Global warming causing 'irreversible' mass melting in Antarctica - scientist

snoop1130

On 2/28/2020 at 1:25 PM, bristolboy said:

Thank you for your factual contributions to this discussion. Your mastery of the data is truly remarkable.

Unlike yourself I understand science. Only people who don't understand science are fooled by this doomsday cult.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bristolboy said:

Actually not. If strong measures are taken now, the global mean temperature will be 1.5 degrees higher and extratropical conditions considerably more so.

But even if what you contend were true, do you think that just possibly, just maybe, it might possibly be relevant that there are now 750 times the number of humans that there were then and that humans on the average consume many many times the resources than they did then?

But it is good to have a denialist acknowledge that global temperature has not been rising due to recovery from the last period of glaciation. And in fact, gradually declining. Until recently.

Wiki is your version of science. Deary me, Wiki is a lefty website that promotes opinions as science.

Laughable.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, bristolboy said:

Actually not. If strong measures are taken now, the global mean temperature will be 1.5 degrees higher and extratropical conditions considerably more so.

But even if what you contend were true, do you think that just possibly, just maybe, it might possibly be relevant that there are now 750 times the number of humans that there were then and that humans on the average consume many many times the resources than they did then?

But it is good to have a denialist acknowledge that global temperature has not been rising due to recovery from the last period of glaciation. And in fact, gradually declining. Until recently.

according to one of the reviews you thought suggested a warming in 70'is,

they suggested relation is warming more in arctic then tropics,

and gave ratio if tropics warms 0.7c, arctic would warm 1c.

consumption is irrelevant to temperature but it will take increasingly more

energy to harvest and recycle raw material according to the basic premise of

'nothing is destroyed but everything spreads',

its going to take increasing robotization and energy to collect as we

carry on littering.

earth has recovered 0.26c every century since the depth of minor ice age,

that is now nearly half a millennia of a constant uninterrupted linear recovery,

with the biggest anomaly being in the 1700-1710 interval.

i and many others fear that warming is now coming to an end,

and we are about to enter a reverse, maybe even another minor ice age

temp co2 1650 2020.jpg

Edited by brokenbone

Meanwhile

https://www.livescience.com/uncharted-island-discovered-antarctica.html

"Melting ice in Antarctica reveals new uncharted island

By Brandon Specktor - Senior Writer 12 hours ago

Researchers are calling it Sif Island, after a Norse goddess of the Earth."

Here's the science as explained in the article:

"It's likely that the island emerged due to a process called glacial rebound, Lindsay Prothro, a glacial geologist at Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi who was not involved with the expedition, told Nature.com. When glacial ice melts, it relieves pressure on the underlying continent; in response, the continent may "rebound," or rise up higher than it previously was."

And here's the 8th grade alt-right climate denial "science" we've all come to know, love and, sadly, expect:

Obvious further proof that not only aren't the seas rising, but they're actually falling. That's why the new island appeared. Falling seas. This is why we need the ice to melt faster because the ocean is draining and needs a refill.

1 hour ago, thaicurious said:

Surveys of climate scientists have found strong agreement (97–98%) regarding AGW amongst publishing climate experts (Doran and Zimmerman 2009,

no, its 2-3%, but zimmerman & fellow enthusiastic amateurs

cherry picked among the answers, so instead of making a statistic from

all that could be ar$ed to reply to this amateur survey,

zimmerman picked 77 out of the 2000+ responses,  then subtracted 2 from 77,

and then divided 75/77 to reach the premeditated percentage she had set out to do. there aint a statistician that could keep his work if he published

this anywhere, but the buyers of this gibberish aint picky with methodology.

there is nothing sciency about this survey, its amateur propaganda

Edited by brokenbone
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, thaicurious said:

Rather than using a poll, another group of researchers in 2010 attempted

in case you refer to john cook of your favorite blog scepticalsciencynonsense,

i read one of the articles he refer to as 'yai agree its man made global warming',

it turns out the article was intended for agriculture in egypt

where they forecast a minor temp increase in future.

unlike the amateurs, i read the entire article rather then the abstract,

and not a single sentence in that article mentioned co2 or man made,

this is M.O among the jay sayers i believe, bristolboy brought up

same stuff about how most everyone was in consensus it was warming in the 70's,

but on a closer look those reviews listed as in support of global warming TM

didnt ever suggest warming or co2, its just wishful thinking,

they just see the buzz words: warming co2 and automatically

assume that means the article supports global warming hypothesis

Edited by brokenbone
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, brokenbone said:

in case you refer to john cook...

A. Yikes to your entire line of "reasoning"

B. What you quoted me as saying, that.... 

7 hours ago, brokenbone said:

7 hours ago, thaicurious said:

Rather than using a poll, another group of researchers in 2010 attempted

Is just another one of your lies because that was not what "thaicurious said" as you have misrepresented in your quoting, rather what thaicurious quoted from what https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/fact-checker said.

That's not the first time you've clearly twisted truth in this short encounter. You'd already done a similar disservice to facts when you posted...

