People over 50 most at risk of Covid-19 infection

snoop1130

18 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

5. The ratio between male and female patients infected with coronavirus was 51.4 to 48.6. The death rate of male patients was 2.8 per cent, females 1.7 per cent.

15 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Finally an age breakdown of mortality rates: 

Of a source group of 416 patients:

- under 10yrs: None died

- 10-40yrs 0.2% died

- 40-50yrs: 0.4% died

- 50-60yrs: 1.3% died

- 60-69yrs: 3.6% died

- 70-79yrs: 8% died

- 80+ 14.8% died

This is good information.

These figures are from the confirmed cases and don't include the undetected cases.I recently found the following from an article in the following link.

Comparing this figure with reported case numbers, the team estimate only about 1 in 19 people infected with COVID-19 in Wuhan are being tested for infection and therefore being reported as confirmed cases. In turn this allowed them to estimate that the CFR of COVID-19 in people with detectable infection (including some who may never develop symptoms) is approximately 1% (uncertainty range: 0.5-4%).

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/195217/coronavirus-fatality-rate-estimated-imperial-scientists/

15 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

These figures are from the confirmed cases and don't include the undetected cases.

There's a problem with the death figures as well, Wuhan is in total lockdown and people are dying unattended in their homes. Very likely there are corpses that have not been found, or will never be included in the figures because no tests will be done on the dead.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheAppletons said:

Don't you think, though, that if you arranged a statistical breakdown of people who die from anything, that older people have a greater mortality rate?  Cancer, heart disease, drowning in a bathtub....yeah, it's more likely to happen to older people to a greater degree than younger people.

I'm not saying the information is wrong, just saying that it may not be as relevant as it appears at first glance.  

Two of my late dad's friend died on the bowling green whilst playing bowls. I never felt the need to follow them. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, URMySunshine said:

Two of my late dad's friend died on the bowling green whilst playing bowls. I never felt the need to follow them. 

Lawn bowls in Australia has the highest fatality rate of any sport played in the country.It's a pretty intense sport with lots of prizes and the cheapest beer,oh and plenty of poker machines.God forbid if the SARS corona 2 virus,which causes COVID 19, gets thrown into the mix.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Personally I think that is misleading. Everyone is prone to a virus by its nature - it will just effect over 50's more adversely especially with other conditions.

More prone. As he said.

>People over 50 most at risk of Covid-19 infection

Statistically yes, people over 50 are more vulnerable but only if their body defense mechanism is low.

Just keep your body in good shape by enough sleep, workouts, sport, walking, healthy food and a healthy way of living (don't smoke, use drugs or drink lots of alcohol) you minimize the risks.

Also regular sex is good for your body defense mechanism ????

Edited by sitanonchai
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

I am 71 years old, I live full time in Thailand but I fear nothing, the Prime Minister of Thailand keeps repeating that everything is under control at 1000% and that Covid-19 will never enter Thailand because it has fear of the military ... :giggle:

so if you are over 50 it's dangerous, phew, missed that one then, I'm over 70 so it won't affect me

4 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Undamaged lungs? Perhaps something to do with the ACE2 receptors. I'll google into it.

Found a study about ARDS and age: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/333101205_Age-dependent_differences_in_pulmonary_host_responses_in_ARDS_a_prospective_observational_cohort_study

Results: Levels of myeloperoxidase, interleukin (IL)-6, IL-10, and p-selectin were higher with increasing age, whereas intercellular adhesion molecule-1 was higher in neonates. No differences in activity of ACE and ACE2 were seen between the four age groups. 

Doesn't seem to be ACE2 when it comes to age. That seems to be more race related.

9 minutes ago, Scottdenny said:

Always the world over flu epidemics whatever the highest risk is always the very young the very old and anyone with a lung/heart condition so really no new info except here of course. Not Thai people bashing just common sense etc etc 

Apparently the very young are not as affected by  SARS COV 2/COVID 19 so this seems new info regarding this situation.

On 2/19/2020 at 6:26 AM, bangsaenguy said:

Would be nice to hear honest news from a reputable source

Nowhere is there any evidence to support the claim made in the article on this forum and the person making the claim is perpetuating false information.  If his claims were true they would have been published by the World Health Organization (WHO), the CDC in the States and other such institutions around the world who are recognised as being reliable sources of information. 

There is a massive amount of misinformation being spread deliberately around the world by persons who do not know what they are talking about.  I am in Toronto, where the date is 20 Feb, at 5:04 pm.  Just a few minutes ago, MSN.com put up the following by VOX:

Awful online coronavirus hoaxes keep popping up

Shirin Ghaffary

3 hrs ago
It is well worth reading if it is available.  I suggest, trying to get a copy, it is too long to transcribe here, but contains factual information and debunks many of the attempts by people on social media, although not mentioned, that would include ThaiVisa, to spread false "facts" concerning this virus.  Always go to the source for correct information because many posters do not know what they are talking about and so cannot verify or cannot backup their statements.
'nuf sed.
Edited by wotsdermatter
added info

On 2/19/2020 at 12:26 PM, bangsaenguy said:

Would be nice to hear honest news from a reputable source

Like this: https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html?fbclid=IwAR1N3QXJfu1H3Yw5OTehWI2W3Fnlrvqb9iHgSjwhjIk1KLdImFg29OjwPXQ#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Or did you mean news from Thailand, with your attitude it is clear you won't believe anything regardless who posts it.