No ‘hidden’ virus cases in Thailand, official insists

snoop1130

3 minutes ago, phkauf said:

I call bullsh!t on their claims of tough scrutiny of people arriving from affected countries. I came back from one of these countries (not China) on Tuesday and there was NO, ZERO, NADA additional screening of people coming off the flight. There was no questions asked at immigration about my health or travels or if I even encountered anyone sick. For F's sake they didn't even use those stupid thermometer guns. Just a table of cute nurses sitting around looking cute - they could have been hired Pretties for all I know. 

Contrast this to when I entered the other country - asked about my travels at check-in, signed a form affirming what I said under severe financial penalty, upon arrival met with SERIOUS medical professionals who took temperatures, again questioned travel and health. Finally at immigration questioned again about my recent travel (foreigners are prohibited from using the auto-channel at this time).

This is how a responsible government acts to protect its residents. Not like the clown show the Thais put on every day.

Interesting and thanks for sharing your experience 

• Like 2

They will understand the meaning of "crisis" if/when this infection does get a foothold in Thailand. The loss of 90% of Chinese tourists that are mostly Zero Dollar based is nothing compared the economic and healthcare cost toll that they will face in trying to contain an outbreak if he is wrong.

The only assumption I can make on the lack of spread in Thailand is that the virus does not do well in warmer climates - China and Hong Kong are colder now and Singapore is largely all enclosed air-conditioned space, which virus's just love. Thailand has less air-con exposure in homes and the rural areas and people generally walk outside as air connectivity between buildings is much lower.

Yes surprised that Thailand does not seem to be showing  

increases in the numbers with the virus proving positive last count 35 

With Chinese tourists still coming in to Thailand  yes numbers down 

Yet Japan  Korea and other countries have their numbers being found positive increasing daily

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, christophe75 said:

It's a real show today.

Big increases :

- 20 new cases in South Korea (51 total)
- 10 new cases in Japan (84 total)

Those 2 countries along with Singapore are the real acid test.

Because more developped than Thailand... And a little more serious about things....

Especially Tokyo, because it has exactly the same weather than Wuhan.

And pressure is huge with the Olympic games.

Furthermore, but it's just a feeling, japanese like hygiene. And this virus must annoy/disturb them big times (more than the radioactive fumes from Fukushima....)

Singapore is tropical. So there is still the idea of weather (warm) that could weaken the virus.

-79 news cases on the ship... total 624.. At this stage, the whole thing is just grotesque... Let's say that all the 3700 passengers are infected.

This idea of "quarantine" on a big ship... is just a disaster.

Singapore + 3

HK + 1

Even... Iran has... 2 cases.

But Thailand sou sou... 35. Since 2 days.

The thing is... The official is right : "we don't hide new cases".

They just do not look for them !

????

Classic thai (white) lie.

Anyway... In 2 weeks we will know for sure. If the exponential line continues... 

What exponential line? On the non Thai news this morning they indicate the infection rate is dropping off.

6 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

What exponential line? On the non Thai news this morning they indicate the infection rate is dropping off.

It's close to exponential in Singapore, Japan and South Korea. If they are talking about Hubei then the Chinese government yet again changed the parameters for confirmed case.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, liddelljohn said:

I have been reading up on the COVID 19 virus and  in WUHAN and on the Cruise  ship in Japan  it seems that people can have 5 NEGATIVE tests  and then still prove positive for the virus   ,,its not a normal situation at all, there are lots of confusion even amongst  the doctor, epedemiologists  and experts about this new  virus   and its spread , diagnosis , tests and treatment .

Im due to travel to UK in 8 days  so that should be interesting  The Thais have cleared me to travel ????, but what happens when I get to Gatwick ?????? I will declare my  situation and be willing to undergo tests .

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/wuhan-novel-coronavirus-information-for-the-public

Travellers from other parts of China and other specified areas
This advice applies to travellers who have returned to the UK from the following areas:

China
Thailand
Japan
Republic of Korea
Hong Kong
Taiwan
Singapore
Malaysia
Macau
If you have returned to the UK from any of these areas in the last 14 days and develop symptoms of cough or fever or shortness of breath, you should immediately:

stay indoors and avoid contact with other people as you would with the flu
call NHS 111 to inform them of your recent travel to the country

1 hour ago, phkauf said:

I call bullsh!t on their claims of tough scrutiny of people arriving from affected countries. I came back from one of these countries (not China) on Tuesday and there was NO, ZERO, NADA additional screening of people coming off the flight. There was no questions asked at immigration about my health or travels or if I even encountered anyone sick. For F's sake they didn't even use those stupid thermometer guns. Just a table of cute nurses sitting around looking cute - they could have been hired Pretties for all I know. 

Contrast this to when I entered the other country - asked about my travels at check-in, signed a form affirming what I said under severe financial penalty, upon arrival met with SERIOUS medical professionals who took temperatures, again questioned travel and health. Finally at immigration questioned again about my recent travel (foreigners are prohibited from using the auto-channel at this time).