9 hours ago, brokenbone said:

10 hours ago, thaicurious said:

Surveys of climate scientists have found strong agreement (97–98%) regarding AGW amongst publishing climate experts (Doran and Zimmerman 2009,

...because that also was nothing I said but that was merely a quote (not from me as you've misrepresented) but from https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/8/2/024024

And I've already noted that you also misrepresented my words when you started harping on the content of what I'd posted when I'd already specified that I'd posted what I posted (not for it's content but) for it's readability in comparing the evaluated grade level of an actual science paper with your bogus "scientific" evidence. If I recall the actual science paper read at grade level 15 (college) while the alt-right "science paper" was eighth grade.

So that's three times in this short period of time that you've been caught and shown to be misrepresenting facts, making you by your own words and your own actions a serial liar. I don't know for certain if you are being purposely deceptive or if you simply don't know how to quote making it look that way or if you've a issue of pathological lying. Whichever way, say what you will and have a nice day. I see no obligation on my part to continue engaging further this nonsense.

Edited by thaicurious

40 minutes ago, Forethat said:

It's important to point out that being ignorant, incompetent, intellectually disadvantaged and incapable of interpreting facts is by no means a punishable offence.  

image.png

Its also hot. Thats what climate change does. Gives extremes.

The science is settled.

4 minutes ago, Sujo said:

The science is settled.

It is ? Bloody hell when did that happen.

What is the ideal temp for the planet?

What is the ideal CO2 level for the planet?

I only know that something like below about 140 ppm the plants will die off.

Parts of the planet are up to 50% greener than they were in 1986 according to NASA. Plants love CO2.

I am in total agreement about reducing ground level pollution, where mammals breath,  in cities. 

• Like 1

On 2/29/2020 at 6:35 PM, brokenbone said:

i and many others fear that warming is now coming to an end,

and we are about to enter a reverse, maybe even another minor ice age

If that is true, seems that Gaia is about to do something about humans destroying our environment with exploitation and pollution. If the doomsayers are correct, and the world we live in vanishes Gaia wins either way.

It's interesting to me that while the pro man made warming masses are running around saying that we "must do something" ( though ideas are in short supply for things affordable, acceptable and doable ) the forests in Sth America, Africa and SEA disappear before our eyes in a cloud of smoke, with barely a wimper of protest.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If that is true, seems that Gaia is about to do something about humans destroying our environment with exploitation and pollution. If the doomsayers are correct, and the world we live in vanishes Gaia wins either way.

It's interesting to me that while the pro man made warming masses are running around saying that we "must do something" ( though ideas are in short supply for things affordable, acceptable and doable ) the forests in Sth America, Africa and SEA disappear before our eyes in a cloud of smoke, with barely a wimper of protest.

as consumption increases due to more and richer humans,

higher atmospheric co2 levels becomes necessary to boost plant growth

to keep up with demand.

dr patrick moore has more on co2 relation, heres my favorite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0Z5FdwWw_c

Edited by brokenbone

Meanwhile, back in reality:

In the Antarctic, the rate of ice loss slowed considerably over the month of January. During the month, extent declined 3.19 million square kilometers (1.23 million square miles), which is slower than the 1981 to 2010 average loss of 3.79 million square kilometers (1.46 million square miles).

http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/

21 minutes ago, Sujo said:

Speaking of reality. Climate change is real and man made climate change is real. Those are the facts.

If you prefer to believe the 1% then thats a matter for you.

Please refrain from personal attacks. Thanks.

I provided a snapshot into the world of reality and facts. I even provided a link.

More interesting facts:

Climate change is real. Man made climate change is a real hypothesis. THOSE are the facts.

• Haha 1

On 2/19/2020 at 7:03 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Speaking of reality. Climate change is real and man made climate change is real. Those are the facts.

Sujo, please explain the last 11 interglacial ( earth warming periods) when we had no man made pollution. 

Capture.JPG

Edited by Thomas J
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

Sujo, please explain the last 11 interglacial ( earth warming periods) when we had no man made pollution. 

Capture.JPG

Why is a quote box from me included in that post? Please delete it as your post is nothing to do with me.

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

Yes climate change is real. Has been ever since the planet had a climate.

Man made climate change is also real, but the degree to which man has changed climate is not proven.

The difference is Wall Street stands to make billions or trillions on carbon trading and mother nature does not.

• Like 1

On 2/20/2020 at 12:59 PM, bristolboy said:

Actually, if any group is standing in the way of population shrinkage it's the extreme right which consistently opposes family planning. In the US the Trump adminstration has cut off support for Planned Parenthood on the one hand, but increased support for abstinence counseling. It has also reduced support for family planning programs abroad.

Farsical.

I dont know what to say here, the industrialized nations where abortion is predominant, and people are having less children, is suffering from declining population, or has stable population. It's absolutely mind boggling this comment. This likewise coincides with women in large numbers, making up an educated workforce. 

Which is why there is such a strong global push to educate women, as this causes a rise in Gdp  and income per capita, as well as drops in national birthrate. Abortion, further  should not be viewed as a form of birth control.

As for family planning abroad, the United States of America should not be in the business of aiding the abortion of African babies because liberal relatively rich white people in the USA are worried about such African nations birthrate. Let france worry about that, if they feel concern for populations in their former colonies.

• Like 1