Global warming causing 'irreversible' mass melting in Antarctica - scientist

snoop1130

12 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I'm a retired research scientist, and I'll stop screaming when posters on TV show even a minuscule understanding of the Second Law of Thermodynamics. Which, loosely translated, says there are no free lunches.

As for polluting the minds of children, how about the millions that receive religious instruction daily?

Electricity derived from solar and wind power is the fuel of the future. Admittedly not for aircraft, but everything else.

The US has met its goals? Trump appoints a fossil fuel executive as Secretary of the EPA. Yeah right.

This has nothing to do with Religions man. Do you see what I mean, that is bleedover. Your fight is with far more then climate isn't it? You are wrong about solar and wind. There is not enough and wind comes with its own issues as - YOU KNOW - if you are a research scientist who worked in that field. Those goals met by the USA have nothing to do with Trump - Once again, I ask that you examine yourself and your motives. If you have issues with conservatives in general say so . IF you have issues with Donald Trump say so, if you are opposed to religious people, and don't like churches, those are your problems. AND I DO MEAN THOSE ARE YOUR PROBLEMS. but those issues have nothing to do with the science. You are being programmed by you email inbox and what you watch.  That is why I walked to the right. I began to notice that it was one big umbrella of issues that one must BELIEVE. A basket of MUST BELIEVE. and MUST give money to. 

If you believe there is a Revolution that needs to happen right now to save the World then you owe it to yourself to save it, otherwise you are nothing but a weak willed individual afraid to act. I ask that before you act you check your beliefs. Thoroughly.

Communists they believe. They decide they want to re-educate everyone else - get religion out of their heads, get ideas that are not in agreement with the program OUT OF THEIR HEADS, they have zero tolerance for dissent because dissent is against their program of saving the world.

SO I ask you DO YOU have a program for saving the world? Do you?

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Information from right-wing status quo sources, I'd say at a rough guess. Alternative facts is the popular expression.

Your behavior is wrongful. I suggest, politely that you take a little trip over there to Judithcurry.com and begin to post - post your dissent. post your argument. But post, so you can get replies both from those who agree with you, and those who do not, on whatever you are posting about. You are not getting that kind of scientific stimulus you need over here. Seriously, if you want to discuss issues at the level you should be discuss with your peers over there. Bring your evidence, and prepare to be agreed with and disagreed with.

• Sad 1

https://skepticalscience.com/skeptic_Judith_Curry.htm

Climate Misinformation by Source: Judith Curry

https://skepticalscience.com/Judith_Curry_quote.htm

Quotes by Judith Curry

Climate Myth (vs) What the Science Says

https://skepticalscience.com/Judith_Curry_art.htm

Click on any article to view climate myths used by Curry plus what the science says

https://skepticalscience.com/Judith_Curry_arg.htm

Favourite climate myths by Judith Curry

Below are many of the climate myths used by Judith Curry plus how often each myth has been used

Climate myths by Curry (vs) What the Science Says

"The key to debunking myths...comes from psychology...

...how to effectively respond to misinformation..."

• Sad 1

Just now, thaicurious said:

https://skepticalscience.com/skeptic_Judith_Curry.htm

Climate Misinformation by Source: Judith Curry

https://skepticalscience.com/Judith_Curry_quote.htm

Quotes by Judith Curry

Climate Myth (vs) What the Science Says

https://skepticalscience.com/Judith_Curry_art.htm

Click on any article to view climate myths used by Curry plus what the science says

https://skepticalscience.com/Judith_Curry_arg.htm

Favourite climate myths by Judith Curry

Below are many of the climate myths used by Judith Curry plus how often each myth has been used

Climate myths by Curry (vs) What the Science Says

"The key to debunking myths...comes from psychology...

...how to effectively respond to misinformation..."

