Tourist sector in Phuket reeling from lack of Chinese tourists

webfact

3 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

Eating breakfast at a hotel this morning. No Chinese screaming across the dining area, no spitting, no kids touching everything in the buffet and no smoking in no-smoking areas. Pure bliss!!!!!

Agreed. At Suvarnabhumi airport picking up sister....nice and quiet, easy to park, no Chinese tour groups. God I love these health scares. I'm off to Oz i April...hopefully the ban on Chinese tourists will still be in place.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, madmitch said:

Are you basing this statement on one hotel? Did you look at the same dates you stayed before?

Many hotels have reduced their prices. Not all, for many reasons, but have a proper look and there are plenty of bargains out their.

It is total myth that Thai hotels put up prices in times of trouble. I know other businesses do but the hotel trade generally takes the approach that it's better to have an occupied hotel room, which helps to offset costs, than an empty one, hence the reason prices reduce dramatically during low season.

Do you live in Thailand and that's a serious question? I can vouch for the statement made by madmitch that in my limited experience of 18 years visiting and living in Thailand that the hotel industry "4 - 5 star that I have used (I generally use the same hotels as in a very loyal type person) put prices up to compensate for lack of customers and will sit with empty rooms even when you area loyal customer refusing to negotiate the price they had given you weeks before (one hotel we used regularly every 3 or 4 weeks was nearly 3 x higher than a few weeks before at 6,000baht for 2 nights to 15,000baht, the hotel was empty) on those ocations they loss my business forever.  So my meer experience is yes it is very common practice in Thailands hotel industry. 

14 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

Eating breakfast at a hotel this morning. No Chinese screaming across the dining area, no spitting, no kids touching everything in the buffet and no smoking in no-smoking areas. Pure bliss!!!!!

Yeah, I was just in Samui, only farangs and Thais around. But .. not really bliss because the infra has already been modified to suit Chinese. Empty fleecing stations like at the grannny rock were a sore sight. The general disrepair of things, as Chinese short term tours simply don't care about cleanliness, was also an eyesore. Sort of post-apocalyptic feeling. 

On 2/20/2020 at 7:42 AM, bridge2bridge said:

The price of hotel rooms have not dropped, in fact they have gone up.

I was going to Phuket in March.

But when i looked at the prices, maybe not.

One hotel i have stayed at before for B1,000 per night is now B1,500

Typical Thai logic( or lack of) no customers put the price up.

Where are you looking? which site try Agoda