elite card service at visa run prices" (particularly with the Lira weakness of recent years).

Between 1998 and 2008 the European Court of Human Rights made more than 1,600 judgments against Turkey for human rights violations, particularly regarding the right to life, and freedom from torture. Other issues, such as Kurdish rights, women's rights, LGBT rights, and press freedom, have also attracted controversy. Turkey's human rights record continues to be a significant obstacle to future membership of the EU.

Religion in Turkey

Sunni Islam (80.83%) & Shia Islam

I think I will pass. ????

5 minutes ago, thequietman said:

Your prerogative, as I said "Turkey's a very different country, but in terms of ease of getting permanent residence"...

(And have you checked the human rights records of some other countries, including Buddhist ones?)

36 minutes ago, thequietman said:

Between 1998 and 2008 the European Court of Human Rights made more than 1,600 judgments against Turkey for human rights violations, particularly regarding the right to life, and freedom from torture. Other issues, such as Kurdish rights, women's rights, LGBT rights, and press freedom, have also attracted controversy. Turkey's human rights record continues to be a significant obstacle to future membership of the EU.

Religion in Turkey

Sunni Islam (80.83%) & Shia Islam

I like all the Turkish folks I have ever dealt with and I love Turkish food and customs.

Ill pass too though. Cambodia is fine.

Merhabah ! (hello) - I visited Turkey five times before 1991 and absolutely loved it. I was a single dad with a 12 y.o. son and was welcomed everywhere we went. The people were completely and utterly honest and very hard working. Although it was incredibly hard to meet ladies, I eventually fell heavily for a Turkish lass about ten years younger - there are some absolutely stunning women in Turkey and, she was one of them. Long distance relationships never work out, but I seriously considered quitting my job and moving there. That being said, since the current leader came to power it appears he has embarked on a more fundamentalist muslim path and has endeavoured to take the country backwards, removing the secular freedoms that made me fall in love with the place thirty years ago. Mustafa Kemal (Attaturk) would not agree with this change in direction, if he were alive now. Perhaps now though Turkey has mellowed a bit more and, foreigners are being welcomed, along with their $. Certainly, thousands of Turks have lived and worked in Germany and many foreigners own real estate in Turkey. I will return one day, if only for a holiday - it is still the nicest place I ever visited. Great beer (Efes Pilsen) and great food. No serious air pollution whatsoever. Thirty years ago it was less than half the price of Thailand - I hope it has not changed too much !     

3 minutes ago, Aussiepeter said:

Merhabah ! (hello) - I visited Turkey five times before 1991 and absolutely loved it. I was a single dad with a 12 y.o. son and was welcomed everywhere we went. The people were completely and utterly honest and very hard working. Although it was incredibly hard to meet ladies, I eventually fell heavily for a Turkish lass about ten years younger - there are some absolutely stunning women in Turkey and, she was one of them. Long distance relationships never work out, but I seriously considered quitting my job and moving there. That being said, since the current leader came to power it appears he has embarked on a more fundamentalist muslim path and has endeavoured to take the country backwards, removing the secular freedoms that made me fall in love with the place thirty years ago. Mustafa Kemal (Attaturk) would not agree with this change in direction, if he were alive now. Perhaps now though Turkey has mellowed a bit more and, foreigners are being welcomed, along with their $. Certainly, thousands of Turks have lived and worked in Germany and many foreigners own real estate in Turkey. I will return one day, if only for a holiday - it is still the nicest place I ever visited. Great beer (Efes Pilsen) and great food. No serious air pollution whatsoever. Thirty years ago it was less than half the price of Thailand - I hope it has not changed too much !     

Women still have moustaches, that's not changed  

????

Its certainly a place to consider, We stayed for 3 months in Northern Cypress the Turkish side with my wife (Thai) we rented a 2 bedroom house near the beach everybody made us welcome eating out was as cheap as chips some nice bottles of wine less than half of Thailand and great Donner kebabs I dont think I could live there full time as it does cool down at night time in their winter maybe Kuşadası a lot more going on

I take your point roo860, but mine didn't ! Now in her fifties, she is still slim model material even after having two kids and there are literally pages of her on the net. An interesting fact I did discover whilst there though, was that most (if not all) the ladies there shave a certain part of their anatomy daily and, it was not their moustache ! G'day !

11 minutes ago, Aussiepeter said:

I take your point roo860, but mine didn't ! Now in her fifties, she is still slim model material even after having two kids and there are literally pages of her on the net. An interesting fact I did discover whilst there though, was that most (if not all) the ladies there shave a certain part of their anatomy daily and, it was not their moustache ! G'day !

Just found her Facebook profile, simply lovely!++

images (1).jpeg

4 hours ago, onebir said:

Developed country citizens get a visa free/e-visa 90 day stay (per 180 days):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_policy_of_Turkey

(Thais get 30, btw)

Thanks for the link. Interesting that Thais can get 30 days visa free, yet U.K. and U.S.A. citizens have to get a visa in advance. I will maybe look at taking my gf there for a holiday. Hopefully the Turks wont end up going to war with Syria. Erdogan making lots of threatening noises right now.

Also visited a few years ago. Polite and warm people all over, honest taxi drivers...yes did not try any hanky panky as in Thailand....great food...marvelous girls...the bar scene is not that openly scattered all over as in Thailand, but definately some night life spots in Istambul in the Beyoglu area are sheer world class and one feels totally free to go playing around. ????

But just stay from discussing anything political....in fact talk nothing political at all....in your own interest ????

27 minutes ago, onebir said:
1 hour ago, potless said:

Thanks for the link. Interesting that Thais can get 30 days visa free, yet U.K. and U.S.A. citizens have to get a visa in advance.

That's a little misleading, some countries can get e-visas on arrival:

https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/info/i-do-not-want-to-apply-for-an-e-visa-can-i-get-a-visa-on-arrival/

Edited just now by onebir

My above post was based on what I read in the Wikipedia link. Maybe that info is not up to date but it stated that a paid for E visa is required for nationals of 20 countries including Uk and USA.  Thanks for the other link. I will have a look at it.                                                                

22 minutes ago, potless said:

My above post was based on what I read in the Wikipedia link. Maybe that info is not up to date but it stated that a paid for E visa is required for nationals of 20 countries including Uk and USA.  Thanks for the other link. I will have a look at it.                                                                

Sure - I meant the Wikipedia link was misleading ????

4 hours ago, Aussiepeter said:

20 odd years ago. Do you reckon anything has changed

13 hours ago, potless said:

Thanks for the link. Interesting that Thais can get 30 days visa free, yet U.K. and U.S.A. citizens have to get a visa in advance. I will maybe look at taking my gf there for a holiday. Hopefully the Turks wont end up going to war with Syria. Erdogan making lots of threatening noises right now.

Germans don't even need a passport, can enter with ID card only.

UK/USA...well, you get threated how you threat others, that's why.

Archived