You are simply behaving as a propagandist here. Instead of this childish nonsense pointing to leftist politically motivated drival attempting to ruin the reputation of this woman may I politely suggest you go over to her website Judithcurry.com and have a read, and look around. you will find plenty of posters who are against her findings and other findings as this is a place of much debate and you will certainly find a few friends. but its not a place for this sort of nonsense. If you want to discuss science and learn go over there. This is childish. And not the first time its been posted here. Judithcurry.com  debate your heart out over there.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Luckily for us those trying to ameliorate the effects of man made climate change aren't insane really.

As to your change of heart on voting, why do you feel the need to share with me? I don't care. And to be honest I'm looking for the salt to get a pinch...

And after reading the first part of your post, I'll ignore the final part, I can think for myself. 

And I don't need life lessons from someone who believes it is ok to kill for a cause.

Everyone believes it's ok to kill for a cause don't kid yourself. Would you kill to save the life of your own mother? YES, thought so, take it up from there and this philosophy game can be played all day. There is nothing less human about you then me or vice versa. Pacifism is simply a lie. Virtue signaling about your desire to be perfect will not make you so.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

I don't believe it's ok to kill for a cause.

As for the rest of your rant post...it's remarkable how one can be wrong about so much...

So if I entered your house with a machete to hack your family to bits you would cower under a bed? I didn't think so. So if I was walking down the street shooting your friends and neighbors you wouldn't use deadly force to stop me? Sure you would. So if you thought your children were going to fail to grow past 18 because of climate disaster you would not take drastic action to stop it? Really? You must not be a true believer.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, WalkingOrders said:

So if I entered your house with a machete to hack your family to bits you would cower under a bed? I didn't think so. So if I was walking down the street shooting your friends and neighbors you wouldn't use deadly force to stop me? Sure you would. So if you thought your children were going to fail to grow past 18 because of climate disaster you would not take drastic action to stop it? Really? You must not be a true believer.

Care to get back on topic instead of posting this type of nonsense?

• Confused 2

1 minute ago, Bluespunk said:

Care to get back on topic instead of posting this type of nonsense?

Sorry I thought you were defending a position on being passive and doing nothing while allowing the planet to come to a horrible end inside the next 10 years. one that is going to immediately end all life on earth. That little girl Greta... she is a true believer! She is coming after everyone! Me I don't believe it.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, WalkingOrders said:

Sorry I thought you were defending a position on being passive and doing nothing while allowing the planet to come to a horrible end inside the next 10 years. one that is going to immediately end all life on earth. That little girl Greta... she is a true believer! She is coming after everyone! Me I don't believe it.

No, I was pointing out that killing for a cause is insanity and we are lucky that those trying to introduce polices that will help tackle man made climate change have a better grasp on reality.

Rambo was fiction.

You are the only person I have seen claiming the world will end in ten years.

Man made climate change is real and is a threat we need to counter.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

4 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

No, I was pointing out that killing for a cause is insanity and we are lucky that those trying to introduce polices that will help tackle man made climate change have a better grasp on reality.

Rambo was fiction.

You are the only person I have seen claiming the world will end in ten years.

Man made climate change is real and is a threat we need to counter.

I make no such claim that the world is ending in 10 years, I am repeating a claim I have heard climate activists make. I have pointed out clearly I am a non believer in any such catastrophe approaching. 

I was pointing out that NOT killing for a cause if you truly believe that the cause is dire, a threat to all human life for example, IS insanity. Rambo was fiction but George Washington, WInston Churchill, Abraham Lincoln, Admiral Horatio Nelson, etc were all true believers in a cause that they believed to be Just and urgent. What cowards they would have been if they failed to see the righteousness of their actions.

Man made climate change, may be part of non-man made climate change, and the degree, and speed of change, and effects, are all under dispute. As well as what is the appropriate remedial action to take. All of this is about numbers being argued. What exactly is your position? That you wish to force others to believe as you do? Or take issue with us in some negative way? Bash our intellectual capacity etc? 

