People over 50 most at risk of Covid-19 infection

snoop1130

People over 50 most at risk of Covid-19 infection

By The Nation

800_789d0d94506b82b.jpg

People over 50-years old, especially those with congenital diseases, are more prone to coronavirus (Covid-19) infection, said Prof Doctor Yong Poovorawan, head of the Centre of Excellence in Clinical Virology at the Faculty of Medicine, Chulalongkorn University.

Yong posted on his Facebook page on Wednesday (February 19) a summary of the Chinese government's study on Covid-19 from more than 72,000 infected patients in the country:

1. Most patients are between 30 and 79-years old , accounting for 90 per cent of the total.

2. 80.9 per cent of patients have slight symptoms and breathe no more than 30 times per minute. Meanwhile, those who have pneumonia account for 13.8 per cent with 4.7 per cent in serious condition.

3. Of 416 patients, no children under 10-years old died, while the death rate of patients aged between 10 and 40 was 0.2 per cent, 0.4 per cent in patients aged 40-50 years, 1.3 per cent in patients aged 50-60 years, 3.6 per cent in patients aged 60-69 years, 8 per cent in patients aged 70-79 years, and 14.8 per cent in patients aged over 80 years.

4. Patients who are medical personnel were 3.8 per cent.

5. The ratio between male and female patients infected with coronavirus was 51.4 to 48.6. The death rate of male patients was 2.8 per cent, females 1.7 per cent.

6. Most of the deceased patients had other diseases, such as high blood pressure 39.7 per cent, heart disease 22.7 per cent, chronic respiratory disease 7.9 per cent, and cancer 1.5 per cent. However, patients who died from the infection with no congenital disease accounted for 32.8 per cent.

7. According to the data, there are many children and adults infected with the virus but yet to show full symptoms. They will be tested soon. 

He added that China CDC Weekly on Monday (February 17) put the death rate in China at 4,584, of which 8 people or 0.08 per cent were below 30- years old and 0.3 per cent, between 30 to 50-years old.

"This disease is more dangerous to people over 50-years old , especially those suffering from congenital disease. They must take care of themselves through regular medical treatment and stay healthy," Dr Yong added.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30382424

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-02-19
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

I am 71 years old, I live full time in Thailand but I fear nothing, the Prime Minister of Thailand keeps repeating that everything is under control at 1000% and that Covid-19 will never enter Thailand because it has fear of the military ... :giggle:

1000 %? And i thought 399 % would be the top. You never stop learning new things. Thank you, sir. 

I'm more afraid of Pinocchio and his watch friend. A  virus infection can be cured.....

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

Finally an age breakdown of mortality rates: 

Of a source group of 416 patients:

- under 10yrs: None died

- 10-40yrs 0.2% died

- 40-50yrs: 0.4% died

- 50-60yrs: 1.3% died

- 60-69yrs: 3.6% died

- 70-79yrs: 8% died

- 80+ 14.8% died

This is good information.

You might rather die of a falling coconut, or nonsense the government tells you, causing a heart attack, than dying of the Coronavirus. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

- 10-40yrs 0.2% died

- 80+ 14.8% died

Seems to match with pneumonia in general: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6901688/

Over 60's, smoking, hypertension are risk groups in that study. In China air pollution is likely a risk factor equivalent to smoking. Breathe in PM2.5 all your life and your lungs are shot, ready to be infected.

Edited by DrTuner

Corona has sure hindered my plans this week my 92 year old disabled deaf father who I look after 24/4 whilst I'm here he is in the UK via cams and auto answering skype lights/heating meds finance etc got taken into hospital last Friday the same day as the most hideous flu raced through my house rendering me unfit to fly for obvious reasons.

After days of snot coughing and high temp and as his condition is now terminal I don't have a choice I have reluctantly booked flights on friday and hope my residue subsides and I'm not to late happy days are thin on the ground right now????

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Isaanbiker said:

- 10-40yrs 0.2% died

- 80+ 14.8% died

this reminds me of one senior thai politician response to the floods problem that hit bangkok.

he said, in those exact words: "sure we can control it 50-50 precent"

Edited by SCOTT FITZGERSLD

1 hour ago, DrTuner said:

Seems to match with pneumonia in general: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6901688/

Over 60's, smoking, hypertension are risk groups in that study. In China air pollution is likely a risk factor equivalent to smoking. Breathe in PM2.5 all your life and your lungs are shot, ready to be infected.

