No ‘hidden’ virus cases in Thailand, official insists

snoop1130

Interesting discussion here, as Thailand puts itself at high risk. The low number of reported cases is statistically hard to explain, which was pointed out in this scientific paper some days ago. 

https://t.co/USIMmKRAGc

The paper may not reflect the latest numbers, but its conclusions are still valid. There may be not just rumours....

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Jingthing said:

So where are the central testing centers? 

Is the testing free?

Free for foreigners?

What is the motivation as it seems not so easy to get test for people with mild flu symptoms to get tested?

I think if you walk into a hospital you will be tested. Chiang Mai Ram has closed off all side entrances.

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

1) With 1.1 million arrivals from China in January, statistically 71 infected Chinese have been walking the street in Thailand. 

2) Did they pass the bug?

Based on the cruise ship infection rate, probably yes.

I am not sure how much I agree with your assessment of (1); half of the people would have arrived would have been when the infection numbers were under ~2,000 people (including asymptotic/incubating infections), and the other half would be of a pool of about 20-30,000.  That gives me a number closer to 12.

As for your (2), yes they clearly passed the bug. To what, roughly a dozen Thais. They also likely passed the bug to another 10-12 of their travel companions. Comparing it to the ship though is disingenuous though, vastly different conditions.  

I am surprised there aren’t more confirmed cases, but I picture a factor of 2 not 20. If it is down to climate, well, it would make pretty good sense outside Bangkok. 

Example of trustworthy government reporting:

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/fighting-the-virus-with-openness-and-information

https://www.moh.gov.sg/covid-19

Thailand government could learn a thing or too but I don't think it will ever happen.. Losing face and all that on top of everything.

Edited by FinChin67
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Sopon insisted that all the details being shared were true. 

The details from Phuket health minister was that Bangkok had told them "not to share information" that's the problem.
If everything is ok then withhold what?

Look south to Singapore and see what a real government does... and how it handles things!

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Look south to Singapore and see what a real government does... and how it handles things!

After that, gaze over at Japan and see another incompetent government response.  Allowing the non-evacuated cruise ship passengers to wander around unsupervised for a couple of weeks is insane.  

I have been reading up on the COVID 19 virus and  in WUHAN and on the Cruise  ship in Japan  it seems that people can have 5 NEGATIVE tests  and then still prove positive for the virus   ,,its not a normal situation at all, there are lots of confusion even amongst  the doctor, epedemiologists  and experts about this new  virus   and its spread , diagnosis , tests and treatment .

Im due to travel to UK in 8 days  so that should be interesting  The Thais have cleared me to travel ????, but what happens when I get to Gatwick ?????? I will declare my  situation and be willing to undergo tests .

• Like 1