• Sad 1

30 minutes ago, WalkingOrders said:

politically motivated drival attempting to ruin the reputation of this woman

https://skepticalscience.com/print.php?n=4669

Judith Curry's penchant for propagating climate myths, as documented on her 'Misinformation by Source' page, would make it difficult for academic institutions to hire her.  After all, accurately informing and educating the public is a key goal of most academic institutions.  Misinforming the public runs counter to their goals.  It's Curry's own words that are the problem, not the Skeptical Science page that catalogs them.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, WalkingOrders said:

I make no such claim that the world is ending in 10 years, I am repeating a claim I have heard climate activists make. I have pointed out clearly I am a non believer in any such catastrophe approaching. 

I was pointing out that NOT killing for a cause if you truly believe that the cause is dire, a threat to all human life for example, IS insanity. Rambo was fiction but George Washington, WInston Churchill, Abraham Lincoln, Admiral Horatio Nelson, etc were all true believers in a cause that they believed to be Just and urgent. What cowards they would have been if they failed to see the righteousness of their actions.

Man made climate change, may be part of non-man made climate change, and the degree, and speed of change, and effects, are all under dispute. As well as what is the appropriate remedial action to take. All of this is about numbers being argued. What exactly is your position? That you wish to force others to believe as you do? Or take issue with us in some negative way? Bash our intellectual capacity etc? 

The post of yours i quoted is the only one I've seen making a claim the world will end in 1o years.

I've made no such claim.

• Like 1

Just now, thaicurious said:

https://skepticalscience.com/print.php?n=4669

Judith Curry's penchant for propagating climate myths, as documented on her 'Misinformation by Source' page, would make it difficult for academic institutions to hire her.  After all, accurately informing and educating the public is a key goal of most academic institutions.  Misinforming the public runs counter to their goals.  It's Curry's own words that are the problem, not the Skeptical Science page that catalogs them.

I think you are repeatedly posting links to the same website. I don't know why. I was very kind and suggested that rather then trying to force feed these links from a known biased website, that you simply go over to Judith curry and tell her directly what you think, or perhaps discuss with some very knowledgeable scientists over there. They are on both sides of the issues which really is far more then two sides, as its all very complex, but they will respond to you. As for your repeatedly posting links from this same site that do not even have  byline. Well its a bit much don't you think? Judithcurry.com

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, WalkingOrders said:

OK fair enough how urgent is it?

Plenty of links out there to the IPCC reports from the last few years,  their reports lay out what we need to do and how long we have until we enter a situation we can no longer prevent. .

Edited by Bluespunk
typo
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Tens of thousands? Where?

I suppose that's why corporations and financial institutions world-wide are withdrawing from the fossil fuel industry, doing their due diligence on risk, and refusing to extend loans on new coal mines. It's only governments that are continuing the charade. Looks like your tens of thousands are failing to persuade them. But then, perhaps they are smarter than you.

Time will tell who is "smart". You need to do some research into the origins of the climate change scare story, who is pushing it and why.

If you need help, message me and I can provide links. This platform is inadequate for an in-depth debate on this vital issue.

• Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, WalkingOrders said:

...links from a known biased website...that do not even have  byline.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skeptical_Science

a climate science blog and information resource created in 2007 by Australian cognitive scientist John Cook....the site maintains a database of articles analyzing the merit of arguments put forth by those who oppose the mainstream scientific opinion on climate change.

https://skepticalscience.com/endorsements.shtml

"this is the best resource for information on climate myths on the internet. I can't recommend it highly enough. They even have an iPhone app!"

Katharine Hayhoe
Professor in the Department of Political Science and director of the Climate Science Center at Texas Tech University

"There's a great website called Skeptical Science that has sort of a list of all of the various myths about climate change that have become commonplace in sort of among those who deny the reality of climate change and the actual scientific responses."

Michael Mann
Director of the Earth System Science Center, Penn State

"It is extremely helpful that I can just point these people to Skeptical Science, so I don't need to answer the same things again and again."