Chinese men also smoke like men in the West in the 1960's, about half of them smoking. Even without smoking the air pollution is so bad in Asian megacities that many 40-year-olds outdoor workers have lungs that of 70-year-old. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

- 10-40yrs 0.2% died

- 80+ 14.8% died

I'm very curious as to why children appear to be protected from this virus.

(**Caution**) Serious armchair epidemiology here... but I recall some talk about a potential link between receiving a recent MMR vaccination and coronavirus (original SARS) protection. Thanks to the antivaxxer movement here in the states I received an MMR booster a year ago, so in a bizarre twist I might be oddly grateful to the antivaxxers.

source: https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/01/26/2019-ncov-china-epidemic-pandemic-the-wuhan-coronavirus-a-tentative-clinical-profile/

"Yet few children have yet been reported with coronavirus symptoms. That does not mean that no children have been infected. A similar pattern of benign disease in children, with increasing severity and mortality with age, was seen in SARS and MERS. 

Edited by metisdead
14) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences.
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

I am 71 years old, I live full time in Thailand but I fear nothing, the Prime Minister of Thailand keeps repeating that everything is under control at 1000% and that Covid-19 will never enter Thailand because it has fear of the military ... :giggle:

That'll be the submarines they so wisely bought I expect. Still, look on the bright side. Mr Prayuth says they'll make the neighbouring countries be in awe of Thailand.

Right. Got that.

Edited by ParkerN

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

People over 50-years old, especially those with congenital diseases, are more prone to coronavirus (Covid-19) infection, said Prof Doctor Yong Poovorawan

Personally I think that is misleading. Everyone is prone to a virus by its nature - it will just effect over 50's more adversely especially with other conditions.

12 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

- 10-40yrs 0.2% died

- 80+ 14.8% died

Don't you think, though, that if you arranged a statistical breakdown of people who die from anything, that older people have a greater mortality rate?  Cancer, heart disease, drowning in a bathtub....yeah, it's more likely to happen to older people to a greater degree than younger people.

I'm not saying the information is wrong, just saying that it may not be as relevant as it appears at first glance.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheAppletons said:
13 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

- 10-40yrs 0.2% died

- 80+ 14.8% died

Don't you think, though, that if you arranged a statistical breakdown of people who die from anything, that older people have a greater mortality rate?  Cancer, heart disease, drowning in a bathtub....yeah, it's more likely to happen to older people to a greater degree than younger people.

I'm not saying the information is wrong, just saying that it may not be as relevant as it appears at first glance.  

Yes, I thought, a little more than you it seems.

Your point is the same as suggestion that water will kill us all eventually as we all drink water and all die, older people are more at risk of dieing from drinking water... its a pretty dumb argument.

The facts are relevant, even with an attempt to polish them in ‘age defence’... 

Facts are emerging that older people are at far greater risk from Covid-19, yes obvious I know. However, the facts are relevant due to the risk being disproportionately elevated beyond the norm. 

Regular / Seasonal influenza places those older than 50 at 10x greater mortality risk than those in younger age brackets.  

As they stand and if accurate the stats show that Covid-19 presents far greater mortality risk for the ageing population than those under 50 yrs, a lot greater than 10x the risk.

This is just a glimpse, the numbers are still too small and the virus still to young, however there appears to be a clear elevated risk beyond the normal elevated risks associated with seasonal influenza for the ageing and those with existing chronic respiratory conditions. 

Edited by richard_smith237

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Facts are emerging that older people are at far greater risk from Covid-19, yes obvious I know. However, the facts are relevant due to the risks being elevated beyond the norm. 

Regular / Seasonal influenza places those older than 50 at 10x greater mortality risk than those in younger age brackets.  

As they stand and if accurate the stats show that Covid-19 presents far greater mortality risk for the ageing population than those under 50 yrs, a lot greater than 10x the risk.

Excellent.  So we agree. 

14 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

- 10-40yrs 0.2% died

- 80+ 14.8% died

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

They must take care of themselves through regular medical treatment and stay healthy,"

...Yes, stay healthy making regular exercises, biking, walking, swimming in SMOG SEASON.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1