This is how a responsible government acts to protect its residents. Not like the clown show the Thais put on every day.

I believe there was a report in the Phuket News the other day essentially saying the same thing for Phuket Airport -- lots of incoming passengers who were supposed to be screened saying they had breezed right thru without any kinds of checks at all, despite the government's claims about extensive screening.

9 hours ago, ParkerN said:

I seriously doubt if the majority of the Thai public even understand what a virus is, much less what threat it represents to them

And I seriously doubt the veracity of that statement. They may not understand the scientific details of the virus (not many laymen do) but I can assure you the Thais I know well understand the risks and the mitigation factors to be used. The educational campaign about HIV a few years ago by Mr Cabbages and Condoms made sure of that.

10 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

I don't think it is Thai visitors, it is anyone entering Israel who has been to Thailand, the vast majority of whom will be native Israelis.

You are correct except that they will deny entry to non citizen. 

• Like 2

Suppose for a moment that this was handled very badly from as far back as 4 weeks ago and certain people are now reluctant to admit that because of "saving face" or what ever you want to call it and are now trying to defend the indefensible "commonly known as Thainess"

If that were true it is too late to do anything about it, the virus will have already infected so many people that it is beyond controlling - what could Thailand actually do about it short of doing what is being done in China - and that will never happen here, they might treat people in hospitals until there is no room left, after that they will send people home instructing them to self isolate and hope for the best and not to talk about it on social media under threat of arrest

Basically what I am saying - if this was the case (and I am not saying it is) there is literally nothing to do about it - it will have gone beyond containment

The only question that remains - if this were to be the case should they come clean and admit it - what real difference would it make to any of us apart from possibly our own self isolation and reducing our interaction with others

I make clear I am not saying that this is what is happening in Thailand - it is simply a "what if"

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Yes, but there were for weeks and months before the situation in China became public. There are theories that is started there a lot earlier than that time. 

A Pharmacist friend in the USA says that viruses tend to spread less as the temperature rises? Maybe has something to do with why it's not spreading here as much? However I see that Singapore has problems so who knows?

3 minutes ago, smedly said:

Suppose for a moment that this was handled very badly from as far back as 4 weeks ago and certain people are now reluctant to admit that because of "saving face" or what ever you want to call it and are now trying to defend the indefensible "commonly known as Thainess"

If that were true it is too late to do anything about it, the virus will have already infected so many people that it is beyond controlling - what could Thailand actually do about it short of doing what is being done in China - and that will never happen here, they might treat people in hospitals until there is no room left, after that they will send people home instructing them to self isolate and hope for the best and not to talk about it on social media under threat of arrest

Basically what I am saying - if this was the case (and I am not saying it is) there is literally nothing to do about it - it will have gone beyond containment

The only question that remains - if this were to be the case should they come clean and admit it - what real difference would it make to any of us apart from possibly our own self isolation and reducing our interaction with others

I make clear I am not saying that this is what is happening in Thailand - it is simply a "what if"

You come across as scared to death that somebody might accuse you of saying what you are actually trying to say, too funny.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, saengd said:

You come across as scared to death that somebody might accuse you of saying what you are actually trying to say, too funny.

second time you have accused me of that - read my post and take it at face value

if you don't like my input then block me - simple

1 hour ago, christophe75 said:

This latest news just answered one of my previous question...

"2 passengers of the Diamond Princess cruise ship have died of coronavirus"

An 87 year old man and an 84 year old woman both with previous underlying health conditions.

Reports also of "sloppy" precautions against contamination, that the crew were not in isolation and moved around the ship and entered passengers cabins.

Helps to provide the fuller details and not try to sensationalise.

• Like 1

Prayuth has ordered Thailand to be virus free. Health officials have reached that. The numbers are evidence... A story of great success...

90% drop in Chinese coming to Thailand is a good thing but it happens only now after 3 months of unlimited virus spread. Thailand now does not need Chinese to further spread it. All visiting foreigners and all Thais do that. Even to Saudi Arabia, Iran and other places. Chinese do not go to those places but Iranians and Arabs come to... guess...Pattaya... and take home the Corona...

And Thais, they were cheap labourers in China, even in Wuhan, took home the Chinese gift so that now all Thais can enjoy it... They don't need Chinese to spread it further any more, they can do it alone...

I want to know what happened to the hundreds of suspicious cases? Did they ever do blood testing or just test for fever? 

As long as you are afraid of bad numbers you don't take action to get them...

Edited by P100

Not really on topic, but I'm encouraged by these statistics relating to age/numbers and fatalities...

Children 0-9 are lauging - no fatalities, then the masses of cases from 9 up to 49 show 0.9% fatality. We start worrying at 50-60 with 1.3 fatalities, and over 60 it's getting ugly at 3.6%, over 70 8.8%.

The fatalities are also split 2.8% men and 1.7% for women - with 60% of Chinese men smoking I'm sure that's a huge factor. Not sure how much it helps if you quit smoking a year or two back...

• Like 1