Stefan Rahmstorf
Professor of Physics of the Oceans at Potsdam University in Germany

"I frequently refer people to it. This is extraordinary in terms of advancing knowledge about climate change."

Naomi Oreskes
Professor of the History of Science, Harvard University, Co-author of Merchants of Doubt

"Skeptical Science is a fantastic resource for debunking misinformation about climate change..."

Simon Donner
Professor, Department of Geography, University of British Columbia

etc.

etc.

etc.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

47 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I'm a retired research scientist, and I'll stop screaming when posters on TV show even a minuscule understanding of the Second Law of Thermodynamics. Which, loosely translated, says there are no free lunches.

no, that is a grave misunderstanding of that law,

what it states is that in a closed system, as in if there was no radiation from sun,

no background radiation, and no external gravity interacting with earth,

then everything on earth would statistically over time get homogenized

with no potential energy to be found.

6 minutes ago, thaicurious said:

a climate science blog and information resource created in 2007 by Australian cognitive scientist John Cook

are you even listening to yourself ?

a quacksalver selling illiterate statistics and you think he has anything

to add to an issue that is physics by nature,

at least before politics and propaganda wrenched it out of the hands

of properly educated physicists, mathematicians, and historians

47 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Plenty of links out there to the IPCC reports from the last few years,  their reports lay out what we need to do and how long we have until we enter a situation we can no longer prevent. .

There's a good boy (pat, pat, purr, purr).

51 minutes ago, brokenbone said:

...out of the hands

of properly educated physicists, mathematicians, and historians

1 hour ago, thaicurious said:

https://skepticalscience.com/endorsements.shtml

"this is the best resource for information on climate myths on the internet. I can't recommend it highly enough. They even have an iPhone app!"

Katharine Hayhoe
Professor in the Department of Political Science and director of the Climate Science Center at Texas Tech University

"There's a great website called Skeptical Science that has sort of a list of all of the various myths about climate change that have become commonplace in sort of among those who deny the reality of climate change and the actual scientific responses."

Michael Mann
Director of the Earth System Science Center, Penn State

"It is extremely helpful that I can just point these people to Skeptical Science, so I don't need to answer the same things again and again."

Stefan Rahmstorf
Professor of Physics of the Oceans at Potsdam University in Germany

"I frequently refer people to it. This is extraordinary in terms of advancing knowledge about climate change."

Naomi Oreskes
Professor of the History of Science, Harvard University, Co-author of Merchants of Doubt

"Skeptical Science is a fantastic resource for debunking misinformation about climate change..."

Simon Donner
Professor, Department of Geography, University of British Columbia

etc.

etc.

etc.

I went scuba diving in the Florida keys two weeks ago, I had not being there for about twenty years. Molasses Reef was a pale imitation of its former self. Very sad!!

I want to take my daughter to see the reef before it is gone .

In the meantime the idiots a whistling in the dark, and the fat cats are laughing all the way to the bank.  

Very sad!! very sad indeed. 

Edited by sirineou
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, thaicurious said:

its a propaganda site, the owner john cook himself has written

a piece of propaganda on 97% consensus which is bs from start to finish,

i read the blog myself when he and fellow amateurs were discussing

how to vote on various abstracts, it was clear they werent doing valid statistics,

they wanted to reach an outcome, a propaganda to peddle

catherine heyhoe of political science u say ?

am i spose to be impressed by her credentials ?

Edited by brokenbone

3 hours ago, sirineou said:

I went scuba diving in the Florida keys two weeks ago, I had not being there for about twenty years. Molasses Reef was a pale imitation of its former self. Very sad!!

I want to take my daughter to see the reef before it is gone .

In the meantime the idiots a whistling in the dark, and the fat cats are laughing all the way to the bank.  

Very sad!! very sad indeed. 

reefs conditions is a very local phenomena, they could well be in a good

interval of a cycle just a few miles in any direction, you were unlucky